Sugar from fruits!

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    The body doesn't differentiate. Sugar is sugar. All pretty much broken down the same way be it an apple or a snickers.

But at the same time, unless there is a medical reason to do so, you don't need to track sugar anyway.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    What is with all the sugar postings lately??!! If all your sugar is coming from fruit, then that's fantastic! (note: some vegetables have sugar in them too.) But it still counts as your sugar intake! DO NOT eat foods with added sugar. Make your own sauces. There is no reason for sugar to be found in bread or pasta sauce. Sugar is sugar and too much of anything is not good for you!! (Ok, rant over.) But seriously, if your sugar levels are not elevated, if you are losing weight and you feel well, then keep doing what you're doing. If you begin to stall and everything else in your diet is healthy, cut back on the fruits. By the way, one banana = 2 fruits. So really, you are eating 4 fruits a day on top of whatever other sugar is in your food ("natural" or not). For me, that would make my weight loss stall.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    "...Sugars to avoid: Lactose (milk sugar) no fiber in milk to slow absorption ( or drink with caution, it is also a food choice not a drink choice), fruit juices (see above), artificial sweeteners ( can cause other health issues), corn syrup ( again stripped of natural casing {corn it is derived from} ), agave nectar ( can be just as caloric as refined white sugar), and refined white sugar..."

Lactose (which the body rapidly converts to galactose in the gut) is slowed in its transmission by the presence of fat, (and also protein) so it really isn't much of a problem as long as you are not eating "no-fat" dairy products. There is some evidence that consuming skim milk worsens Type II diabetes--so there could well be a blood sugar issue when fat is not a part of dairy consumption. Human milk is higher in lactose (and fat) than is cow's milk (and babies thrive on it). I agree with the rest of your post. :smile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I know in Paleo I was only allowed certain fruits because they were "better" for you. Anything "tropical" (banana, pineapple, Mango, Guava, etc) are EXTREMELY high in sugar (this was according to the diet plan and my trainers) - granted, it's natural sugar, but your body processes it differently.

I eat one banana and my sugar levels for the day are pretty much shot. Just with one banana.

But with Paleo I could eat all the berries I wanted. And the fiber from them is good too.

You just need to find what works best for you.

banana will cause the same glycimic sugar spike as a cookie and leave you feeling just as "full"

meaning - they won't hardly at all. which is why we now call them "Banookies" LOL
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    What is with all the sugar postings lately??!! If all your sugar is coming from fruit, then that's fantastic! (note: some vegetables have sugar in them too.) But it still counts as your sugar intake! DO NOT eat foods with added sugar. Make your own sauces. There is no reason for sugar to be found in bread or pasta sauce. Sugar is sugar and too much of anything is not good for you!! (Ok, rant over.) But seriously, if your sugar levels are not elevated, if you are losing weight and you feel well, then keep doing what you're doing. If you begin to stall and everything else in your diet is healthy, cut back on the fruits. By the way, one banana = 2 fruits. So really, you are eating 4 fruits a day on top of whatever other sugar is in your food ("natural" or not). For me, that would make my weight loss stall.

Weird and illogical response. "Too much of anything is bad for you" - of course, but we're already counting calories here. She's not eating too much of anything. I agree with reducing added sugars, but that's along the same goals as reducing calories. Plus, no tomato sauce or bread on the planet won't have sugar. Tomatoes = fruit = sugar. Bread needs sugar for the yeast to eat.
    And there is zero reason that 4 fruit servings a day would make your weight loss stall...that sounds like nonsense. If it's incorporated in your daily calories, you'll lose.
  • SanteMulberry
    I know in Paleo I was only allowed certain fruits because they were "better" for you. Anything "tropical" (banana, pineapple, Mango, Guava, etc) are EXTREMELY high in sugar (this was according to the diet plan and my trainers) - granted, it's natural sugar, but your body processes it differently.

