Dr abd home scales so different?

Options
So this morning I weighed myself and loged my new measurements, then went to the Dr about 4 hrs later. My home scale said I was 205 but the scale at the dr said I was 245. How can there be such a difference? Mine is the kind with a dial, so you can always reset back to aero if it is off, my dr scale is all electronic. Why such a difference? My home scale is not that old

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Is your home scale on tile, wood flooring, carpet? Is the floor fully level and flat? Are the feet of the scale dirty? Did you set it to zero when you weighed yourself?

My scale can read my weight up to 100lbs less if it's placed on carpet. If I put it on one part of my floor that is not fully level it can read up to 50lbs plus or minus my actual weight. Placed on tile it can read up to 30lbs less if it's placed between a few tiles. When the feet of my scale are dusty, dirty, etc it can read much lower or much higher.

I believe electronic scales can be wrong due to the amount it is used, if it's kicked, moved, etc. Also, you would of weighed more at the doctors due to wearing shoes (if you were), what you have drank, eaten and the clothing you were wearing... however that most likely wouldn't cause a 40lb difference.
  • kdavis82508
    kdavis82508 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My scale is on flat viyanl flooring. I had eated and drank before dr appt.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    My scale is on flat viyanl flooring. I had eated and drank before dr appt.

You shouldn't be getting drunk before Doctors appointments.

If they smell it on your breath they'll make a little note saying that your an alcoholic and they'll try to persuade you to go to meetings. They'll also be more conservative when prescribing pain killers.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    If you're on level vinyl flooring, there is a problem with your scale. You would have to drink five gallons of water to put on 40lbs, it's more likely that your scale is off than that your daily intake spiked your weight by 20%,
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Do you have a harder floor to try your scale on? Tile or hardwood?

I find vinyl isn't the greatest as it may of been placed on uneven flooring and vinyl doesn't fix that problem all the time. I find vinyl can have higher/lower spots especially in somewhere like a bathroom where there may be some moisture underneath.
  • kdavis82508
    Options
    When I say I drank it means water. I do not drink alcohol or smoke.
  • kdavis82508
    Options
    Not everyone is a drunk. When I say drank it means water! I do not even drink alcohol