Tone arms in 6 weeks..whos in

Options

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Ok I am in this for sure. I hate my arms. Due to loosing alot of weight real fast I have really flabby arms and am so embarrased I don't wear sleevless or too short sleaves.

Some people have loose skin that has to be surgically removed. But do the workout and you'll find out in time.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    It says use the heaviest weight you can handle but i think if i use i weight just under that since i have never worked out my arms before then if i see results after the 6 weeks i can move up to a heavier weight. We can motivate each other. I am doing it today so I can let you know roughly how long it takes. I am assuings about 30 mins max which is not that much time out of the day!

If you've never worked out before you should pick a weight that is easy for you to handle and focus on your form and breathing for the first three or four sessions. Then you can move up to a challenging weight. You may be surprised how sore you get even from a light weight. You may need to prepare your joints. If you were being supervised by a trainer, it might not be as necessary to be so cautious. Despite what you may have heard, you are supposed to lift weights with all your attention, it's not a mindless act.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Guaranteed to be a complete waste of time unless you're eating less food and lifting heavier things.
    \

I thought if you're eating less food you can't build muscle?

I'm purposely not eating at much of a deficit right now while I work on improving my strength. I guess I'm not really aiming for "toned" arms so much as "arms that can lift heavy stuff and feel good doing it," so I'm not considering it a waste of time at all. I've tripled the weight I initially started at (which was, admittedly, ridiculously low), and I can see knots of muscle under my arm flab, and I feel awesome!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Guaranteed to be a complete waste of time unless you're eating less food and lifting heavier things.
    \

I thought if you're eating less food you can't build muscle?

I'm purposely not eating at much of a deficit right now while I work on improving my strength. I guess I'm not really aiming for "toned" arms so much as "arms that can lift heavy stuff and feel good doing it," so I'm not considering it a waste of time at all. I've tripled the weight I initially started at (which was, admittedly, ridiculously low), and I can see knots of muscle under my arm flab, and I feel awesome!
    "Tone" is a pretty way of saying "lose bodyfat". The lifting heavier things part minimises muscle loss so you actually have some muscle to uncover as the bodyfat drops.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    "Tone" is a pretty way of saying "lose bodyfat". The lifting heavier things part minimises muscle loss so you actually have some muscle to uncover as the bodyfat drops.

Exactly.

"untoned" just means you starved yourself or OD's on cardio and you lost lean muscle mass along with your fat meaning the body you're left with is soft and wobbly.

Eating enough protein coupled with weight training means you melt fat but retain muscle = being "toned"
  • lyndzipage
    lyndzipage Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyones in puts For those of you joining me welcome...We might not get to "exactly" where you want your arms to be in the 6 weeks BUT it is a start. If you are on MFP you are oviously eating better (or trying)(for those negative about doing this) Also for those who think this is a waste of time, I feel that if you are workingout and pushing you body no matter what it is a good thing. I am a busy mom trying to get fit/lose the baby weight so thats why i posted this. I am moving my weights up every 1 1/2 weeks I started with 5lbs and now at 7lbs. Thanks for all the comments and look for work to those joining me

also what does BUMP mean?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

B ring U p M y P ost- it brings your topic thread back to the front page of the forum.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

B ring U p M y P ost- it brings your topic thread back to the front page of the forum.

Also, if someone else might bump your post so they can follow it or find it easily later since it will show up in "My Topics"
  • leanne0605
    leanne0605 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Im in. Need to get bigger weights though.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Of course there will be nay-sayers here. :noway: No matter the topic, someone is always here to shoot down the post. I'm not sure how lifting weights could possibly be considered a waste of time. Looks like a great routine to add to your workouts! Thanks for posting!

Here here. Getting off your sofa to try and make a difference how can that be a waste of time? No one said this is a miracle fix.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Also for those who think this is a waste of time, I feel that if you are workingout and pushing you body no matter what it is a good thing.
    Agreed, and you are making progress, so that's great. :flowerforyou:

Also, don't discount others' advice just because it comes across as a bit "negative". As far as working out goes, doing something is definitely better than doing nothing, but if you can learn a few things along the way to enable you to workout more efficiently, and get better results in the same time frame, then that would surely not be a bad thing?
  • KatLifter
    Options
    Of course there will be nay-sayers here. :noway: No matter the topic, someone is always here to shoot down the post. I'm not sure how lifting weights could possibly be considered a waste of time. Looks like a great routine to add to your workouts! Thanks for posting!

Here here. Getting off your sofa to try and make a difference how can that be a waste of time? No one said this is a miracle fix.

Ummmm yeah. I read through and didn't see any nay-sayers or people telling you it's a waste of time. Some of us told you not to expect miracles and some realities. 6 weeks of light weights won't give you toned arms. Sorry. This is the truth, not nay-saying or saying it's a waste of time Just be realistic in your expectations.
  • lyndzipage
    lyndzipage Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Also for those who think this is a waste of time, I feel that if you are workingout and pushing you body no matter what it is a good thing.
    Agreed, and you are making progress, so that's great. :flowerforyou:

Also, don't discount others' advice just because it comes across as a bit "negative". As far as working out goes, doing something is definitely better than doing nothing, but if you can learn a few things along the way to enable you to workout more efficiently, and get better results in the same time frame, then that would surely not be a bad thing?

Yes i totally agree :)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

Ummmm yeah. I read through and didn't see any nay-sayers or people telling you it's a waste of time. Some of us told you not to expect miracles and some realities. 6 weeks of light weights won't give you toned arms. Sorry. This is the truth, not nay-saying or saying it's a waste of time Just be realistic in your expectations.

Workouts like this are all about working towards your goals and to keep on moving. No one said anything about getting themselves completely toned arms in 6 weeks, but you got to start somewhere dont you? If someone hasnt lifted a dumbell before they should start light and work themselves up.
  • KatLifter
    Options

Workouts like this are all about working towards your goals and to keep on moving. No one said anything about getting themselves completely toned arms in 6 weeks, but you got to start somewhere dont you? If someone hasnt lifted a dumbell before they should start light and work themselves up.

I agree with you, but the topic of the thread is "Tone arms in 6 weeks". There are so many 'Quick Fixes' out there that really don't work. People would read that this is a quick fix.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options

Oh, is that what it stands for? I still think it's stupid. I use "Save for later." But thanks for explaining.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options

I agree with you, but the topic of the thread is "Tone arms in 6 weeks". There are so many 'Quick Fixes' out there that really don't work. People would read that this is a quick fix.

Exactly. [Slim/Tone] [Body Part] in [Number] [Weeks/Days] is a women's magazine article staple.

I certainly don't think it's a waste of time to exercise, but the factors like overall body fat and pre-existing loose skin do matter. I also thought that the workout missed some exercises that usually are included in an arm routine.
  • Heartlessal
    Options
    I also am starting this! I need to start somewhere in trying to lift weights so thought this would be a good start. How's your progress?
  • Jesspaige_lchf
    Options
    i'll join!
  • edwardgaweda
    Options
    Since you already bumped a near 3 week old post...

There is no such thing as toning. "Toning" is a made-up term that perpetuates the linked myth of spot reduction. They do not exist.

You want nice arms? Good. Lower your bodyfat through exercise and diet, and lift CHALLENGING weights that work the muscles in your arms. This same rule applies to every other statement like "I want a nice toned _____."

Seriously. Stop with the quick fixes. Stop ever mentioning toning. Stop lifting baby weights. Challenge yourself. Work hard. Get results. Nothing comes easy.