Working out in the heat

Options
SDkitty
SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
Hey'all, I live in San Diego and the weather is starting to heat up in the afternoons and I'm having a hard time keeping motivated for my hard workouts. Does anyone have any suggestions/tricks for keeping cool while working out?

- I drink plenty of water everyday and am not dehydrated
- It's just not possible for me to workout in the morning before work, I am up at 4am already each day to be in the office by 5.

tumblr_lzv925ExJf1qf5z7ko1_400_zps3f2da78f.gif

Replies

• bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    i watched the gif like 10 times before looking away
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i watched the gif like 10 times before looking away

This... also, I would like to hear thoughts on this, too. I tend to do more indoor workouts in the summer, but even that is so very hot. I'm used to the sweating, but I still get lightheaded if I try to run. I'd love to not call myself a "seasonal" runner.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    What kind of workout? I run most of the year, but in the summer months I intend to swim more to beat the heat. I lift as well, but that's indoors and climate controlled. I'm looking forward to switching it up to some swimming for a few months. I will most likely continue to get in a run on the weekends when I can get up and get out there before it gets too warm
  • SDkitty
    Options
    What kind of workout? I run most of the year, but in the summer months I intend to swim more to beat the heat. I lift as well, but that's indoors and climate controlled. I'm looking forward to switching it up to some swimming for a few months. I will most likely continue to get in a run on the weekends when I can get up and get out there before it gets too warm

To save money I work out at home (bike, jog, stationary bike, P90X) and unfortunately I do not have a pool or AC. :grumble: I wonder how cheap I could get a gym membership. Does the YMCA have AC? LOL
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

To save money I work out at home (bike, jog, stationary bike, P90X) and unfortunately I do not have a pool or AC. :grumble: I wonder how cheap I could get a gym membership. Does the YMCA have AC? LOL

How close to the ocean are you? When I lived in Oceanside I often worked out at the beach which afforded me the opportunity to take a dip when needed to cool down. I also swam a lot in the ocean for a good workout.

Conversely, the YMCA may be a good option...I would think most would be air conditioned (although I forget that a lot of places in SD aren't...everywhere in New Mexico where I am is AC) and most I've been to have a pool and are relatively inexpensive. You could also look into a public pool, which is what I did last year (well, tried to do...I was pretty inconsistent). This year we have a family membership to the Jewish Community Center and will be utilizing their facilities.

Another option would be to postpone your workouts until later in the evening when things have cooled off a bit and are a bit more comfortable.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

I don't have a gym membership either, but I've priced out a lot. You might check out community centers, university gyms, and any deals you might get through your work or insurance. I recently found out that my insurance offers a deal where I can join nearly any gym in town for $25. I'm not sure I would use it, but I am definitely considering it for the summer. And I say university gyms, because sometimes they'll run deals where you can pay for a summer membership only at a much discounted rate.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If it's hot outside and you workout outside then you are going to be hot. You cannot stay cooler except by not working out.

However, you will acclimate after several weeks which will enable your body to better handle the heat.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm in Texas and I mostly run at night. For me it's not so much the heat but the sun beating down on me. It's still hot at night, but feels cooler! On the weekends I have been runnning trails in a state park and while still hot, I like the cover of the trees and when it gets really hot I will be able to jump in the lake at the end of the workout.
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    If it's hot outside and you workout outside then you are going to be hot. You cannot stay cooler except by not working out.

However, you will acclimate after several weeks which will enable your body to better handle the heat.

^^^^^^^ This, I live in the desert, Palms Springs area and it gets really hot here (average in the summer 110-115):mad: . Love going on hikes when the sun is not that hot like 6:00 p.m. where there's is still daylight or jog. Also I try to hike on weekends like at 6:00 a.m. It's hot anyway but the sun is not full blown yet. :mad: Your body does acclimate, just make sure you drink plenty of water. :drinker: San Diego would be the perfect weather for me to work out in the summer time :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Define "I drink a lot of water".

It is possible to overhydrate, which can affect an afternoon workout.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people taking a bandana and getting it wet with cold water (but not dripping), then tie it around your head like a headband or neck. It's supposed to keep you cooler. But I recommend going out early morning while it's still cooler out whenever possible (like weekends).
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

^^^This

You also become a stronger runner. I live on the gulf coast and have to contend with high humidity. One trick that helps a little is to wet a tech shirt before putting it on.
  • SDkitty
    Options
    I've heard of people taking a bandana and getting it wet with cold water (but not dripping), then tie it around your head like a headband or neck. It's supposed to keep you cooler. But I recommend going out early morning while it's still cooler out whenever possible (like weekends).
    You also become a stronger runner. I live on the gulf coast and have to contend with high humidity. One trick that helps a little is to wet a tech shirt before putting it on.

Excellent ideas! I realize that low 90s is nowhere near the desert heat and I sounded like a whiner, I just don't handle heat very well and have had heat stroke a few times in my life so am wary of overdoing it. I think this is a great idea.

And to whoever asked me how much water I drink, usually 2-3 liters over a whole day, it all depends on how much I work out. I am not "over-hydrated".

Thanks everyone!
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If you want a more radical solution you could emigrate to the UK. Here it is pouring with rain, windy and the temperature is a balmy 50 degrees!

Any takers???? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Kaathmandu
    Kaathmandu Posts: 129
    Options
    Aquafitness/water aerobics - swimming - water jogging ...
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    is it mental? Like people don't feel as tired if they run on a field playing soccer for an hour vs. track running vs. hour... you could find reddit groups that meet up to do yoga and stuff.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

They actually have special bandanas like this that you can buy that have gel in them to keep them cold. Our guys here at work use them around their heads and necks in the summer because it gets very hot in our plant. When you're done you just rinse them and throw them in the freezer for the next time you need it.
  • CMWheeler85
    CMWheeler85 Posts: 10
    Options

Excellent ideas! I realize that low 90s is nowhere near the desert heat and I sounded like a whiner, I just don't handle heat very well and have had heat stroke a few times in my life so am wary of overdoing it. I think this is a great idea.

And to whoever asked me how much water I drink, usually 2-3 liters over a whole day, it all depends on how much I work out. I am not "over-hydrated".

Thanks everyone!

Having a heat stroke is a sign of too little water in your body. You have be to be conscious that our bodies can dump 2 liters of water an hour in high temperature. When I was stationed in at Camp Pendleton I went through at least a gallon of water a day when working out. If you are running in the heat 2-3 liters of water probably isn't enough.

Try this for running in the heat it really does help.

An hour or two before your run drink 16 ounces of water or sports drink. Then take in between 5 and 12 ounces of fluid every 15 to 20 minutes during the run. If you plan to run for longer than an hour those 5 to 12 ounces should be sports drink. Gatorade G-series Performance 02 is an excellent source of the electrolytes and carbs your body needs during the workout. Another way to help curb the heat fatigue is to try and run intervals instead of running flat out for a long period of time. Run 2 minutes slow, 3 minutes steady, 1 minute fast consume the liquids on your slow interval. This should give you some extra time to cool off during the run.

Other than that just give it time your body will acclimate to the hot weather it usually takes about 2 weeks to really start to feel the difference.

Best of luck!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Now I feel really stupid... I should've followed my own advice when I went running yesterday after work. It was in the 90s and really humid, and I have a cold. I had to cut my run short so it was only 23 minutes because I felt like I was going to pass out. :ohwell: It's supposed to stay pretty warm and humid for the rest of the week so maybe I'll actually be smart about it when I do my run tomorrow.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Wet a bandana, then freeze it. Wear it around your head or neck.