Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I have been a member of Planet Fitness for nearly a year now. I think it accomplishes, as a franchise, exactly what its commercials portray: a welcoming, slightly quirky, non-judgmental atmosphere where someone not used to working out can "get their feet wet" with a minimum of intimidation. I have no real complaints about the place. I can get in, get on the equipment, and get out quickly and efficiently, and with the Black Card membership, I can treat myself to a massage and tanning post-workout. Not too shabby for $20 a month.

That said, I think I'm getting close to outgrowing them as a gym. I'm looking for a wider range of available equipment options, some classes, and heavier weights. But I really believe that I wouldn't have developed the healthy habits I have in place now if it weren't for PF and places like it. If you're looking for a good place to start, it's worth a try.

PS: To the person who asked about a limit on how many times you can go, I work out there every day, and have sometimes split that into two sessions to save time, and I've never been told I can't. So I'd say it's probably not true, although your mileage may vary at your location.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the particular Planet Fitness you join, My boyfriends is terrible, very tiny, few free weights, always crowded. My Planet Fitness is like a huge warehouse and I never have an issue with it being too crowded even at peak times. For $10.00 a month it certainly serves my purpose, running a few miles a few times a week, arc trainers, lots of medicine balls to help with my ab workouts, high enough weights on the weight machines to get a good chest and back workout in, however I usually use the free weights I have at home. I think it is the perfect gym for a beginner gym goer who has the motivation to look up a workout routine and adhere to it. Do not join if you are looking for fun classes, personalized attention or any of the other stuff that comes along with nicer gyms.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have been to several PF gyms. They are franchises and vary. There are two w/in a block of each other near my job. One has a great layout with everything I could want, and the other has a crappy weight section with limited weights and benches. I have also been to a few others and for the most part they have been well-stocked and laid out, and not too busy to access your choice of equipment. Music in the background ranges from rock to pop, at varying volumes. You can't escape the TVs, but the volume is off and close-caption is on.

The answer to your question? It depends. For $10/m and no contract for single gym membership, it's certainly worth joining for 1 mo to try it out. I have read that it can be very difficult to cancel, though, so make sure you are aware of that policy before you join.
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    For $10/m and no contract for single gym membership, it's certainly worth joining for 1 mo to try it out.

I forgot to mention that this is a nice perk of the Black Card, too...the ability to use your membership nationwide. My boyfriend lives in Seattle, so it's nice to be able to work out when I'm there, but as I understand it, you can get reciprocity at a lot of gyms.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    For $10/m and no contract for single gym membership, it's certainly worth joining for 1 mo to try it out.

I forgot to mention that this is a nice perk of the Black Card, too...the ability to use your membership nationwide. My boyfriend lives in Seattle, so it's nice to be able to work out when I'm there, but as I understand it, you can get reciprocity at a lot of gyms.

I like the fact that with the black card you get to take a guest for free (I would be the guest). My husband used to work out at a big gym in town. It had every piece of equipment anyone could want. My sister is the manager there and I would go with him maybe 4 times a month (I had my own gym where I worked that I used) and this was on my work at home days or a day off. Even though my sister worked there I still had to pay the $15 day pass. That's a LOT of money for a pass that I was going to use for a couple of hours and three to four times a month that money adds up quick. Not to mention the fact that my husband was paying $40/month for his membership (and the memberships don't include classes which is an additional chunk of change) and although he was lifting rather heavy at the time he wasn't there all the time and it was just an expense that made no sense. He/we switched to PF several years ago and it works fine for us. Yes sometimes he gets bummed that the dumbbells only go up to 65 lbs however he wasn't nor will he be a power lifter. The gym works well for us. Will there come a point when I "out grow" the equipment? Maybe but so far I haven't.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I'm a PF member and I honestly love the one in my town. I mean I haven't really dived into the world of lifting yet (as I'm juvenille-y afraid of it, something that I'm working on). The staff are nice, its clean, and the other members are all nice, and not bothersome in the least.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    It's 10 bucks a month, try it out yourself and see if you like it

^This. It's not for me, but you're not doing my workout. For $10 per month it can't be that wrong. Unless there's no free weights and/or squat rack, because then it wouldn't be worth $10. But with no contract, it's only $10 to find out

Ive heard they give away free pizza every week. If you arent eating your $10 worth of pizza a month and then working out for free then everyone is doing it wrong.

I am yet to hit that Pizza station! I need to get in gear and make an appearance on that Monday!:bigsmile:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I think it accomplishes, as a franchise, exactly what its commercials portray: a welcoming, slightly quirky, non-judgmental atmosphere where someone not used to working out can "get their feet wet" with a minimum of intimidation.