I eat one banana and my sugar levels for the day are pretty much shot. Just with one banana.

But with Paleo I could eat all the berries I wanted. And the fiber from them is good too.

You just need to find what works best for you.

Try cycling your higher sugar fruits to days you do cardio, and limit them. to one choice a day. Your very right too many high sugar fruits not good, but they are still important to the body on a nutrient level. I mean two kiwi's a day, and you have way more potassium than the banana, and less fat. Again I will stress lots of alkalizing veggies to counter act the fruit. I go for two veggies to every one portion of fruit.

Very wise advice. :smile:
  • SanteMulberry
    oranges and kiwis have a high amount of acid and several servings will start to eat away your stomach lining over time and create ulcers

Can you PLEASE post SOME kind of evidence to back up a statement like this? Unless one has gastritis, gastric reflux or some other issue already present, I have never heard of such a thing.

Actually, there is evidence that cutting back on grain and sugar and increasing whole fruits will actually help gastritis and reflux. Whole fresh fruits are rich in plant enzymes and help in the digestive process. :smile: When I cut sugar and most grains out of my diet (I am gluten-free) my reflux went away very quickly. :smile:
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    The body doesn't differentiate. Sugar is sugar. All pretty much broken down the same way be it an apple or a snickers.

But at the same time, unless there is a medical reason to do so, you don't need to track sugar anyway.

Again it does make a deference, because the snicker is not the proper portion, or housing for the sugar. Nature has this great way of packaging the proper portion of sugars in with the proper portion of fiber, and other nutrients so it is distributed properly into the body. Sugars out of their natural casings are absorbed too quickly, and stored in the white fat that so many people have trouble losing. To say sugar is sugar in any form is true, and false at the same time. sugar spikes insulin if not consumed properly. Then, even if you are not diabetic that sugar crashes, because you are missing the part that slows absorption (fiber). This causes you to overeat because your body has to try to even out the sugars. What is even worse is if you do this too much your body has a hard time using it's insulin. Then you will be a diabetic. Best way to stop this is to eat regular meals. Spaced three hours apart. Eat things that natural ( I mean whole food form) Eat the proper portions (your hand, fists, and thumb) {individualized portion control}, and move your body!
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Generally I ignore the sugars from fruits and just count refined sugar... MFP doesn't register the difference between the 2 and fruit is good for you so, y'know...

Exactly. You're comparing apples to oranges here. Har har har.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't particularly important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored.

However, it should be noted that fructose and sucrose can only be stored as liver glycogen and not muscle glycogen. The liver can hold 100-120g glycogen so anything more than that will be converted to triglycerides. As long as you still have a calorie deficit this will even out. Just try to make most of your carbs glucose and not sucrose or fructose. Fructose in particular has been shown to decrease exercise performance, increased likelihood of gastrointestinal distress, and increase perception of exertion.

Here are some studies:
    http://www.setantacollege.com/wp-content/uploads/Journal_db/the effects of glucose....pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3592616

As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings so keep that in mind.

For information on setting your macro target, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336
  • lynn1982

Weird and illogical response. "Too much of anything is bad for you" - of course, but we're already counting calories here. She's not eating too much of anything. I agree with reducing added sugars, but that's along the same goals as reducing calories. Plus, no tomato sauce or bread on the planet won't have sugar. Tomatoes = fruit = sugar. Bread needs sugar for the yeast to eat.
    And there is zero reason that 4 fruit servings a day would make your weight loss stall...that sounds like nonsense. If it's incorporated in your daily calories, you'll lose.

Someone needs to learn how to read. I said "added" sugar to bread and tomato sauce. Read a freakin' label in the grocery store.

