im new I have 120 pounds to lose

Options
my name is Rose, I am 28 and I currently weigh 280lbs, I have 120 pounds to lose just to be at the top end of a healthy weight for my height which is, 160lbs. I just started counting my calories today, and walked 1.75 miles. Which I might do again later on today. This is going to be a long road for me but it is worth it!!

Replies

• jdcole67
    jdcole67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Wecome Rose...I was 310 pounds when I joined in January, and my first goal is to lose 110 pounds...this system works...stick with the guidelines, eat your exercise calories and you WILL lose weight...I resisted food journaling for far too long, and I kick myself when I think of all the time I wasted on fad diets and desperate attempts that were doomed to fail...if you get discouraged, there are many people on this site that are fighting the same battle as you and are very willing to lend an ear...good luck!
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    Hey Rose! Well wishes to you on your weightloss journey and regaining better health! Just keep in mind that you're making life style changes essicentially for the rest of your life! So, take your time, keep moving, keep counting and feel good about every single day! You deserve this for you :flowerforyou:
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Welcome Rose! This is a great site. I agree with the pevious comment. I kick myself for not starting the "food diary" sooner. It has been so much help. It's crazy how a bite here and there adds up so quickly. Utilize everything this website has to offer. Find a discussion group to join. Make lots of friends. Talk to people about works for them. It will give you tons of ideas. Think of it as a lifestyle change. Good luck on your journey!

Jess
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!! This is a great place to be for support with weight loss!
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    Good start Rose!!! We are here for you. :)
  • SmilinNurse
    SmilinNurse Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Welcome Rose......
    Wishing you all the best in your new lifestyle!!!
    Just remember that there is soooo many people her to offer support and they will become you MFP family!
    We are a very happy bunch to boot!!!
    :) Crystal
  • onyxlibra7
    onyxlibra7 Posts: 93
    Options
    Hi Rose. I have 140 to lose so girl I am SOOO with you. We are in it to win it!! The team here is GREAT..it's my first day and I'm so in love.lol Ur gonna love it! =D
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat, but I'm 41.

I actually joined because of the calorie counter/food diary, found the exercise journal and have fallen in love with this place! :)

I'm on track...although I'd like to lose more per week, I follow the recommended calories so that I don't go into starvation mode. :)

Good luck!
  • TonyaR
    TonyaR Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have 130 left to lose, and I too kick myself for NOT doing the food diary sooner! The exercise journal is helping me to KNOW where I'm at with my exercise and my 5 year old likes to do the workouts with me! So its a family effort on my end! Welcome!!
  • docsmith
    docsmith Posts: 4
    Options
    :glasses: Hey Rose Im in the same boat as everyone else. My goal is to lose 130 lbs and all I can say is the food diary is working for me. I never paid attention like I am now. I've lost almost 12 lbs in about a month and a half. More importantly, there is a lot of support and encouragement here. If you stick with it, I think you will be successful.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I read recently that if you write something down you will be 40% more likely to achieve it.
    Write it and tell someone the likelihood to achieve it goes up to 65%.
    Write it, tell someone, and make someone you are accountable to the likelihood to achieve it goes up to 90%.
    I think this site helps in all 3 areas.

I have a total of 65 lbs to get to my "high goal". It has helped me to break it into small steps. My first small goal is 10 lbs. I've lost 9 so far after around a month on this site. Almost to goal one! You can do it too.
  • VeronicaManuel
    VeronicaManuel Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good Luck Rose, stick with it. Not only will you gain confidence but a ton of pals waiting to cheer you on! Everyone here is very amazing and extremely supportive and consistent. Just be patient with yourself and you will go a long way!
  • Irelander
    Irelander Posts: 3
    Options
    Welcome Rose, I wish you all the best luck obtaining your goal.

One of the most important things to remember, you will eventually hit a plateau, but stick with it, you'll start picking up again, it's all part of the process! You'll find that logging your food regularily will help you learn to eat better (knowledge sure is power in influencing your decison making process!).

Also, if you miss a day or so of logging your food, don't stress over it, it's ok to also "miss" a day here or there as long as you are not ingesting twice the amount of your daily calories (have that extra slice of pizza!!).. but again, remember we're all human and the best thing you can do is be honest with yourself and if you make a mistake, it's ok, we've all done it as well! You are not alone!

I am nearing the 50 pounds lost mark myself, and ideally have about 30 to go, so your path might be a little longer than mine, but remember it's the journey, not the destination that will bring you the most joy... as the destination is always moving, so you must as well.

Best of luck to you again!
  • leadvocalchick
    leadvocalchick Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi Rose! Welcome Welcome Welcome! You're gonna love this place!!! :happy:
  • mrsmillan
    mrsmillan Posts: 37
    Options
    thanks to all of you who have posted, I love the well wishes
  • mrsmillan
    mrsmillan Posts: 37
    Options
    thanks
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Welcome Welcome Welcome! You are in the right place! YOU CAN DO THIS! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Kelly
  • lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You'll love using the site and being surrounded by nothing but support here! Good luck!