Is there ever a good excuse?

Options
I was wondering what other people had to say about the excuses they hear people give for not working out or eating right or not drinking water or "falling off the wagon"? What do you say and is there ever a good excuse???? The only good excuse I can think of is "I was in a coma"...what are your responses to the ones I've heard:
"It cost too much money." (to pay for the gym or to join a group like Weight Watchers (WW) or eat healthier foods)
"I have/had an illness/injury."
"The group (WW) I was a part of wanted me to give them a credit card number to continue participation...I don't use credit cards."
"The weather is bad."
"I have a spouse and/or kids."
"I don't have time."
"I don't like the taste of water."
"I don't know where to start."
"I had a baby or babies."

What excuses have you heard that I didn't include? (I bet there are some good ones out there.)

I know I'm not perfect, but when you hear the same people over and over again with different excuses don't you get tired of it? In all fairness, I do ignore their excuses most of the time, until they make passive aggressive comments about my health habits...that's when I want to say something back...

Replies

• Fay132010
    Fay132010 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    " i got bored of it" seriously. my friend came to me one day all "i'm going to lose weight and be healthier" a few days later we were out for dinner and she ordered LOTS of food and i jokingly said "having a night off from the diet then" and she just went "nahh, i got bored" week later she's back at it again
  • Run4Me2Day
    Run4Me2Day Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I am doing my planning for my workout.....
    I am using body wraps....
    My spouse doesn't understand
    I don't have any support.....

These are a few I have heard recently.

I am far from perfect also, but I try to do my best everyday to improve my life....
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Some people have legitimate reasons...to an extent. Most people just are strong enough mentally to do it.
    My dad was 72 years old and 60lbs overweight, a smoker most of his life and had just been diagnosed diabetic a year after my mom suddenly died. Two years later, he is down to 180-200lbs. He walks 5 miles a day. He makes better choices for food, not great, but better. He has no complications from diabetes and is able to control it WITHOUT medication.

I truly believe he was at the end of his life until he made the choices.

If you truly want it, you will find a way.

The one that bothers me on here, is when people talk about their schedule and they have two hours for making supper and having it with their spouse. I understand eating with your spouse, but it doesn't take two hours. You can ask them to help you cook. You can make meals for a few days in advance. Your spouse doesn't have to understand, just support. If they don't, why are they your spouse?

I don't understand my wife's desire to run 42km at a time. I still say she is full of it when she says she loves running. In the end though, when she is running and I know she is getting tired, I will always send her messages of encouragement to keep going.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Oh, I wasn't asking because I think people don't have legitimate excuses (some people do, especially temporary ones...i.e. I just had a baby and am still in recovery or still trying to develop a new routine for a major life change)...I was trying to refer more to the on-going things people use or the ones that make you go "huh?":huh: for instance, the person who said their friend "got bored" - that's a new one...

Edited: had a baby = like a week or two ago not several years ago
  • jljshoe1979
    Options
    I am doing my planning for my workout.....
    I am using body wraps....
    My spouse doesn't understand
    I don't have any support.....

These are a few I have heard recently.

I am far from perfect also, but I try to do my best everyday to improve my life....

Good ones - hadn't heard the body wraps one. I'm not claiming perfection either, but I don't make excuses...I know when I'm not doing what I'm supposed to and have no business complaining about a lack of results when there is a lack of effort.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Being pregnant or having a baby is a legitimate excuse. Now, they should get back into it after having the baby, but that's a real thing. I don't believe in excuses.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    i'm too tired...and no it isn't good enough. i have no idea how i am going to work out when i get home though. long *kitten* day.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    "I have/had an illness/injury" can be a legitimate excuse. Not getting back to it when you're better, isn't.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    One friend, a number of years ago, said he wouldn't go back to the gym since he pulled EVERY muscle the last time. In reality, it was called DOMS since it was the first time he used his muscles.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    "I have/had an illness/injury" can be a legitimate excuse. Not getting back to it when you're better, isn't.

