Lift light or lift heavy? Lift smart!

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    There is a vast majority of women on here who are getting into fitness for the first time. They have never lifted regularly before. We need a better regimen for them, better advice. Your goals of bulk and strength are not applicable to them

Why do you guys feel attacked or threatened by this?

A 200 lb woman does not need to be intimidated at the prospect of going to the gym. She needs to go in there and lift what is right for her.

Why wouldn't ALL women have strength as a goal? I have a "skinny" friend, size 2, who isn't strong enough to help her husband move a couch. I overheard my boss tell some one today "Well Susan doesn't need to be loading 100lb boxes into the truch by herself." Well why not? I could. I can also carry 2 of my 3 children at once. Being strong is awesome. Stronger women live longer with less injuries.

Why is a 5x5 program any more intimidating than a 3x20 program? Strong lifts you go in there and squat the bar to start. Why is that scarier than bicep curling? Because the barebell isn't pink?
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    OP - you need to back off the sex thing brah. Its not helping you get your point across. The same strategies work for both sexes.

Would bang.

Thank you.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    There is a vast majority of women on here who are getting into fitness for the first time. They have never lifted regularly before. We need a better regimen for them, better advice. Your goals of bulk and strength are not applicable to them

A 200 lb woman does not need to be intimidated at the prospect of going to the gym. She needs to go in there and lift what is right for her.

So do the elderly count too in your opinion or are you just sexist?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3117172/
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    2) mostly women are taking issue with this ideology.

err.....nope....check the thread.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    OP - you need to back off the sex thing brah. Its not helping you get your point across. The same strategies work for both sexes.

Agree with this but two reasons I talked about women: 1) as I mentioned it was a woman on my FL who prompted me to write this, and 2) mostly women are taking issue with this ideology.

So why don't you offer your advise to her instead of generalizing your recommendations to EVERY woman?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    ^ but nobody said you shouldnt be lifting heavy progressively - key word progressively.

I gave the reason for this post twice on this thread saying that some women are over training because there is a school of thought that ONLY heavy load can help you.

So I do not understand why you think I think old men you age shouldnt lift heavy. Or women of any age shouldnt lift heavy if they can or want to.

I only said if you cant lift heavy, lift lighter but go more reps.

And secondly, my earlier assertion, which I did not repeat in this thread, but which some of you support, was higher reps for toning, lower reps for strength/size.

Oh, so overtraining and lifting heavy are inextricably linked then?

"if you can't lift heavy, lift lighter but go more reps." Interesting. Have you ever read Wender's 5/3/1?

Specific rep ranges are used for strength vs. hypertrophy.

You didnt care to read through the OP or click on the links so there cant really be a discussion.

nice flounce

Glad to see some brains in this thread- also he did the same thing to me. I asked legit questions and he refused to respond.

And I made legit points regarding his comments and he now seems to think I made HIS comments. Amusing
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    The sad thing is, I don't disagree with the underlying point Op has as I understand it now. Lifting too heavy causing injuries is bad (tho even those of us who promote heavy lifting believe if you are being injured you need to lower the weight and fix your form). I agree that if you don't want to lift a heavy weight, you can lower the weight and do more reps (I do this and set my reps in order to maintain the same ORM I would have had from a higher weight and Lower reps). I also agree that it is best to do more than one kind of exercise (I lift, run, and do yoga.... And by "lift" I do both 5/3/1 and body building type assistance work).

My problem from the beginning was that we didn't have information from the study of what was meant by "heavy" and "light." I went and found that information and shared, but by then OP was putting words in my mouth based on little more than my gender.... And then refused to respond to me, all while professing to care about women.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    To add to my irritation, he began to generalize about women's bodies, their attractiveness, women's goals, and my personal goals, taking odd offense to me stating that I want to be strong and do fun stuff like go rock climbing.

Then the thread went down the "no homo" and "jihad" route which is just more mind-numbingly bigoted BS.

So glad there are other people here who won't tolerate this crap.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    And one final point, I don't care what exercise someone chooses to do. That's their choice. I support people who train for marathons and do not lift at all. But I don't like anything that makes it out like lifting heavy is somehow drastically different for women than it is for men. Sorry. It's not.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

Why wouldn't ALL women have strength as a goal? I have a "skinny" friend, size 2, who isn't strong enough to help her husband move a couch. I overheard my boss tell some one today "Well Susan doesn't need to be loading 100lb boxes into the truch by herself." Well why not? I could. I can also carry 2 of my 3 children at once. Being strong is awesome. Stronger women live longer with less injuries.

