Weight lifting.. where should I start?

Options
I know what I used to lift, but that was long ago! Plus our instructor had a program where he would enter our max and we would get a schedule on what to lift and how many times... etc... I am not sure where to start and with how much? How do I determine this? Any ideas?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    start really really really low and work up. if it's been a while then you probably need some time to regain your form and for the rest of your body to acclimate to lifting again. if you remember what used to do then divide that by half. and then go lower than that. take a few weeks (or months, depending on how much we're talking about) to ramp up to anything close to what you used to use.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    start really really really low and work up. if it's been a while then you probably need some time to regain your form and for the rest of your body to acclimate to lifting again. if you remember what used to do then divide that by half. and then go lower than that. take a few weeks (or months, depending on how much we're talking about) to ramp up to anything close to what you used to use.

this... start with the empty bar and work up from there...for OHP I had to use the ezcurl bar until i could do the 45 pound bar, but my shoulders were pretty weak.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs