5 Things You Learned About Food

Options
Inshape13
Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
After changing how I eat for the past year these are some things I have learned.

1. Things do not taste better once they hit the deep fryer, actually a variety of seasoning and fresh produce are more satisfying to me and my waist. Think Cajun seasoned sweet potato wedges.

2. Carbs are not my enemy, but they are also not my best friend. On days when I weight train I eat higher amounts of carbs to fuel my workout.....but I can easily overeat them on my light days.

3. Adding healthy fats into my eating is not as hard as I thought. I enjoy avocado, nuts and olive oil.

4. The first bite of a food is really the only bite I will truly savor when it comes to junk. Biting into a donut is only good for the first bite til I realize that I scarfed down 350 calories in a tenth of the time it will take me to burn it off.

5. I can still savor a treat here and there and it is not the end of the world.....just don't make it a habit.

What have you come to know about food?

Replies

• milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    1 - Food = fuel, not comfort or love or happiness.

That's all I needed to learn, changing that relationship with food made all the difference for me.
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have learned that once my head & my heart were in the same place...eating food is like a whole different ball game.
    - I think twice before eating most things to see if it fits into my daily caloric intake or not.
    - I have learned that I feel much better when I fuel my body with the nutrients it needs.
    - I have learned that if I overeat I have to work twice as hard at exercise.
    I could go on and on...all I know is I have no intention of going back to my old habits. :happy:
  • Shananigans_
    Shananigans_ Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    1. Vegetables can taste good AND they make you feel better.
    2. I will always struggle with food
    3. I'll always be an emotional eater
    4. You can survive on less food than you think lol
    5. Food tastes better with less 'stuff' on it
  • SamMorBelsmom
    SamMorBelsmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I eat better when I make a meal plan for the week.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    ***underweight/undereater: different goals***

1. i can 'wake up' my stomach and feel ready to eat earlier in the day if i drink some juice or ginger ale immediately upon getting up (otherwise i don't eat until lunch, and sometimes i skip that too)

2. i'll be hungry enough to eat *anything* if i work out like a beast every day

3. i don't crave sugar (or carbs) when i'm working out like a beast regularly. not. at. all.

4. crushed sesame sticks are great on salads

5. eggs are my best (protein) friend
  • LuisB3
    LuisB3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    1. Anything fried tastes great! lol....but I have learned to choose healthier options.

2. I agree too many carbs on a non-workout day leads to nothing good.

3. I learned to love healthy fats like avocados, hummus, organic natural peanut butter and mixed nuts...all in moderation.

4. Donuts are delicious but I feel like crap afterwards so I avoid the first bite altogether.

5. Indulging once in a while is OK but I make sure to make up for it the next day by working out harder and eating smarter.

6. BONUS - I definitely learned that I was never taking in nearly enough calories in the AM, so I make sure to get the protein and carbs I need for the day. The earlier I start eating, the earlier I stop.