Isn't the explanation of a "Lunk" that is posted in all PF's judgmental?

Just say'n.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't go to Planet Fitness because I think they're premise is exclusionary and judgmental, and I feel like they don't actually want their clientele to improve.

THIS THIS THIS

Planet Fatness will never get my buisness.

Any "so called fitness facility that holds pizza parties for it's members doesn't care about them.
    They don't want them to actually get better- they want EVERYONE to be mediocre. It's sad.

I'd never go there- nor would I ever recommend anyone going there. EVER. It's sad- and shameful.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't go to Planet Fitness because I think they're premise is exclusionary and judgmental, and I feel like they don't actually want their clientele to improve.

THIS THIS THIS

Planet Fatness will never get my buisness.

Any "so called fitness facility that holds pizza parties for it's members doesn't care about them.
    They don't want them to actually get better- they want EVERYONE to be mediocre. It's sad.

I'd never go there- nor would I ever recommend anyone going there. EVER. It's sad- and shameful.

Well well well. Fancy running into you here Jo =P
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I was wondering if I knew you from somewhere- bikes and what not.

:) long time no chat. how's it going... Feeling better about the working out bit?

new bike I see too ;) NICE
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I was wondering if I knew you from somewhere- bikes and what not.

:) long time no chat. how's it going... Feeling better about the working out bit?

new bike I see too ;) NICE

It's pretty intermittent. I have days I feel like I can do anything and days where I struggle with stairs. I can't keep to any set schedule but I do it when I can.

2006 ZX6R, the one with the 636 engine =) It acquired some battle scars since that pic was taken and it'll be all black soon.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    that's all that matters.

Iv'e been going ham for the last year... but I'm struggling through a plethora of injuries at this point- so I'm really slowing down and wildly aggravated.

Doing something is better than doing nothing though!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    It's 10 bucks a month, try it out yourself and see if you like it

^This. It's not for me, but you're not doing my workout. For $10 per month it can't be that wrong. Unless there's no free weights and/or squat rack, because then it wouldn't be worth $10. But with no contract, it's only $10 to find out

Ive heard they give away free pizza every week. If you arent eating your $10 worth of pizza a month and then working out for free then everyone is doing it wrong.

*rolls eyes*

Yes. And if you don't participate they taunt you and throw it at you as you're trying to work out. If that doesn't work then they grab you, hold you down and force the pizza down your throat. Forget about trying to complain. Apparently it's corporate policy that you MUST eat the pizza that they offer as well as the bagels. Why I've been chased off of the premises many times by pizza throwing employees because I don't participate. I have the burns on my back to prove it. I haven't brought a suit because I'm too ashamed. I was also hospitalized and almost died from the bagel they shoved down my throat.

True story!!
  • ClevaFeatha
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness and I LOVE IT!! I am a very self concious person and dont wanna feel like im being judged or watched and i have been going to this gym for a couple months and have never once found i feel uncomftorable.:happy:
  • ClevaFeatha
    Options
    Im shocked by the negativity im hearing about the facility. Im in Oklahoma and have always had nothing but posotive experiences.... I hope if you decide to go you have the same.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Completely underwhelmed by the one in my town. Everyone who works there is around 22 and more interested in tanning and flirting than training or helping customers. It just was more about meeting people to date than working out.
  • ClevaFeatha
    Options
    I heard that they have a limit as to how often you can visit. Is this true?

The only limit ive been givin is being able to only tan once a day.... However why would anyone wanna tan more than that lol.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Im shocked by the negativity im hearing about the facility. Im in Oklahoma and have always had nothing but posotive experiences.... I hope if you decide to go you have the same.

The bottom line is this: PF is a franchise and each one is individually owned. Corporate policy discourages owners from stocking their gyms with the kind of equipment needed to take anyone beyond a beginner level as bringing in customers who operate at a more intermediate to advanced level would, they feel, not mesh well with their whole "judgment free zone" sales pitch. It is up to individual gym owners whether or not they choose to go the extra mile for their customers, which means technically going against corporate policy. I had the misfortune of belonging to a PF that was 100% compliant with corporate policy. Things you will see at a PF location that complies 100% with corporate policy are:

Lunk alarm going off every 10-15 minutes
    No free weights beyond dumbbells. Machines only.
    If you use the Smith Machine for deadlifting or squatting, you are warned by the sounding of the lunk alarm. Continued violations may result in being kicked out.
    Grunting or dropping weights result in the sounding of the lunk alarm. Doing it again will result in being kicked out.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would not join because of the lack of free weights. That being said, there is no reason you can't get in great shape using only machines.