Question for a nutrition expert

Options
mamax5
mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
I was wondering how bad my habit was affecting my weight loss. I tend to get up and get my daughter ready for school, then go back to bed till my son wakes up. I am sometimes eating breakfast around 10-11am. Am I doing more harm than good? I'm not tired exactly, I just enjoy sleeping. Should I stop this and stay up at 6:45? Don't bash, I'm just not sure if it's a bad thing to do or not. Also when school is out I tend to wake up around 9 or so. I have kids that sleep in on their own :)

Replies

• KristiLeighS
    KristiLeighS Posts: 112
    Options
    I say if you need the extra sleep then do it otherwise, just try to stay up and get on a more normal schedule. our bodies like regular sleep schedules.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand. Are you asking if getting out of bed, then going back to sleep before later rising for the day affects weight loss?

If so, then no.
  • mamax5
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand. Are you asking if getting out of bed, then going back to sleep before later rising for the day affects weight loss?

If so, then no.

I'm up for about 15 minutes then I go back to bed.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

If so, then no.

I'm up for about 15 minutes then I go back to bed.

How could that possibly affect weight loss? Lots of people are up several times a night to use the bathroom or deal with babies or whatever.

Not getting enough sleep can affect your hormones and make you feel false hunger, but getting up and going back to bed isn't going to matter in the least.
  • mamax5
    Options
    I really wasn't sure. I'm just trying to cover all my bases to get to the bottom of a 6 week long plateau.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I really wasn't sure. I'm just trying to cover all my bases to get to the bottom of a 6 week long plateau.

You can happily scratch this off the list then. Get your sleep mom when you can get it. :smile:
  • mamax5
    Options
    Gosh....I am super tired today, I feel like I spent all day in the kitchen cleaning and cooking ugh! Nice to go to bed with a clean kitchen though. Got to remember to stay out of there tomorrow to clean the living room...other than maintenance of course. We are moving soon so I am trying to downsize and clean. Not looking forward to going through clothes that are too small to donate! Seems I am never done with that.
  • rudarbe
    rudarbe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    sleep as long as you want. I agree with trying to stay up and getting a normal sleep schedule!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Your plateau is due to the fact you have days with 300,400 and 900 calories then lots with zero calories logged. You need to change that. LOG or you won't know what's going on. If you are eating the same as the logged days then you are starving your body if you are bingeing the unlogged days then you are probably way over. Who knows? Maybe you do.. LOG your food and exercise!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Your plateau is due to the fact you have days with 300,400 and 900 calories then lots with zero calories logged. You need to change that. LOG or you won't know what's going on. If you are eating the same as the logged days then you are starving your body if you are bingeing the unlogged days then you are probably way over. Who knows? Maybe you do.. LOG your food and exercise!
    ^This! If those logged days are accurate, then you need to eat a lot more. Apart from anything else, that will definitely affect your energy levels. Also, you'll find it far more difficult to break through a plateau if you're not consistently and accurately tracking your intake.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ^This! If those logged days are accurate, then you need to eat a lot more. Apart from anything else, that will definitely affect your energy levels. Also, you'll find it far more difficult to break through a plateau if you're not consistently and accurately tracking your intake.

I agree with both posts!
  • mamax5
    Options
    I'm not as faithful with logging because I am trying not to obsess about food like I was. I was so concerned about food that I wasn't functioning. I don't think a candy bar here and there is going to throw me THAT off track. I know stress is at play here. Last week I know I ate a little too much. I am aiming for a more perfect week. I have made up my mind to succeed and my kitchen is not set up for failure. I will do better this week.
  • peakholistichealth
    Options
    I would think that something else is going on. You mentioned stress, that could be a huge factor in your plateau. While you shouldn't stress about food, I think if you are really trying you should log in everything you eat. You'd be surprised at what the results are. :)