Is a TRX worth the cash?

Options
odddrums
odddrums Posts: 342 Member
I've been looking at different suspension trainers and am wondering if a TRX is worth the money or if another single anchor trainer will do as good of a job. Thoughts?

Replies

• jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Get a good look at a TRX from google or the specs posted on their site. Then drive yourself to homedepot or lowes and make one for a whole lot cheaper. Ive done this with agility ladders, pull up bars, barbells, and other assorted gym equipment.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Get a good look at a TRX from google or the specs posted on their site. Then drive yourself to homedepot or lowes and make one for a whole lot cheaper. Ive done this with agility ladders, pull up bars, barbells, and other assorted gym equipment.
    ^^^Exactly what I would do!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    All told, it's an exercise system that you attach to something and hang from while you do various movements. It's not magic. If you find a cheaper system that has the same equipment, or with multiple anchors, I would buy it. Or get the TRX if you have the cash for it. Let's not overthink this.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    All told, it's an exercise system that you attach to something and hang from while you do various movements. It's not magic. If you find a cheaper system that has the same equipment, or with multiple anchors, I would buy it. Or get the TRX if you have the cash for it. Let's not overthink this.

Dual anchor vs single anchor:

Dual anchor units allow you to perform more advanced, more strength-intensive moves that involve full bodyweight suspension. Essentially, you can use them in a manner similar to you would gymnastics/crossfit rings if you get good enough. That is their main advantage. Intermediate to advanced users can simply get more out of a dual anchor.

Single anchor units, due to the greater degree of instability, make the basic, beginner/early intermediate level exercises much more core intensive, so they will benefit you more as a beginner. Personally I would only recommend them to people using suspension training to supplement another form of resistance training, because the limitations of not being able to do full bodyweight suspension exercises mean you'll hit the limit of strength progression fairly early on.

I have both. I used to use the Jungle Gym XT (dual anchor, $80 or so on amazon) as my primary unit. However, when I began combining sandbag training, the single anchor unit (CrossCore 180, $250 or so) became my primary unit.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ^^that's the guy I would listen to about this stuff
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    If you can create the set up at home, definitely go for it. I took several TRX classes at the gym and its an excellent workout!! I would pay for them.
  • jeraldo86
    jeraldo86 Posts: 2
    Options
    Short version: HELL YES!!

Long version: Well, you may be exceptionally handy. A friend introduced me to TRX workouts and I was amazed; when I saw the price, I was shocked. He told me a friend of his, an engineer, felt the same and set off to make his own -- while he spent only a little more than half the retail price of the TRX, he was unable, despite multiple tweakings, to duplicate the quality, durability and ease of use of the TRX. Its around $150 -- the price of a couple months' gym membership (or half a month's, in NYC ;) ) I like it especially because I've had a number of orthopedic injuries over the years, some repaired, some still nagging, and TRX allows you to micro-adjust the intensity of each workout, simply by adjusting your stance and angle, so I can go as hard as my body will allow, but not even a little bit over that -- been at it for about 9 months without any deleterious effects.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Suspension trainers are worth the cash. TRX brand units, however, are overpriced compared to competitors and offer no real benefits. Paying $200 or so for a TRX over $80 or so for a Jungle Gym XT or $150 or so for a Human Trainer is just paying for the name.
  • HeathersArk
    HeathersArk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes!! Full body workout, low impact, cardio and strength in one workout. Best workout I have EVER gotten is TRX. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Will never not use it now!
  • gominnesotawild
    gominnesotawild Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been using the TRX at the gym and have been liking it. I looked online for an less expensive alternative for at home. I purchased a "equalizer suspension trainer" which was $40. I received it two days after I ordered it and I am pleased with it. Seems to be a good quality especially for the price! :)
  • MikeyM1982
    MikeyM1982 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The Rip60 is much better built, much higher quality, has training DVD's and a training programme. Oh and its cheaper.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I hadn't seen this discussion but a few days ago I looked at the TRX Web site and decided to buy one after we close our pool in the fall since I wou;dn't be able to do a post-work swim.

This morning on MFP I got a banner ad (don't you love CyberStalking?) from TRX offering 20% off plus free shipping if I'd "come back" and buy it. Oh, what the heck.

It's on its way. :-) Just wanted to let everyone know if you're on the fence and this woudl change your mind.