Gained 3 pounds back...

Options
I exercise like crazy literally, not going over calorie count. I lost 2 pounds, and then the next day had 3 more on. What could it be?

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I exercise like crazy literally, not going over calorie count. I lost 2 pounds, and then the next day had 3 more on. What could it be?

daily fluctuation, probably water weight, food weight, waste...etc. any number of daily weight changes. This is how the body works, it's nothing to be alarmed about. What you want to do is take many measurements over a longer period (say a month or so) if the trend is down, you're doing ok, if it's up, then you know you need to make some adjustments.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I would recommend only weighing yourself once a week, the same time/day every week. Your body will naturally fluctuate in weight due to water retention/hydration levels, how much food/liquids are being processed in your system, etc. Worrying over daily weight fluctuations will cause unneeded stress.
  • Lparault
    Lparault Posts: 100
    Options
    I'm SURE it is water retention from your muscles healing themselves from a rockin' work out. Drink more water. It'll come off. Keep up the good work.
  • iguanaliz
    iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Definitely water retention. I always am a few pounds heavier the morning after my heaviest workouts, but it's back to normal in the evening/next morning. I schedule my official weigh-ins on the morning following my non-workout day.
  • abutterflyemerges
    abutterflyemerges Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I gain 3 lbs twice a month...just before my period and before ovulation. I also think my body is playing a cruel joke on me sometimes for not giving it pizza, hamburgers and chips! But if you gain 3 lbs check back in a couple of days and see if changes.
  • mapnerd2005
    mapnerd2005 Posts: 363
    Options
    Step Away From the Scale. I know it's hard because you are so anxious to see progress, but if you weight yourself every day you will drive yourself crazy. Your weight will fluxuate by several pounds throughout the day and day-to-day due to water weight and many many many other factors. I am guilty of stepping on the scale every day hoping to see a change, but I only log my weight once a week. As long as that number is going down, I don't panic over the day-to-day fluxuations. Pick a day and time (I picked Monday mornings before breakfast) for a weekly "official" weigh-in. Every few weeks bust out the tape measure and take your measurements. If you are sticking with your plan, you should see a downward trend. Make sure to enter your weight on MFP after your "official" weigh-in. Remember, you didn't gain the weight overnight, so don't expect to lose it overnight. Good luck on your journey!
  • turtle31
    turtle31 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself everyday, it's not worth the disappointment
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily because I expect fluctuations and it doesn't freak me out. It helps me understand how my body works.

Between Wednesday and Thursday mornings I gained 2.5 lbs. Looked at my food diary and saw that I'd been over 2300 mg of sodium for 6 days in a row. So yesterday I ate just over 1200 mg of sodium and drank 135.2 oz of water. This morning I was down 3.3 lbs.

If weighing daily is helpful and doesn't send you on an emotional rollercoaster every day, do it. If weigh ins are more than just data to you throw out your scale and buy a tape measure. You want to be a smaller person more than a lighter person, right? What the tape measure tells you should be more important.
  • mbrody1947
    mbrody1947 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had the same concern when I started. The advice here is sound.

I was quite surprised to see that my weight would fluctuate up as much as 4-5 pounds! However, I only officially weigh in on Monday mornings ( the day after my non-work-out day) and almost every week I lose 1-2 lbs.

Curiously, when I have gone on vacation my weight increases on my official weigh -in day even though I followed my calorie intake restrictions and worked out even more than normally. On the other hand, the weigh-ins for the week following my return each time, I have lost 3-4lbs. I believe it is the change in environment, weather (hotter humid climates) and sodium intake.

Although I weigh myself every day the once a week weigh in has proved consistently confirming.

Good Luck!!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    It's water weight. Technically, I don't think it's possible for you to actually gain back 3 pounds of fat in a day if you hadn't eaten 10,500 calories.

Start weighing yourself once a week at about the same time. I have weigh-ins on Saturday mornings before my shower and breakfast. Actually, it's sort of fun only having it once a week because I get so nervous and excited on Friday night. :)
  • Brittany_Kayy
    Brittany_Kayy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    ditto to that =) I always love boss's replies =)

Measure yourself and try not to weigh as often. I know it's hard and I go through the same thing, actully I gained 2 back this week.. You'll be just fine! Hang in there!!!

daily fluctuation, probably water weight, food weight, waste...etc. any number of daily weight changes. This is how the body works, it's nothing to be alarmed about. What you want to do is take many measurements over a longer period (say a month or so) if the trend is down, you're doing ok, if it's up, then you know you need to make some adjustments.
  • MissKaay
    MissKaay Posts: 25
    Options
    Ah! I'll try my hardest to step away from the scale!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Watch your sodium, drink lots of water (maybe add a little lemon in it once or twice), and weigh yourself again in the morning. It's impossible to gain 3 pounds of actual weight in a day.