My humps ..

Options
LOL! Funny title .. :laugh: .. but .. you know that hump on your back right below your neck, not everyone has that .. well .. anyway .. what exercises can I do to lose that?

Replies

• xtina11179
    xtina11179 Posts: 352
    Options
    OMG!! That is so weird!! I thought I was the only one who obsessed about that!! I have a feeling it is due to my poor posture my whole life but I am interested to see what other people say!!
  • jamie11k
    jamie11k Posts: 82
    Options
    I challenged my gym buddy to do pushups every day in December. We started VERY slowly, but by the end of the month, I was up to 30, and she was up to 11 (really good ones!). They really tone your top half! Arms, shoulders, back, shoulderblades, tummy. How about you accept my challenge and do pushups with me every day in June? :)

I'd also suggest 3lb weights in your hands while you walk. Lift them over your head and do some curls.

Let us know how it goes!
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    massage therapy can reduce that but you're right, it is largely due to posture. correcting posture through mental focus, yoga, and massage therapy may be the way to go. . .
  • xtina11179
    xtina11179 Posts: 352
    Options
    I challenged my gym buddy to do pushups every day in December. We started VERY slowly, but by the end of the month, I was up to 30, and she was up to 11 (really good ones!). They really tone your top half! Arms, shoulders, back, shoulderblades, tummy. How about you accept my challenge and do pushups with me every day in June? :)

I'd also suggest 3lb weights in your hands while you walk. Lift them over your head and do some curls.

Let us know how it goes!

I can't do push-ups...not a one. :sad: Never could, not even when I was super skinny. I have ZERO upper body strength! :grumble:
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    My humps??? Lol I thought of the song "My humps my humps my lovely lady humps!" :laugh:
  • lobsterhug
    lobsterhug Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm terrible at push ups too! A bunch of women over on theknot.com's Get in Shape board are doing the 100 Push Up challenge from this website: http://hundredpushups.com/

Over the course of six weeks you build up to doing 100 push ups. I'm doing the initial test tomorrow and starting on Monday!
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If you can't do any push ups, even on your knees, try doing them standing up and leaning against a wall and pushing out from there. That's what they recommended doing for my mom in physical therapy after her shoulder surgery. Then once you build some strength that way, you can switch to doing them on the floor!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Dasha, I have the same problem. I have a feeling it's somewhat about my posture, but I know a lot of it seems to be fat. I can just about "pinch an inch" on my hump, so it's not all skin. It's almost like the fat back there is compacted and hard unlike the rest of flabby me. So, maybe it'll go down some when you lose weight? I hope mine does.
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It's actually called a Dowager's hump: An abnormal outward curvature of the vertebrae of upper back. Compression of the front (anterior) portion of the involved vertebrae leads to forward bending of the spine (kyphosis) and creates a hump at the upper back.

(see http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=14071)

My physical therapyst told me to sit up strait and pull my chin toward my neck or use my index and middle fingers to push my chin toward my neck and it has helped a lot, but losing weight has helped a lot too.

Hope that's helpful.
  • katiri732
    katiri732 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    katie I thought the same thing, but to our poster did I see that you are smoke free right now? Congratulations.
  • rachelleybelle
    Options
    I have that same problem. I went to a doctor about it and he told me mine was probably hereditary. (All the women in my family have the same problem and I have yet to meet a person with better posture than my mother) I was told to maintain good posture, and get enough calcium and that would help. It's annoying isn't it?!
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    Yeah super annoying! Thanks for all the replies, I am going to try some of the suggestions! Not too keen on the pushups idea .. but I will do it. Just to say I did it!! Mine is hereditary from my grandma (dad's mom).