Anyone been on a 5 day course of Prednisone?

Options
2»

Replies

• x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    You'll be ravenous, moody (mean), have increased energy, and have trouble sleeping. Absolutely no drinking while on prednisone. It really isn't safe. I'm in medical school and I hear doctors telling patients this info regularly. It's only 5 days! You can do it.

One MAY experience all or none of those symptoms. Not WILL. No drug affects everyone the same. I don't recall having increased energy. I do recall the false euphoria at times and the moodiness at other times. There were times when my husband commented that I become a different person when taking it. But that is typically when taking it longer term and not the shorter bursts. The one symptom I routinely experience and which seems to hit me right away is the insomnia. It's maddening.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I'm having a love hate with this thread LOL! I have been off all alcohol for 5 days now and it will be a week come Saturday. We have plans to go visit friends on Saturday and we will be drinking. I may just take the first couple doses and see what happens. I already suffer from insomnia. I'm in the medical field and am aware I am being a horrible patient right now. :) The hives at this point really are mainly an eye sore. But I fear they do need the internal help to heal.
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You'll be ravenous, moody (mean), have increased energy, and have trouble sleeping. Absolutely no drinking while on prednisone. It really isn't safe. I'm in medical school and I hear doctors telling patients this info regularly. It's only 5 days! You can do it.

One MAY experience all or none of those symptoms. Not WILL. No drug affects everyone the same. I don't recall having increased energy. I do recall the false euphoria at times and the moodiness at other times. There were times when my husband commented that I become a different person when taking it. But that is typically when taking it longer term and not the shorter bursts. The one symptom I routinely experience and which seems to hit me right away is the insomnia. It's maddening.

They're very common side effects. You might explode when you take prednisone, but more than likely you'll survive unscathed. Smh4ever at these people.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options

They're very common side effects. You might explode when you take prednisone, but more than likely you'll survive unscathed. Smh4ever at these people.

I never said they weren't common side effects. In fact, I said they were. That doesn't mean everyone is going to experience them all, nor to the same degree. Your all or nothing response was misleading.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I have used it several times and it is very effective (back injury).

To that point, I ate a little more than usual and felt aggressive.

As for drinking, contact a pharmacist to see what they say.

Good luck!
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    So I am on day 3 and other than feeling alittle jittery there are no real side effects. I am taking Benadryl at night so my sleep isn't too bad. I actually seem to have less of an appetite. The pharmacist said I could drink, they say not to mainly because you are fighting something and the alcohol can slow the healing process. I think I will skip taking it that day though to avoid weird side effects from the alcohol. Thanks so much for the feedback!
  • rbuslercpa
    rbuslercpa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am just coming off a five day Prednisone "burst" having previously always done the tapered dosage. Crashing! Slept 10 hours two nights in a row and dragging around. Some evidence that the five day blast is more effective for respiratory problems--i.e. acute bronchitis--which is what I had. I would recommend talking to your doctor about the benefits/downside to the five day treatment.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    rbuslercpa wrote: »
    I am just coming off a five day Prednisone "burst" having previously always done the tapered dosage. Crashing! Slept 10 hours two nights in a row and dragging around. Some evidence that the five day blast is more effective for respiratory problems--i.e. acute bronchitis--which is what I had. I would recommend talking to your doctor about the benefits/downside to the five day treatment.

This happened 5 years ago.