Is Pearl Couscous ok to eat after best buy date?

Options
I'm new to couscous and bought a new container of Israeli Pearl Couscous yest. I didnt realize that its best by date was jan 9 2013 which was 4 months ago. Since its a rice/pasta it should have a long shelf life right and be fine to eat? I know it may seem silly but im usually a weirdo about expiration dates so i figured i'd ask. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Typo

Replies

• mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    bump: Anyone???
  • mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    ????
  • patrnbabe
    patrnbabe Posts: 42
    Options
    "best by" dates are for CYA purposes on the manufacturer's behalf and nanny state control mechanisms.
    Couscous is a wheat product. Wheat has naturally occuring oils which will eventually oxidize (become rancid) over time. Oxidation occurs in the presence of oxygen. Unless your bag of couscous was hermetically sealed with an oxygen absorber packet (highly unlikely) the oils in the couscous will eventually oxidize.

Storage conditions VASTLY affect shelf life.
    Heat, light, and oxygen are the enemies of shelf life.
    Optimum storage conditions are "cool, dry, dark". The cooler the better. Stuff that I don't eat quickly go in my freezer, and they're fine for a very very long time.

Your nose is an excellent detector of freshness.
    Oils that have oxidized (ie gone rancid) have a funky unpleasant smell.
    If there are no critters or off smells in your couscous, it should be fine. Hope that helps.