need help on shoes

Options
I know the right shoes for the right work out is important. So I was wondering what are some good cheap (some what cheap cause I know most good shoes are not) shoes I could try on when I go shopping. I will mostly be doing work out training/ cross fit traing and some cardio here and there not a big runner I rather swim for cardio. My husband need a pair to so I need ideas on both gender shoes. Thank you.

Replies

• Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    A good running shoe will do you good for all of that. (except swimming..lol) Good cheap shoes are going to be hard to come by. You're not going to be logging miles in them like a runner would so you can cut some corners.... I suggest trying big retailers and getting things on clearance. They'll do this when a new model comes out or they change it for the season. Peltz shoes has good clearance prices http://www.peltzshoes.com/ and a decent return policy. You'll probably want to look at a cross trainer as they'll have more lateral stability.

My personal choice is Brooks. Second is Adidas. Nike makes good shoes but I've always found Brooks and Adidas to be a better fit for "me". What I would recommend is trying out a running store. (A store for runners) They'll check your gait and steer you in the right direction as far as shoe choices. However expect to pay about $100 for a pair of shoes... but they'll be longer lasting and more comfortable than "discount" shoes. Most companies make a lower end shoe. Nike, New Balance, Asics, etc. but the materials and construction aren't the same. Those $100 shoes may last you 3x as long as that $40 pair, and you'll be more comfortable in them too.
  • Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Quality running/workout shoes are hard to find at a good price but I have the best luck online. I bought my last pair of Pumas on shoes.com and they were only around $45. They were on sale and the site usually has extra 25% of sale shoes. 6pm is another good website. I think they both have free shipping so if they don't fit just send them back.
  • jadelunar
    jadelunar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't know about cheap shoes - anything I would call cheap, I wouldn't trust on my feet.

I wear five-fingered Vibram shoes. They are the most amazing shoes I've ever worn. They are super comfortable, have built up my arches, improved my balance, decreased my knee pain and built up the overall muscles in my feet. I wear them most of the time, and when I'm not wearing them, I usually wear a shoe with minimal support. I've learned that all the extra support in your shoe isn't needed and in fact can cause problems in your back and knees. There's so much research on it if you're interested.

The other bonus is that my shoe size has actually shrunk a size and a half! This is because I've built up the arches in my feet. Apparently it's not uncommon for this to happen with people with flat feet who wear these shoes religiously.

If you do decide to buy a pair, make sure you break them in slowly, about an hour a day and gradually build up the time. At first the muscles in your feet will get sore, so you'll need time to build them up.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Shoes are one of those "you get what you pay for" things. Cheap shoes will be made out of cheap material and not only won't last as long but also won't support your feet the way a good pair would.

I swear by Vibrams Five Fingers. They aren't cheap (~$100/pair) but the pairs I've bought have no signs of wear after a year and they are very comfortable for running, lifting, hiking, and water sports. My back has never felt better than when I wear them.
  • Erinnlynne
    Erinnlynne Posts: 1
    Options
    Find a running store so you can go in and have them take a look at your feet to determine what kind of shoe you need. I found out that my running shoes were perfect, but was told to not wear them for Zumba because I need less support and more movement capability. I am loving the shoes so far and know that I am doing right by me feet. Once you're fitted for a shoe you can start looking for them cheeper on line.
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    In reference to Jadelunar's post, the 5 finger shoes are excellent at building all those muscles in your legs and feet you don't use. They're fine for working out in at the gym too. You do have to "work" into them though. They take some time getting used to as you'll have muscles aching that never ached before. Now, I'm not sure your or your husbands weight, but if you're overweight you really want to stay away from them as they may cause more harm than good. This is when padding is good. By stability I mean more leather (or whatever) on the sides to keep your feet from rolling. Some running shoes consist mostly of mesh, which does nothing for stability in a shoe. Remember, doing crossfit you'll be going side to side and all over with your feet. You don't want to roll an ankle. The sides of cross trainers are built up more for this. Trail running shoes are usually built up more too. Vibram's are going to set you back a pretty penny though. You can get the Fila Skeletoes instead. They're not quite the same in terms of overall fit/finish but you can get them relatively cheap. It's also a 4 toe design, keeping your pinky toe with the one next to it for a lesser chance of stubbing it and breaking it. Not a bad shoe to test the waters in and see if you like minimalist shoes. Vibrams are king of minimalist though, and all others are second place.
  • jessicahansen378
    jessicahansen378 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    to clarify I meant cheap as in between 60-80 dollars. I do not like toe sock or things between my toes so don't know how ill like those shoes but I have heard great things about them. Has any one tried avia I heard they were good for cross training. I am also a massage therapist so if I spend over 100 they would also be my work shoes since I do a lot of squatting and side to side movements and lunges. Going to look at all these too thanks for the info.
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I love my vibrams especially on leg days, some gyms don't allow you to wear them though. Their logic is that if a weight is dropped on your foot it will cause more damage. I call bs drop a 45 on your foot it wont matter unless you are wearing steel toes. Any shoe with a flat bottom is good for the gym. Converse are fairly inexpensive and flat soled. I say flat soled because lifts like squats/deadlifts you drive through your heels. Most athletic/ running shoes are slightly taller in the heel creating a forward lean, not something you'd want in the gym. For running and casual wear you can't go wrong with nike or brooks.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    just go by fit... brand doesn't matter.

ideally you want to get fit in order to find out what type of support need.

if that's not possible, go to some shoe store that has all their shoes on the floor, not one where you have to ask the salesperson to going back for your size. then try on pretty much every she would a have. pay attention to things like arch support, how the shoe fits through your mid foot, and how wide the toe box is.

after you try on a half dozen or so you should start to feel the difference in fits. buy the pair of shoes that fits you best. the exact same advice applies to your husband is well.