I need help

Options
I've been depriving myself (eating around 400 calories per day)for several weeks and I've lost a lot of weight. However, I have decided that I don't want to keep being unhealthy anymore. I want to change. I'm just afraid of gaining weight back.. How should I start eating to not gain weight? Should I increase the number of calories gradually??

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I would try to get up to at least 1000 pretty quickly. You are going to see some gain, simply because your body isn't used to it. Try to get to 1200 within the next two weeks, then gradually increase o somewhere around your maintenance and sit there for awhile, see how you feel.
  • ThoseLittleCats
    Options
    u'll gain but jus start out at 900-1000. then ur body will get used to it, and then slowly eat more an more :)
  • KristiLeighS
    KristiLeighS Posts: 112
    Options
    to be honest, I think you need some professional help. you obviously have some issues with food and we can tell you all day long what you should be doing but for you it is a psychological thing. so please, seek professional help!
  • candicane32081
    candicane32081 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You gotta know this is bad for you! There is no way your body is getting anywhere close to the nutrients it needs just to survive! Has your hair started falling out yet? If not, it will, trust me. You should atleast bring your calorie count up to 1,000 a day , I would say, because if you keep this up it will get worse than just hair falling out!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Talk to a doctor. Preferably one that specializes in eating disorders.
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think that if you break 1000 calories down to six small meals, it should speed up your metabulism. as long as your doing your part working out, you should be okay.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I think that if you break 1000 calories down to six small meals, it should speed up your metabulism. as long as your doing your part working out, you should be okay.

The metabolic increase caused by spacing your meals out through the day is minor. And 1000 calories is too little for almost anyone, no matter how it's spaced out.
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

The metabolic increase caused by spacing your meals out through the day is minor. And 1000 calories is too little for almost anyone, no matter how it's spaced out.

I agree but it's a start as she says she has a hard time taking in more than she is presently. Just an idea, but maybe the OP can try making shakes as they are easy to drink. A scoop of protein powder, a few spinach leaves, egg whites, almond milk and some fruit blended up is an easy 400ish calories right there.
  • alexsis88
    alexsis88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I say UP those calories!! Up to about 1400-1600 and increase cardio. Be smart about it don't make it junk and u will see minor weight gain. Why? Because the weight u have lost so far is muscle and water weight. When u eat less than what your body needs it stores as many fat cells as possible for starvation mode then your body eats at the muscles you DO have and makes u weak, tired, cranky, in pain ALL the time! U need to build back up strength and get that muscle back so u can burn off the fat! U can do it! Please please please do not limit ur calories that low!!! Its doing more harm than good I promise you! Stay headstrong and be the powerful person u deserve!
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Babe, don't do that to yourself. Eating more will increase your metabolism and help you lose more weight in a healthy way. You need to eat at least 1000 calories a day, probably more like 1200. You are hurting your body. You can die from anorexia. Please stop doing this to yourself.