Favorite Soup!? Fav Homemade, Fav Canned??

Options
2»

Replies

• txjg
    txjg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just put in a great split pea soup recipe. Very easy and delicious.

While I prefer fresh soup, I do like Campbell's Golden Mushroom with some sauteed onions, fresh mushrooms and a tablespoon of sherry thrown in, a tsp of thyme and fresh cracked pepper. Very tasty! Burn off the alcohol in the sherry to lower the calories.

Easy Mexican Chicken Soup (serves 4)
    1 quart chicken stock (homemade or canned)
    1 fresh chicken, cut into parts, skinned if desired
    2 corn cobs, cut into halves
    1/2 head cabbage, cut into 4 chunks
    4 roma tomatoes, halved
    4 zucchini, quartered
    2 large carrot, quartered
    1/2 onion, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    Salt and pepper to taste

1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
    4 fresh limes, quartered

Mix together everything except the cilantro and limes in a large pot. Bring to a low boil, then lower to a simmer and cover for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Add the cilantro and stir well. Serve into 4 large bowls with limes on the side (the lime juice really makes it).
  • chileheadmike
    chileheadmike Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The Zuni Cafe cookbook has a recipe for asparagus and aborio rice soup. Perfect for Springtime.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Home made chicken sweetcorn soup :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Tortilla Soup from The Pioneer Woman's blog is my favorite! Easy to make, and awesome left over. Had the last of it for lunch yesterday with avocado, plain greek yogurt, salsa, cheese, and tortilla strips on top - super tasty! Her recipe calls for baked chicken breast, but I've also made it with ground beef and it's still awesome. You can cut a corner and use rotisserie chicken too. Good stuff!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/01/chicken-tortilla-soup/

I used to like canned soups, but avoid them now - too much sodium!
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Homemade: Sister Stew or butternut squash and italian sausage.
  • fancycatlady
    fancycatlady Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    These two are my favorite homemade soups!

Spicy Taco Soup
    Chicken – Breast 1.5 cup, chopped
    Instant Stock Mix - Chicken, 3 tsp.
    Black Beans (No Salt Added), 1 container (2.2 cups ea.)
    Peaches and Cream Frozen Corn, 1 cup (85g)
    2 cans Whole Plum Tomatoes low sodium
    Tomato paste, 2 tsp
    No Name - Garlic Salt, 1 tsp
    Spices - Cumin, 3 tsp
    (cilantro) leaves - Raw , 0.25 cup
    Garlic, 2 Cloves (I.E. 6 g) - Raw, 2 tsp (6g)
    Generic - Jalapeño Pepper-Raw, 1 qty
    Onions - Raw, 1 cup, chopped
    Chipotle Peppers In Adobe Sauce, 2 tbsp (31g) with sauce
    Lime juice to taste
    2-3 cups of water

Serve with fresh cilantro, guacamole, greek yogurt, lime wedges, and cheddar cheese

Italian Vegetable soup

Barb - Yellow Zucchini Raw - 1 Cup
    Cabbage - Raw, 600 g
    Carrots (Raw), 1.5 medium carrot (78g)
    2 cans Whole Plum Tomatoes
    Onion, Raw, Diced, 1 cup (160g)
    Garlic - 2 clove (3g)
    Italian Herbs Paste, 8 g
    Tomato Paste, 30 mL
    Chicken Instant Stock Mix, 3 tsp
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The only soup I do canned is tomato. And that's only every few months I think. My favorites are potato leek soup, similar to the one posted previously, and an olive garden knockoff, Pasta E Fagioli. It's loaded with veggies, and has just a little bit of pasta, and it's so yummy. It's 293 calories per serving. Tried adding my recipe to the database but it wouldn't let me because of a weird problem with the subcategory. So here it is if anyone wants it.

1 lb ground beef
    2 cans tomato sauce (8 oz)
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 potato, diced
    carrots (however much you want)
    3-4 stalks celery, chopped
    1 small onion, diced
    1 can of black beans, drained,
    1 can of pinto beans, drained
    2 cups shell pasta
    1 tsp italian seasoning
    1.5 tsp garlic
    1 tsp marjoram
    1 tsp basil
    3/4 tsp chili powder
    Salt & pepper to taste

Brown beef, drain off fat. Add all ingredients except pasta, simmer until veggies are tender. Add pasta and simmer for 10 minutes.
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I don't eat canned soups - ever!

All my soups start with, and onion/celery/carrot/garlic fried up with herbs/spices if required. Sometimes I chop up a huge container and freeze it, I will cook just a handful from frozen.

Then add stock + veg and simmer till veg soft. blend and good to go.

Some of the combinations I use:
    Celery + apple (1 head of celery + 1 cooking apple). I'd probably add mixed herbs of fresh thyme
    Roasted root veg - carrots/turnip/parsnip/etc... roasted. I sometimes put some chili on them in the oven, definitely some herbs.
    - as above roasted veg, with the addition of beetroot. Gives it a real earthy taste
    Broccoli + cauliflower, plain, but really tasty
    Carrot + cumin
    Fennel + mixed veg
    Pea + mint - I use a pack of frozen peas for this (probably about 500gm, but all depends on your pot)
    Carrot + almond - this is a real delicate one
    Sweet potato + tamarind (this is a real winner and if I remember I added a chile in for a bit of extra kick. I'm sure it was 50% sweet potato and 50% veg, like carrots
    left over's, I'll throw all left over veg in to freezer, when there's enough, I'll make up a soup. I do the same with the end of the fridge, before I'm going shopping.
    Roasted red pepper, add in a tin of tomatoes with the stock. a bit of cream with zest of lime is nice with this.
    Leek and potato (don't do this one as often)
    Next winter I'm hoping to up the anti with spices / coconut milk (last year, in my opinion, fat was bad and coconut milk was limited....this year, I'm converted, embrace the fat.)
    Curried parsnip - yummy, I never tire of this one!

Sorry, I measure nothing. I've made bad soups from time to time, but you have to experiment. nothing nicer than homemade soup.
  • goblindab
    goblindab Posts: 13
    Options
    Bacon and Brocolli is my quick and easy homemade soup. Bag of frozen brocolli stick in a pan with water and stock cube (experiment to find what amount of water suits your taste!), grill a pack of lean back bacon and bung in the cooked brocolli and blend!

Yum!
  • SweetMegz04
    SweetMegz04 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I also try to stay away from the canned soups.. but on days when I forget I would rather have a quick grab from my desk than order out.

I find the Progresso Light Chicken Pot Pie to be an indulgence of mine on a cold or rainy day.
    I also enjoy the Jammin’ Jerk Chicken Soup from Chunky.

I usually will make a Fish Chowder (using 1% milk) in the Fall or Winter.. Chicken Noodle is also a Favorite! I will have to try these great new soups!! Thanks for posting everyone.. Keep em’ coming!