A question for the lapbanders ..

Options
Did they tell you that you have to wait 2 hours before drinking liquid after you eat? Do you follow that? I try to the best I can. I was just wondering ..

Replies

• afyfe
    afyfe Posts: 93
    Options
    My doc says 30 minutes before and 30 after.
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    Hmm that's interesting .. my doctor/nurses said 2 hours after ..
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    May I ask why?
  • redbedhead
    redbedhead Posts: 53
    Options
    Im not a bander, just and RNY Bypasser :laugh: , but I only have to wait 30 minutes before, no drinking during, and 30 minutes after.
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have the band and I'm told to wait 30 to 45 minutes between drinking/eating.

I do follow that MOST of the time. It's hard in the morning though because I really want my coffee and my breakfast too, and there is limited time to exercise, shower and get dressed, eat breakfast, catch a bus to work, etc. I'm always arriving to work later than anyone as it is (luckily, I'm salaried, so no specific start time).
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    My doctor suggests 30 mins before and 1 hour afterwards... but I never do the 30 mins before thing. Sometimes I forget and drink before the hour is up afterwards.

For the one who asked why.... the point of the lap band is to eat a smaller amount of food and feel satisfied for longer. If we drink with our meals or right afterwards, the liquids will flood the food through the band and we will not feel satisfied for as long afterwards and that will lead to eating more.... which would defeat the purpose of having the band. :frown:
  • Mary_Burris
    Mary_Burris Posts: 120
    Options
    30 before 1 hour after...I follow the after most of the time but the before not really. the after is probably the most important to me because I stay Full for longer If I do and thats the point.