I'm so glad you know my body better than I do and that four servings of fruit per day is not way too much for me. I've been doing this for a while but obviously you know me better than I know myself. Thank you.
  • kdzi
    kdzi Posts: 78 Member
    I put my fruits and vegetables in a separate "meal" category (at the bottom), and then just subtract the natural sugars from the added sugars (basically, everything else...though I know there are some natural sugars in dairy and such) and keep track of my added sugar number.
  • Try eliminating the evening fruit and replace with crunchy vegetables to see if that will lower your sugar count. I think this is pretty good advice to give myself. :smile:
  • lynn1982
    I put my fruits and vegetables in a separate "meal" category (at the bottom), and then just subtract the natural sugars from the added sugars (basically, everything else...though I know there are some natural sugars in dairy and such) and keep track of my added sugar number.

How do you define "added" sugar vs. "natural" sugar? Are you talking about added sugar in your coffee or honey (which I would assume would be considered a "natural" sugar for all you people differentiating) that you might add into your oatmeal, for example? Or are you talking about candy bars or packaged/processed foods, including bread?
  • I was wondering the same thing. I eat TONS of fruit and yogurt and go over like -50. My attitude is that it's better than eating refined sugars from cookies and donuts! I've replaced my lunch yogurt w/ lunch salad though and it's made a difference :P
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    eat fruit, its good for you, and packed with vitamins and minerals... The sugar? It's not bad for you, nor very fattening
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    oranges and kiwis have a high amount of acid and several servings will start to eat away your stomach lining over time and create ulcers

Can you PLEASE post SOME kind of evidence to back up a statement like this? Unless one has gastritis, gastric reflux or some other issue already present, I have never heard of such a thing.

This.

While fruit can have a higher acid amount, the acid in your stomach is far more acidic.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member

This is what the producers of "corn sugar" (HFCS) want you to believe but there is AMPLE scientific evidence that our bodies process fructose differently from glucose, lactose, and other sugars. The body DOES differentiate. For an explanation of the digestion of sugars watch http://www.uctv.tv/shows/Sugar-The-Bitter-Truth-16717
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    The obesity researchers who are looking into the connection between fructose and obesity believe that it is important for obese individuals to restrict fructose (the primary sugar in fruit) to 15 grams a day. They recommend that non-obese individuals restrict their fructose to 25 grams per day. Having said that, the primary source of fructose, in the standard diet, is from eating sugary foods (sucrose, i.e. table sugar is 50% fructose) and processed foods (which virtually all contain added sugars). The amount of fructose in a can of "orange" soda is roughly equivalent to the amount of fructose in 10 oranges. It is important to remember that the fructose in fruits is encased in fiber and it is released more slowly into the bloodstream because of that. It isn't that our bodies are not capable of dealing with fructose, it is that large amounts at once seem to overwhelm the body's capacity to deal with it. Fructose is metabolized in much the same way as is alcohol, by the way. A little alcohol in one glass of wine does not harm the body (and some studies suggest it may well be beneficial). But drinking a bottle of wine overwhelms the body's ability to handle it and the deleterious effects are quite obvious rather quickly. The same is true of eating a lot of fructose in the form of sugar consumption.

I would say that a normal intake of fruit is probably quite safe (although there is some evidence that "fruitarian" diets--where nothing but fruit is eaten---are problematic). But, if you are obese and trying to lose weight, it may be wise to limit the amount of fructose to 15 grams per day. Glucose and galactose (the other two monosaccharides contained in our diets) do not seem to have the same deleterious effects as does too much fructose. Unfortunately, MFP does not have a separate tracking of fructose in the database. I calculate mine manually. :smile: Hope this has been helpful.

Do you have an research links to show this?

You will not get fat from fruit unless your total overall calorie intake day to day is over your TDEE. Fruit will not cause you to gain weight provided overall you are at a calorie deficit.

If this were the case, I wouldn't be losing weight each week. I am classified as obese and regularly consume double to triple (if not more) than 15g of sugar from fruits daily.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    eat fruit, its good for you, and packed with vitamins and minerals... The sugar? It's not bad for you, nor very fattening

<facepalm>

no not directly- but it sure as **** will prevent you from losing weight.