Where do I FIND friends? something has got to change

Options
I'm 25 and I hardly have any friends... I spend a lot of my time with my mom, at work or working out. I've been single for a while. It's gotten to the point that it feels like it's literally depressing. I don't think I ever really had any "true friends' then again a lot of people go different ways and grow apart. I have my facebook closed because everybodies life is so exciting... trips etc enjoying their 20s and I feel like mine is just passing by so fast.

I have no idea how to change this.... I want to so badly. It's not that easy to "make friends" at work or even at my gym.
I seriously have no idea what to do.

Replies

• oX_Vanessa_Xo
    oX_Vanessa_Xo Posts: 478
    Options
    I hear yea. I lost all my friends when I became a mother. I really dont have one single person whom I would consider a friend.... just acquaintances.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could do some volunteer work. I did that last summer and made some friends that way.

Look on Meetup.com for groups of people in your area that have common interests.
  • sarahtonin015
    sarahtonin015 Posts: 193
    Options
    This can be interpreted as either really nice or really creepy (lol), but if you would like, I can be your friend lol Sometimes, if you feel you have difficulty making friends in person, a nice place to start is making friends like this (over a forum, or online, or pen pals, etc.). I went through a period when I was about 14 where I found it difficult to make friends in person, and I met a girl from Arkansas (I'm from Canada) and we began communicating and gradually, I felt more comfortable re-immersing myself back into making friends in person - and my friend from Arkansas and I still keep in contact! :)
  • ajv1985
    ajv1985 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm 25 and I hardly have any friends... I spend a lot of my time with my mom, at work or working out. I've been single for a while. It's gotten to the point that it feels like it's literally depressing. I don't think I ever really had any "true friends' then again a lot of people go different ways and grow apart. I have my facebook closed because everybodies life is so exciting... trips etc enjoying their 20s and I feel like mine is just passing by so fast.

I have no idea how to change this.... I want to so badly. It's not that easy to "make friends" at work or even at my gym.

Try www.meetup.com , all sorts of groups to meet new people in your local area and its free.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Do you have any civic organizations - Jaycees or volunteer opportunities. I met a lot of friends in these organizations. I also volunteered at the local playhouse - worked behind the scenes during the shows and had a lot of fun. If you exercise, how about joining a biking, yoga or running / walking club. You can't blame anyone but yourself if you don't make the effort to make yourself available to be a friend. You need to take the first steps.
  • kgibson17
    kgibson17 Posts: 23
    Options
    I know how you feel. Do you live in Vegas?? Ever since we moved there it has been a struggle to meet anyone I would consider a friend. I still have most of my friends from previous cities but NOT here! It sometimes makes me sad. You can add me as a friend!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    To make friends, you need to step out and make the first move. Invite someone from work to coffee, join a group exercise class at the gym and make an effort to say hi to the same people and ask how they are each week. This is something I'm having to learn too after graduating college. I never moved around as a kid, so I never had to make an effort to make new friends. And in college, they kind of land in your lap in the dorm and at parties. Now I have to make the effort to start conversations and plan times to hang out with people. It was a bit awkward at first, but it works!

Also, do you live near anyone who you were once close with? It's never to late to reconnect!
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options

Try www.meetup.com , all sorts of groups to meet new people in your local area and its free.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Also, if you are crafty call up one of the local knitting, scrapbooking, quilting, etc stores and see if they have open table nights. If not, why not learn?
  • aeg176
    aeg176 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    "Friends" in the true sense of the word are necessary for most people. I understand exactly where you are coming from I'm a single mother of a two year old and forget about making friends after that. Even before I was preganant I didn't really have that many "friends". They have either all moved away or at a diffiferent stage in their life. facebook can be depressing although i haven't been able to shut it down permanantly. I am going through a very rough patch in my life right now and I realized just last night I have NO ONE to talk to. If you find the secret please let me know. If you want to friend me I'd be more than happy to chat.
  • DawnGuck
    DawnGuck Posts: 1
    Options
    Finding friends is hard. I am a single mom and did nothing but be a mom and wek for almost 19 years.
    My son turned 18 and graduated school the following June so I decided it was time
    For me to be a woman again. He will be 21 this October and I have been having a blast the last 2 1/2:years.
    I have few people I call true friends but I have lots of accuatensens. I know that's spelled wrong.
    I have really only Ben on my weight loss goal for 3 months but just get out there. Ho to places you would not normally go and be sociable. It never hurts to be around people.