Dieting at Disney

Options
13»

Replies

• shellyb17
    shellyb17 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I just got back from Disney and I had no trouble! There are fruits/veggies, salads, turkey, chicken, fish or something reasonable pretty much everywhere you go. Our hotel had a breakfast buffet and I grabbed oatmeal and green tea there every morning. I even found a quinoa dish at the new Be our Guest Restaurant! I also did have a treat or two every day. (Dole Whip....drool...) The only place I would say I really ate bad was at the Kona Cafe because I refused to have anything but the famous Tonga Toast. I logged everything I ate as well as my activity and I burned far more calories than I consumed every day. My weight was down when I got home, lol.

Oh and a tip if you are a fan of iced tea, I discovered the best place to get one is at Gaston's in the New Fantasyland. They have unsweetened Fuze iced tea there. Much better than the watered down crap found elsewhere in the park.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I didn't even bother logging, because I had no idea whatsoever how many calories were in the meals, so it just seemed a total waste of time lol.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I've always found it very easy to eat healthy at Disney.

Just choose water instead of sugary drinks when walking around. there are plenty of healthy food choices and many, many restaurant options.

Don't stare longingly at the junk foods or they will call your name until you cave. lol... I do believe that has been proven to be a scientific fact. ;)
  • FabulousKP
    FabulousKP Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump..great suggestions. I will be going there in July w/this Dining plan!
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    This is a Dole Whip. It's pineapple juice and vanilla ice cream. And I want you to go into Adventureland and over to Aloha Isle and have one...for me.
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/727aa67382ee595bc6e0b9a03ebeb448/tumblr_milj3zqdGK1s6pi79o1_1280.jpg

The Dole Whip is not pineapple juice and ice cream. It's considered "non-dairy" (even though there is a milk-derived ingredient), and is lactose-free. I swear 80% of the posts on these forums are just people making things up out of thin air.

DOLE WHIP INGREDIENTS: Water*, Sugar, Dextrose, Pineapple Juice Concentrate, Coconut Oil**, Stabilizers (Cellulose, Xanthan Gum, Locust Bean, Karaya Gum, Pectin), Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking), Corn Syrup Solids, Citric Acid, Sodium Caseinate (A Milk Derivative), Artificial Flavor, Potassium & Sodium Phosphate, Mono & Diglycerides, Artificial Color (Yellow 5 & 6), Soy Lecithin.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Anewvillainiscreated-27889.gif
  • JennHas2Ns
    JennHas2Ns Posts: 17
    Options
    A fantastic resource I've used for Disney Dining is the Disney Food Blog. Just googling 'disney food blog diet' came up with a few results on the homepage for various diets like South Beach, etc. Not sure if they're as accomodating at the QSR locations, but I know you can always ask for something to be modified.

Disney has done a great job recently of giving you options for your sides like grapes and carrots instead of the regular chips and fries. Allears.net and the Disney Food Blog both have a list of menus for all the restaurants too. Feel free to do some research before your trip and see which places will mesh best with what you'd *like* to eat while down there. Worst case scenario, you'll at least know where the healthy choices whether you choose to eat there or not.

Enjoy your trip! I'll be down there in September and I'm doing the same research now!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Just take 5 days off of your diet... it won't be the end of the world and you can get back on track when you get back.

Or just don't clean your plate... smaller portions.

There is absolutely no reason ever not to enjoy all that Disney has to offer!
  • bryionak
    bryionak Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you think the food at Disney is horrible, you are doing it wrong.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2010/02/04/eating-healthy-in-walt-disney-world/

I read this link a couple times before I went and took what I learned from logging for a couple months and losing 15 pounds and made some good decisions.

The one thing I struggle with home/vacation what ever is eating slow and stopping before stuffing myself. Keep this in mind. We were there for 8 night/9 days and I lost a pound.

We ate at Rose & Crown, Teppen Edo, Yak & Yeti, Be Our Guest, Flying Fish Cafe, Brown Derby, Boma, and Ohana's. Having breakfast helped. I brought some GNC shakes thinking I would use as a meal replacement but only did that a few days. I went to the gym once.

Enjoy it, WDW is awesome.
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Wow, everyone seems to be all over the Turkey drumsticks! Sounds yummy! Also, seems like if you do it right, Disney may help you walk off some weight!! Can't wait till I can go one day!
    I'm sure if you're having lots of water and avoiding blatantly sugar filled crap, you'll be ok!
  • bryionak
    bryionak Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of the turkey drumsticks. But I may be the minority. They also have a ton of calories, 1000 or so. I am a fan of a lot of the sit down restaurants
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    The 7 thousand miles you walk in a day will balance out most of the treats you might consume. Enjoy - have fun, eat healthy when you can but splurge a little too and just get right back on track when you get home.