How to eat properly while on vacation?

Options
Any tips on eating (at least moderately) well while going on a trip? I'll be going to Vegas for nearly a week, and that place is full of delicious food and drinks. I have been doing really well with eating within my 1200 (base) calorie per day limit, but I am afraid this week will put me back on the wrong path! If anybody has any great tips or tricks, I'd really love to hear them. Thanks :)

Replies

• hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Washington, D.C. at the beginning of June and do not want to miss out on the opportunity to eat well. SO, I'm going to set my calories to maintenance that week. It will up my allotment from 1200. I figure with all the walking around that I'll be doing sightseeing and trying to eat in moderation at that level will keep me from going bat crazy and eating everything in sight. Then when I get back home, I will lower my calories and get back at it!
  • carlytenney
    carlytenney Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Try to keep your portions smaller. For me it is always about the portions. After being on MFP for 7 months I now know what a portion of steak should be.
  • lisahewitt22
    lisahewitt22 Posts: 102
    Options
    Workout when you can and try to pick healthy choices but don't deprive yourself of all the good foods that will be around you.
  • Fay132010
    Fay132010 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    if you want to eat something then eat a bit of it, otherwise you'll end up not enjoying yourself.Allow yourself a "treat meal" (most likely dinner) in which you can have a healthy main and have a dessert as a treat. As is mentioned above you might be able to get away with eat a bit more if you are getting more exercise, but it's up to you.
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want and enjoy yourself. It's all about moderation!
  • Fay132010
    Fay132010 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    what i tend to do is eat less at breakfast and lunch, as i know i'll want to treat myself to a sorbet for dinner. i also find i don't fell as though i'm eatign less, as i'm drinking lots of water as i'm in a hotter country than i'm used to
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I eat the same kinds of food whether I'm at home or on vacation. My diet (noun) heavily revolves around veg and fruit and lean proteins with some whole grains and starches...I can go on vacation and find plenty of those options. Also portion control...if you're dining out just remember the restaurant portions are generally at least two actual servings.

If you're someone who just sucks on celery sticks all day...has pretty much eliminated all fat (because you think fat is bad) and just generally doesn't eat "real" food as part of your "diet" then you might have a problem on vacation.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Any tips on eating (at least moderately) well while going on a trip? I'll be going to Vegas for nearly a week, and that place is full of delicious food and drinks. I have been doing really well with eating within my 1200 (base) calorie per day limit, but I am afraid this week will put me back on the wrong path! If anybody has any great tips or tricks, I'd really love to hear them. Thanks :)

It's a vacation so you should eat what you want, 1 week of enjoying food shouldn't set you back unless you go totally bonkers
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    As Nigella Lawson puts it, 'apply food to face.'
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Choose appetizers instead of meals - it will keep the portion small and your bill too. Try to start with a salad. Enjoy one good meal a day, try not to worry TOO much!
  • pestopoli
    pestopoli Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Bump, so I can read this later. Great question!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I am going to be on vacation for the whole month of September. I've come to the conclusion there is no way I'm going to worry about my diet. I'm just going to enjoy my adventure and worry when I get home.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. I don't have any real advice. My next vacation I plan on just indulging for a few days. A few days won't derail me. You shouldn't let it either.
  • kezza8888
    kezza8888 Posts: 75
    Options
    VEGAS BABY!!!

You cant go wrong at The Wynn buffet! AMAZING SELECTION! Yes - it is hard to avoid all the goodies, BUT they have loads of fresh seafood, sushi, salads, meats, veg!! And the Desserts are ALL mini ones, so you can even have a small sweet treat to finish without feeling too guilty! If there is a queue its still worth the wait!

I was only in Vegas for 5 nights and we ate at the Wynn 3 times, it was that good at an amazing price!
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I agree - when on vacation, it's all about portion control. If you deprive yourself, you are just setting yourself up for failure (that's not to say, of course, that every meal should be fried foods and ice-cream sundaes!). Also, try to get some sort of exercise in but make it fun. Walking "the strip" for hours burns up calories, while sitting in one spot playing the slots does not. Some hotels/resorts have exercise rooms and working in at least 20 minutes a few times while on vacation isn't hard to do. Most of all, ENJOY yourself! : )
  • sarapopefitness
    sarapopefitness Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! All of the words of advice are greatly appreciated! I don't plan on depriving myself, I just don't want it to be an "I'm on vacation, I can eat everything I see" kind of trip :D
  • taytaylynn3
    taytaylynn3 Posts: 601
    Options
    Bring your own food. Don't eat out. If you want to get to your goal, just eat right.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Calculate what your maintenance level is and try to go somewhere between your deficit and maintenance so that you at least don't gain. Also, make sure you log honestly, if you go over at least be aware of it, that always helps me make better decisions. Do a lot of walking on the strip.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Calculate what your maintenance level is and try to go somewhere between your deficit and maintenance so that you at least don't gain. Also, make sure you log honestly, if you go over at least be aware of it, that always helps me make better decisions. Do a lot of walking on the strip.

Do people really have time or the desire to log onto myfitnesspal to track their calories while on vacation?

I know for my vacation at least I'm not even going to have cell or internet coverage and on the rare days I do, logging on here is the last thing I would be worried about.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Just eat at maintenance for the time ur there, enjoy ur vacation and get back on track when u get home! Maybe eat very light for breakfast/lunch if u know youll b going out for big dinners etc. I live in vegas part time so you'll most likely b doing a lot of walking anyway, so dont obsess too much :)