2 weeks into my new lifestyle ive hurt my knee real bad

Options
My knee is hurting so bad. Ive probably strained it because of excessive jogging. I cant fully flex it. Walking is horrible.
And I know its my own fault. I just really wanted to get into things. I have great stamina and willpower apparantly, but my body is not used to this. So eventhou im able to run for 60 minutes yesterday and then do 70 minutes on the eliptical the next morning it obviously really stupid of me to do just that. :frown:

So, what do I do? Just I "shake it off" or try to keep my leg up high?
This is at the worst time, 2 active kids, work and a husband leaving for a work trip until saturday next week.
Well lesson learned anyways.

Im taking NSAID's and hopes that will help.

Im open for any tips to fix this ASAP :flowerforyou:

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Rest, ice, and NSAIDs. Feel better soon!
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    RICE - rest, ice, compression, elevation

If it doesn't feel better in a couple days, go see a doc. No jogging til then.. try something like pilates that keeps you on the floor. I currently have a broken foot with a huge boot and doing pilates.
  • CMWheeler85
    CMWheeler85 Posts: 10
    Options
    You definitely should not push it.

Believe it or not over working yourself is a common mistake of those trying to whip into shape. Start slow. Honestly 60 minutes is way too much for starting out. Start with 20 minutes a day to let your body acclimate itself to the runs.

Make sure you are icing daily! And keep your legs elevated when possible. The fastest way to heal is to reduce the fluid filling the area and let the joint recover.

Do not run until you are able to walk without any discomfort in the joint. If you try to run and feel discomfort you should probably stop. Also make sure you are stretching as much as possible both before and after. Your quad muscle might need some strengthening as well make sure you stretch your quads well before running. I personally walk about a half mile before I even start jogging and then I work my self up to a fast pace (7-8 minute mile) When I start though I am moving at a 12 minute mile pace to let my legs and joints warm up to the running.

I have had 4 surgeries on my right foot and ankle and I suffer from jumpers knee in my left knee. Doing these things has really helped me avoid pain while running and keeping it to a minimum afterwards.

I am not a doctor but a guy who has experienced many sports injuries and at age 28 had to figure out ways to keep my body going and active.

Best of luck keep your head up and don't let the injury get you down! I would recommend finding an alternative to running perhaps if it continues. I find Inline Skating to be an excellent workout if my foot and ankle are giving me trouble on any given day. Very low impact on joints if any at all and to those who think it isn't as effective as running, well skate up a few hills and you will see it is actually more difficult than running (up a hill at least).

Best of luck!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Go see a Doctor or a physiotherapist.
  • annamonster
    Options
    Thanks for all the advise. I keept it elevated for a full day and used crutches not using my leg at all. That really helped.
    I had to go to work, Im a night nurse. The patients thougt I was weird cuz I used a kickbike the whole night not walking :laugh:
    In total im much much better. Flexing is not a problem, its only when I walk that after 20 steps it starts to ache.

Now I need to find different alternatives in my workout regime. I only do jogging or Eliptical. I have made an appointment with a PT who is also a physical therapist next tuesday.