Multi Vitamins??

Options
I am a 28 year old female. Should I be taking one? Which one should I be taking? What are your thoughts?

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Provided you are eating a healthy diet full of fruits and veggies you really don't need one.

I haven't taken one in years. I can get my vitamins and minerals from food. A lot of vitamins available in most stores are low quality and don't fully absorb into the body.

Edited to say.... about once or twice a week I do take a B vitamin solely because I don't eat meat or many animal products and sometimes don't eat something the contains B 12. I do try to have a tbsp. of nutritional yeast on something each day so I don't have to take the B vitamin.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I only take one because my doctor advised me to. How's your diet? Do you work out excessively? I do, which is why he told me to take the vitamin. He even recommended prenatals.
  • tarynmcbride
    tarynmcbride Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks...I kinda had the same feeling. I am just starting to get my diet on track, so honestly, no I am not getting all the vitimins and minerals I need...but that will come as I adjust my diet
  • tarynmcbride
    Options
    I do not have a heard core work out...yet...what type of vitimin did he/she recommend? a brand name?
  • Mommylicous
    Mommylicous Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    We're a multi-vitamin family. Even my 2 year old takes daily gummy multivitamins. If you're getting all your nutrients from food, that's great.. But most people don't eat a healthy enough diet on a daily basis to get all the nutrients they need.

My husband takes Optimen Vitamins, I take Optiwomen. They're a little pricey, but they're the only vitamins that don't make my husband sick when he takes them on an empty stomach.. And I was able to completely get off my Rx Iron. It's jam packed with B vitamins though, so your tinkles are neon green.. But that's just from where the body expels the excess vitamin B.

Edited to add: They also help my body recover faster after hard workouts. I don't get as sore the day after strength training as I do when I forget to take my vitamins.
  • thisismeraw
    Options
    Thanks...I kinda had the same feeling. I am just starting to get my diet on track, so honestly, no I am not getting all the vitimins and minerals I need...but that will come as I adjust my diet

Maybe take one until you do get your diet in check.. but be careful which one you buy. Most available, even a lot of those more expensive ones in the health food stores, aren't fully absorbed by the body and aren't always the best quality. Vitamins do not need to be regulated by the FDA.

Small amounts of fresh foods gives you normally more than 100% of your daily requirement which makes it super easy to get what you need in.
  • tarynmcbride
    Options

Maybe take one until you do get your diet in check.. but be careful which one you buy. Most available, even a lot of those more expensive ones in the health food stores, aren't fully absorbed by the body and aren't always the best quality. Vitamins do not need to be regulated by the FDA.

Small amounts of fresh foods gives you normally more than 100% of your daily requirement which makes it super easy to get what you need in.

Ok great! Thanks for the advise!
  • tarynmcbride
    Options
    We're a multi-vitamin family. Even my 2 year old takes daily gummy multivitamins. If you're getting all your nutrients from food, that's great.. But most people don't eat a healthy enough diet on a daily basis to get all the nutrients they need.

My husband takes Optimen Vitamins, I take Optiwomen. They're a little pricey, but they're the only vitamins that don't make my husband sick when he takes them on an empty stomach.. And I was able to completely get off my Rx Iron. It's jam packed with B vitamins though, so your tinkles are neon green.. But that's just from where the body expels the excess vitamin B.

Edited to add: They also help my body recover faster after hard workouts. I don't get as sore the day after strength training as I do when I forget to take my vitamins.

OK! Thanks for the information!
  • tarynmcbride
    Options
    Is there such thing as taking too many vitamins in a day??
  • Etienne54
    Etienne54 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hey Tary,

If you would like some more information try looking at this www.metabolicpower.com once you take the test and get your metabolic fitness score it will advise you on what to take. If you choose to I'd be happy to work with you too. My website is www.metabolicnow.com.

Stay Passionate,

Ray

Sounds like a saleman..

Any multi-vitamine would do, It won't harm you body in anyway.

I take a sport/bodybuilder vitamines pack : Animal PAK.
  • thisismeraw
    Options
    Hey Tary,

If you would like some more information try looking at this www.metabolicpower.com once you take the test and get your metabolic fitness score it will advise you on what to take. If you choose to I'd be happy to work with you too. My website is www.metabolicnow.com.

Stay Passionate,

Ray

Please don't follow this. It is a MLM company and he wants to sell you products which is against forum regulations.

I wouldn't recommend taking advice from someone who will benefit financially when you buy a product from them.
  • Mandatha
    Mandatha Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've tried a bunch of different ones, for various reasons, and the only one I've found that's worked for me is Nutrilite's Double X. It's got 100% DV or more of practically every nutrient your body needs. It gave me tons more energy and calmed my cravings a TON! That vitamin, plus small changes in my diet & exercise habits, and I lost 50 pounds after I graduated college. I also haven't had anything nastier than a week-long cold since I started taking it regularly.

Unlike a lot of the more cheaply-made vitamins out there, these are designed for your body to absorb as much of the nutrients as possible. The Double X can be kind of upsetting to some people's stomachs, though, so if that's you, I'd give the Daily a shot --same deal, just less potent. Both are satisfaction-guaranteed for 6 months--my favorite part!
  • Etienne54
    Etienne54 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

You'll just pee the excess out of your body. :P
  • thisismeraw
    Options

You can. Most of the time your body will expel any extra vitamins via sweat and urine however some may be stored within your body. Fat soluable vitamins will just be stored within your body which can become toxic if you build up too much. Most of time we take far too many vitamins in a day.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options

That's true for water soluble vitamins. For fat soluble vitamins, the excess will build up in your tissues. If you take too much over a period of time, you could become very sick.
  • tarynmcbride
    Options

You can. Most of the time your body will expel any extra vitamins via sweat and urine however some may be stored within your body. Most of time we take far too many vitamins in a day.

We do? Ok! Thanks! I was worried that it could be a bad thing to take too many.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Yea you should, it would definitely be beneficial. It's hard to get ALL your micros in consistently when there are so many and so many foods to choose from.
  • mep0430
    mep0430 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you're dieting, I say absolutely! I take one daily, along with calcium+D, krill oil and fiber.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I take certain vitamins to help me with what I need. I take a daily multivitamin, Omega-3 for cholesterol, brain health and it's anti-inflammatory properties, B-6 helps give me a little boost, magnesium (natural calm) for anxiety and L-Theanine for anxiety if the Natural Calm doesn't help.
  • tarynmcbride
    Options

That's true for water soluble vitamins. For fat soluble vitamins, the excess will build up in your tissues. If you take too much over a period of time, you could become very sick.

What is a water soluble vitamin? What is a fat soluble vitamin? Are both found in a daily vitamin tablet?