I second this, but will also add....going back too soon before you are healed can end up with an even larger injury. And honestly, if you are sick, stay home and out of the gym, I dont' want your nastiness all over the equipment.
  • gettinfitaus
    gettinfitaus Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I was wondering what other people had to say about the excuses they hear people give for not working out or eating right or not drinking water or "falling off the wagon"? What do you say and is there ever a good excuse???? The only good excuse I can think of is "I was in a coma"...what are your responses to the ones I've heard:
    "It cost too much money." (to pay for the gym or to join a group like Weight Watchers (WW) or eat healthier foods)
    "The group (WW) I was a part of wanted me to give them a credit card number to continue participation...I don't use credit cards."
    "The weather is bad."
    "I don't have time."

What excuses have you heard that I didn't include? (I bet there are some good ones out there.)

I know I'm not perfect, but when you hear the same people over and over again with different excuses don't you get tired of it? In all fairness, I do ignore their excuses most of the time, until they make passive aggressive comments about my health habits...that's when I want to say something back...

For the first few months at least for me. He baby one is perfectly valid. I honestly feel that I would be more of a danger to myself and others in the gym than is necessary. My babies don't sleep, as in waking 40 times a night and no that wasn't a typo try sleeping for 7 minutes at a time and then lifting weights.
  • jljshoe1979
    Options
    Being pregnant or having a baby is a legitimate excuse. Now, they should get back into it after having the baby, but that's a real thing. I don't believe in excuses.

I do agree - just for clarification I'm talking about the people who use that excuse and had their kids years ago.
  • jljshoe1979
    Options

I second this, but will also add....going back too soon before you are healed can end up with an even larger injury. And honestly, if you are sick, stay home and out of the gym, I dont' want your nastiness all over the equipment.

When I started this post, I realize now I wasn't clear with defining the time limits with various reasons to not exercise...I'm talking about people who maybe hurt their knee in high school and are in their fifties and have yet to try new exercises or anything, but keep saying "I can't workout because I hurt my knee."
  • jljshoe1979
    Options
    "The weather is bad."
    "I don't have time."

For the first few months at least for me. He baby one is perfectly valid. I honestly feel that I would be more of a danger to myself and others in the gym than is necessary. My babies don't sleep, as in waking 40 times a night and no that wasn't a typo try sleeping for 7 minutes at a time and then lifting weights.

Wow, hope your baby gets on a schedule soon. My sister-in-law had a baby last week, so of course I don't expect to see her in the gym, but there are other things she can do while in recovery...(i.e. eat the proper foods for her and her baby since he's nursing, drink tons of water (she doesn't and refuses to even though she's breast feeding) and get as much rest as possible during this time.
  • jljshoe1979
    Options
    I think I need to change the topic title to "Is there ever a good excuse for not taking care of yourself long term? Does anyone know how to do that?
  • Run4Me2Day
    Run4Me2Day Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I think I need to change the topic title to "Is there ever a good excuse for not taking care of yourself long term? Does anyone know how to do that?

I think NOT! It is pure neglect! I myself neglected my body for several years....and decided I had enough.
  • jljshoe1979
    Options

I think NOT! It is pure neglect! I myself neglected my body for several years....and decided I had enough.

Thank you for sharing...I decided I had enough last year too. As I let go of any of my possible excuses (including marriage, moving, getting cancer, depression, being scared to take a gym class, etc), I began to realize that no excuse is valid over time.
  • ShaunaMcMac
    ShaunaMcMac Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Honestly, and I know this will piss off the 'hard-core', but if someone is not in the right place to change their life then they just aren't ready. With the stress of a new family, work, school, and illness I could not have put in the effort this time last year that I am able to commit now. I made a decision to cut back on my work load and commit to my own health. Now that I've started, I can see what my priorities should be, and where I should be allocating my time and effort. I should mention that my decision to cut back on work would not have been possible without the support of my husband. I'm not saying people don't get lazy and make excuses, but nobody should be made to feel shame for not being in a good enough place to start.