Replies

• redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know what a calorie was!!
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    For me it's usually the fat or sodium levels. And hidden calories -- salad dressings, etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how many calories I was eating before...but I do have to say I'm surprised at my maintenance level of calories...about 2,700 to maintain at this point. I must have been eating upwards of 3,000 - 3,500 back in the day...although maybe not, I workout now and I lift weights. I was grossing around 2150 while I was losing and thought my TDEE was around 2500-2600...when I upped for maintenance, I just kept losing until I got them up around 2700 which seems to be the sweet spot.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    It really opens up your eyes, doesn't it?
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Myfitnesspal has helped with with portion sizes. I don't have a scale, but just measuring has made a huge difference for me. There's also the whole, when I record and am accountable, i think twice before putting food in my mouth.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The number of calories in certain foods has add a new definition to the term "expensive" for me; meaning. No way am I going to eat that ______ (fill in the blank). Its too expensive! For that number of calories I could have chocolate or half a cup of ice cream or any other number of wonderful foods. I am much more careful in how I spend my calorie budget now.

That's exactly the way I think. If my boyfriend offers me something or suggests something for dinner that has more calories than I want to eat I think "too expensive" and I always reply "I cant afford it"

I'm slowly starting to remove less nutritious foods too. I was fiddling with my diary today trying to increase my protein and fibre and had to remove some pasta to fit it all il