toes go numb

Options
Does anyone else in this world have a problem with their toe's going numb on the elliptical trainer??? It happens every time, about 10 minutes into the workout... I can go and go but my dumb toes are numb and tingly! Once I get off they are fine... What the deal?? It's sooo annoying!

Replies

• mccoym15
    mccoym15 Posts: 2
    Options
    That happens to me sometimes too....I try to flex my foot a bit....so it isn't so stiff. So when you are placing your feet on the platform try to be a bit more light...hard to explain but relax your feet....
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    ha ha...me, too.
    Altho, no too funny....my trainer told me to get better inserts and not to lace too tightly...it works, when I remember to loosen the grip! Good Luck:glasses:
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    YES!! I get that problem after about 15 minutes. I figured that it's because I have flat feet. I recently bought new sneakers and got gel inserts to put in them. They help but the still go numb after a while. My trick to stop that is to rock my feet back and forth with the motion of the elliptical so that the pressure isn't constantly on the front of my feet. Or I lift up my feet with each turn to mimic actually running. Anything to alleviate the pressure seems to help and I can get through my 45 minutes with some numbness but not enough to make me want to stop.

I'm interested to see if people have other solutions to this problem....
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    I don't have an elliptical, but my toes go numb on my stationary bike ..and when I'm standing up doing my Wii Active .. the bottom of my feet go numb. It is super annoying. I just shake it off and try to get the blood rushing back ..
  • brocflores
    brocflores Posts: 111
    Options
    I have the same problem as you...10 min in and my toes start to go numb :( just lift your feet up every few minutes and wiggle your toes to try to get some circulation in and you should be fine. It is annoying like you said though. Don't worry its not only you!
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I get the exact same thing on an exercise bike. Annoying because I feel like I need to take a break to get the feeling back before I continue.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, during Zumba too....my instructor says to spread 'em! :noway:
    Spread my toes out....! Don't clench 'em....
    I still had to get some dance shoes....but the stints on the elliptical have improved.
  • georgette70
    georgette70 Posts: 158
    Options
    YES!!! I was going to post something about that....my right foot always goes numb after about 20 mins.....i just try to wiggle it around a bit to try and get rid of it!! Not sure what else to do!! :ohwell:
  • JodieHut
    JodieHut Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    OMG.... I thought it was just me!! That happens to me every single time on my ellipitcal machine too. I tried tennis shoes, dress flats, and even fuzzy slippers.... still numb toes! Finally, last month I got out my summer shoes and got on the elliptical with open-toed flat sandals.... no numbness! I'm so happy!
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Yup. Not every time, but often...
  • sweetrevenge
    sweetrevenge Posts: 188
    Options
    This is actually the second time that I have seen this type of post in the last 2 weeks so this obviously happens to a lot of people. This actually does happen to me, but I have herniated discs in my lower back, which causes sciatica which causes numbness in my feet so I thought it was just that and I guess I kind of got used to it.

This seems t be a problem from a lot of people, if it's not to annoying to work through I would say just keep pushing along, it's worth it in the end.
  • pnwcowboy
    pnwcowboy Posts: 8
    Options
    Yeah ,me too. I have to wear sandals??? lol umm i just hang 1 foot over the edge so that the palm of my foot is absorbing the weight until its gone takes 15 secs . sandals? i think not ill deal with it lol
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    It totally happened to me too! It was only ever my right foot and usually about 20-30 minutes in. I'd tried everything from spreading my toes, wiggling them, lifting my feet (I always feel a LITTLE special when I do that) nothing worked but getting off the elliptical... and then, because I go the best gym ever, the guy on the machine next to me saw me shaking my foot trying to get the feeling back and suggessted doing intervals where I lean back a little and don't use the handles... NO MORE NUMB TOES!! If he wasn't so sweaty I could have kissed him!! Haven't had numb toesies since!!
  • lyngoode
    lyngoode Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for these posts!!! I thought I was the only one experiencing this. I was getting a little worried about this problem. I love MFP!!!!!!!!
  • maddmary17
    maddmary17 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Good to know that I don't have a problem.... :)
  • balinda816
    balinda816 Posts: 2
    Options
    your feet stink so bad they are getting light headed from the stench.....love ya....just kiddin!!!!!
  • musicmrse
    musicmrse Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when I run. My husband came out to watch me run one day and said I was on my toes too much. I try to extend my heel more and bend lower with my knees. If I use my quads more than my calves, it really helps.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    your feet stink so bad they are getting light headed from the stench.....love ya....just kiddin!!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • TeriB19
    TeriB19 Posts: 33
    Options
    Happens to me everytime I get on the elliptical too!!! So leaning back and releasing the handles, huh? I'll have to give that a try. Thought it was just me!!

And thanks for the links to previous topics!

Teri