Why is a 5x5 program any more intimidating than a 3x20 program? Strong lifts you go in there and squat the bar to start. Why is that scarier than bicep curling? Because the barebell isn't pink?

Love this. Thank you.

It's almost like they don't get that women who deadlift a bazillion pounds started light, worked on form, changed their reps over time, and busted their *kitten* to get there. Only an idiot would walk into a gym their first time and load a bar up to 200 lbs to try their first DL. I started doing 3x12 at 50 lbs. that was my DEADLIFT for my first two months.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Initial premise was reasonable, but then the thread went all...
    tumblr_m5t3hytd411qcggyvo8_r1_250.gif
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    Initial premise was reasonable, but then the thread went all...
    tumblr_m5t3hytd411qcggyvo8_r1_250.gif

LOL.

You just made it 200 x's better!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

In any case, just based on physical fitness, the majority of attractive female bodies on here or in real life are not lifting too heavy. most are targeting 10-15 rep range, and looking great doing it.

<<<<<<<<<<<<Lifts in the 3-5 rep range on all my compound lifts, and in the 8-10 range for all my accessories.

In fact, most of the women I KNOW on here (a few of which have since deleted you) who have amazing bodies lift in the same rep range I do.

Methinks OP is wrong.

Also, please continue to tell me what my goals are as a woman. I'm so enlightened.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

In any case, just based on physical fitness, the majority of attractive female bodies on here or in real life are not lifting too heavy. most are targeting 10-15 rep range, and looking great doing it.

<<<<<<<<<<<<Lifts in the 3-5 rep range on all my compound lifts, and in the 8-10 range for all my accessories.

In fact, most of the women I KNOW on here (a few of which have since deleted you) who have amazing bodies lift in the same rep range I do.

Methinks OP is wrong.

Also, please continue to tell me what my goals are as a woman. I'm so enlightened.

We're not attractive in OP's eyes because we lift in the 3-5 rep range. That's it, ladies. Let's pack up and go home. Time to call it quits.
  • Granville_Cocteau
    Granville_Cocteau Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Ladies you're both gorgeous!

But there could be a generational gap here: While one can do low-reps/high weights (say 5x5) in their 20s and 30s and escape from injury (assuming proper form and no overloading) when you hit your 40s the chance of injury with that kind of plan escalates because the body's muscles take longer to recover. Not unsurprisingly, some trainers advise to limit the frequency of heavy pressing and leg work for those over 40.

Even for the younger crowd new to weight training, though, I've never understood the point of lifting super heavy for those whose main goal is to lose fat while maintaining muscle, because with a few exceptions you can't add muscle on a cut. If you're looking to gain strength, of course you have to engage in progressive loading. However, the vast majority of people here are just looking to cut fat while maintaining muscle, so in theory for that goal, one would seem generally better off w/ circuit training/higher reps with lower weights.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    My head is spinning...
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options

But there could be a generational gap here: While one can do low-reps/high weights (say 5x5) in their 20s and 30s and escape from injury (assuming proper form and no overloading) when you hit your 40s the chance of injury with that kind of plan escalates because the body's muscles take longer to recover. Not unsurprisingly, some trainers advise to limit the frequency of heavy pressing and leg work for those over 40.

Even for the younger crowd new to weight training, though, I've never understood the point of lifting super heavy for those whose main goal is to lose fat while maintaining muscle, because with a few exceptions you can't add muscle on a cut. If you're looking to gain strength, of course you have to engage in progressive loading. However, the vast majority of people here are just looking to cut fat while maintaining muscle, so in theory for that goal, one would seem generally better off w/ circuit training/higher reps with lower weights.

because so called circuit training doesn't challenge me at all. not enough to make the kind of progress i can make with
    a heavier weight routine. and heavy is relative. lifting 70lbs when you weigh 120, isn't the same as lifting 70 when you weigh 200. or if either of those people have experience with strength training prior.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Here's my idea of lifting smart: lift whatever the **** you want as long as you don't hurt yourself. Boom.
  • brandon0523
    brandon0523 Posts: 516
    Options
    Here's my idea of lifting smart: lift whatever the **** you want as long as you don't hurt yourself. Boom.
    my motto is... I dont lift to pick up chicks. I lift to pick up chicks cars. So I like your idea of smart lifting.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

<---- 45 years old. Want to try again?

What rep range do you think is best to retain LBM? Would this circuit training of yours include progressive loading? Do you not think you need progressive loading to maintain LBM? How many reps and sets is this circuit? What rep range do you think best to benefit bone density the most?