Juicers... Are they worth it?

Options
thomcand
thomcand Posts: 23 Member
So I have seen a lot of juicers being pushed lately. I don't know much about them so tell me your opinion. Are they worth it? What is so great about them? What kinds?

Replies

• uthatswho
    uthatswho Posts: 34
    Options
    Juicing is great. I was addicted to adding a cucumber to every kind I blended.
    Nowadays I'd rather eat it, than drink it though because it takes a lot of fresh produce to make juice.

My advice is don't invest in a Vitamix until you go a few rounds with blender.

Are you planing on trying wheatgrass? Some juices take ...getting used to :D
  • itsCheek
    itsCheek Posts: 104
    Options
    I got a Jack Lallane juicer on Craigslist for $40 and juice twice a day!

I got started because of the movie "Hungry for Change" and am a huge fan of Jason Vale (7 lbs. in 7 Days)
  • janimei
    janimei Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My Vitamix leaves no pulp behind--everything gets liquified, so there is no loss of fiber. However, I do leave apple and pear cores on the cutting board (just my preference). The only thing I'm not satisfied with is the way it handles dehydrated granular coconut. I've stopped adding that because the smoothies are grainy.
    My most common smoothie is 1 cup of fruit, 1 cup of skim milk, 1 cup of chard, 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt, 4-5 ice cubes, and a small squirt of agave syrup to cut the tartness of the yogurt.
    Vitamix soups and frozen desserts are so easy to make (my machine has a separate setting for each, so I don't have to do any pulsing--the machine knows which speeds to use, how fast to accelerate, and when to slow down, then stop).
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Depends.

Do you like juice?
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I rather eat the whole fruit.
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I also got started juicign becasue of the hungry for change movie. I like the veg juice and love how it makes me feel, but it is time consuming and expensive so I dont do it every day.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    No, eat food.
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    I would eat food instead
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    So I have seen a lot of juicers being pushed lately. I don't know much about them so tell me your opinion. Are they worth it? What is so great about them? What kinds?

Juicers are worth it. They give you a lot of nutrition that you otherwise could not get. You cannot eat as many fruits and especially vegetables as you can juice. The nutrition goes right into your bloodstream and is very easy to digest. I feel very good when I juice. I feel more satieted. It has been hard to do it because of cost but I hope to get on it more. I am going to try a local farmers market for fresh fruits and vegetables. Juicing is not the same as eating the whole food. You can get more nutrients from fresh vegetable juices and you don't have to deal with the fiber which would be eliminated from your body anyway. Most people who juice say to eat your fruit but juice your vegetables and I would tend to agree, but fresh fruit juices are very good! You would be surprised how good they taste.

I have a Champion juicer and it makes this fresh sorbet like ice cream from fresh frozen fruit that is so good. It does not juice greens very well.
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I used my juicer once and then never used it again.
    It was a pain and you don't get a lot of juice from 1 or even a couple of fruits. :/

I would rather eat the fruit instead and get all the nutrients I can get.
  • md3b3tt
    md3b3tt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are looking for. If you are considering juice, you might want to consider smoothies instead.
  • md3b3tt
    md3b3tt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I personally would go for smoothies over juices. I, like a few others who I saw posted, would advocate whole food. You can make lots of different types of smoothies and add things that juices just won't do for you, (like Flaxseed, chia, etc). Also, you can make smoothies in a regular blender, or a Magic Bullet, or the like.

Don't get me wrong, juice is great! But there are nutrients in the other parts of the fruits and vegetables that you won't get in the juice!
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I like my juicer, but it's one of those things that I go through spells. I saved the pulp and tossed it into banana bread. The best part is apples and pears make my gums itchy and my throat itchy, but I have no reaction when I juice it (yes, I do peel them before I at them too) - this is the main reason I use it
  • JDBLY11
    Options
    I personally would go for smoothies over juices. I, like a few others who I saw posted, would advocate whole food. You can make lots of different types of smoothies and add things that juices just won't do for you, (like Flaxseed, chia, etc). Also, you can make smoothies in a regular blender, or a Magic Bullet, or the like.

Don't get me wrong, juice is great! But there are nutrients in the other parts of the fruits and vegetables that you won't get in the juice!

I love smoothies but I love juice too. I can fit both into my daily food alottment thankfully. You actually do get most of the nutrients in the juice just not the fiber if it is a good juicer.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Fruit juice has the same amount of sugar, ounce for ounce, as soda.

And as others have said, you are removing the best part of fruits and vegetables by juicing--fiber. The part that helps you stay full and that slows down the absorption of nutrients to keep you fuller throughout the day.

If you like your food in liquid form, get a blender instead.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Juicing is great but for me, it's too much work, it is too time consuming to clean and you throw away all that lovely ffiber! I bought a Blendtec blender, very expensive. I probably could have used a less expensive blender. I still get my fruits and veggies, but they're blended, not juice.

Just make sure you don't spend a lot of $$ for something you uyse for one month then put away.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap one (mistake number one?) and had to do a lot of the dreaded prep work just to get the damn fruit in the hole (that's what she said...hahaha). And cleaning it was a nightmare. I've considered something larger, with a bigger whole that I could juice whole foods with. But....I've realized I prefer blending when I want to, and I'm too lazy to get up and juice, then rinse or clean the damn thing.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Y'all, you can drink juice AND eat food! No need to hate on juice. Juice is delicious!

I got a free juicer from a friend and I really enjoy fresh juice. It's a pain to clean, though. I guess think about that when you are considering how much you'll use it.

Sometimes I want a pile of veggies, and sometimes I was a tasty juice cocktail. They don't have to be mutually exclusive!
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I love juicing fresh fruit for my daughter and I! Taste so much better.

I have the original model of Jack Lalanne.
  • JDBLY11
    Options
    Fruit juice has the same amount of sugar, ounce for ounce, as soda.

And as others have said, you are removing the best part of fruits and vegetables by juicing--fiber. The part that helps you stay full and that slows down the absorption of nutrients to keep you fuller throughout the day.

If you like your food in liquid form, get a blender instead.

There is a big difference between the fruit sugar that comes from freshly extracted fruit juice and the highly processed cane sugar in soda. I don't think you can compare the two, not that you should have a lot of fruit juice every day. If you are diabetic fruit juice should be limited.

And just because you juice does not mean you cannot get enough fiber in your diet. You can still eat fruits and vegetables whole or blended or whatever.

Whenever I drink fresh vegetable juice it makes me feel well nourished and my body feels very alkaline. It makes me feel healthy.