Lift HEAVY!!!! Especially girls...do not be afraid!

Replies

• I never know what to do with the weight...i look at them, i walk around the weight area and feel like an idiot and leave. LOL.
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    I agreeeeeee! I have to lol everytime I hear "I don't wanna get all big like a man"
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    If you want to tone up then lift! I started lifting and I'm in the best shape I have ever been 6 months after my 3rd baby. It really works!
    :noway: Most women are afraid to lift heavy because they will get "big!" You can not get "big" per se unless you are a body builder, and even then it is EXTREMELY difficult to get "big!" Scale back a bit on the cardio if you are limited on your time and throw in a couple heavy sets....it works!!!!!!!!!

Im so glad you posted this! i have people telling me not to do this, and some telling me to do it! Gosh I just want to TONE UP!
  • mamas0811
    mamas0811 Posts: 97 Member
    I never know what to do with the weight...i look at them, i walk around the weight area and feel like an idiot and leave. LOL.

Haha Lol.. Me too! :) i fell like people just stare at me like "What is she doing here" lol.. :blushing: :huh:
  • mamas0811
    mamas0811 Posts: 97 Member
    If you want to tone up then lift! I started lifting and I'm in the best shape I have ever been 6 months after my 3rd baby. It really works!
    :noway: Most women are afraid to lift heavy because they will get "big!" You can not get "big" per se unless you are a body builder, and even then it is EXTREMELY difficult to get "big!" Scale back a bit on the cardio if you are limited on your time and throw in a couple heavy sets....it works!!!!!!!!!

Im so glad you posted this! i have people telling me not to do this, and some telling me to do it! Gosh I just want to TONE UP!

Okay, so this is where i get confused... is it more weights? or less weights? to tone up...
  • mak061
    mak061 Posts: 19
    Especially for girls? or do you mean females?

For the older woman out there, please read this - it's an extract from Leslie Maxwells article "Consistency is the Key" - for those of u who dont know her, she's 55 and is one incredible woman, with a very fit strong healthy body and to look at you'd think she'll live to 200!

From the age of 35 a woman’s body composition changes by losing lean muscle every year and replacing it with fat - IF she does nothing to change her eating or exercise habits. As muscle burns approximately 25% more calories than any other body tissue, we need to keep as much of it as possible. This
    is inspiration alone to keep training! Strength training three to four times every week with some cardio thrown into the mix will keep you fit, strong and agile.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    I never know what to do with the weight...i look at them, i walk around the weight area and feel like an idiot and leave. LOL.
    Go in with a plan!! Read, research, and go in with clear intentions.
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member

Okay, so this is where i get confused... is it more weights? or less weights? to tone up...
    in order to what people so call "tone" you have to build muscle and burn fat. to do that you have to lift heavy.
  • mhcoss
    mhcoss Posts: 220
    i'll tell you ladies from a man's perspective women that lift are HOT (usually)
  • skinnylynnie74
    skinnylynnie74 Posts: 154 Member
    i'll tell you ladies from a man's perspective women that lift are HOT (usually)

AND, we have stronger bones, too, which means less osteoporosis and bone breaks as we age!
  • Elicur
    Elicur Posts: 78 Member
    all this lift heavy stuff is making me dizzy...
    Can you lift heavy if all you use are handweights? what is heavy...?
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    I want to get off the machines but I have no one to teach me the right form with free weights...

Youtube. There are THOUSANDS of free videos showing you good form.
  • mak061
    Women's Weight Training Myth #1 -Weight training makes you bulky and masculine.

Due to the fact that women do not, and cannot, naturally produce as much testosterone (one of the main hormones responsible for increasing muscle size) as males do, it is impossible for a woman to gain huge amounts of muscle mass by merely touching some weights. Unfortunately, the image that may come to your mind is that of professional female bodybuilders. Most of these women, unfortunately, use anabolic steroids (synthetic testosterone) along with other drugs in order to achieve that high degree of muscularity. In addition, most also have good genetics coupled with an unbelievable work ethic that enable them to gain muscle quickly when they spend hours in the gym lifting very heavy weights. Believe me when I say that they do not look like that by accident. Women who conduct weight training without the use of steroids get the firm and fit cellulite-free looking body that you see in most fitness/figure shows these days.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    I try to lift weights. I really don't know what I am doing so I don't even know if I am doing it right, as far as reps, sets, weight, positions? I don't even know what you call it lol. I need a weight lifting buddy to show me the way!
  • AlongCame_Molly

Handweights are not going to cut it. (I'm assuming you are talking about those little pink 10lb ers?)

Heavy means as heavy as you can manage while still maintaining good form. Usually as heavy as you can lift for 10 reps. You should be struggling by the 9th and 10th rep. Rest 30-40 secs, and repeat.
  • meramirez2012
    meramirez2012 Posts: 40 Member
    I agree 200% Lifting produces amazing results fast, and you will never look big and bulky like you fear. If you hire a trainer, don't let him/her keep you on the machines. Go for those free weights!
  • mak061
    I dont know about what others say but heavy is the weight that when u get to your 12th rep (if you’re doing 12) you’re barely getting it up – it’s a real struggle.
    And as u continue doing this, you’re muscles rip and repair and grow, then u can slightly increase weight as the previous weight gets easier.
  • AlongCame_Molly

MOAR WEIGHTS. Always MOAR.
  • Elicur
    Elicur Posts: 78 Member

Handweights are not going to cut it. (I'm assuming you are talking about those little pink 10lb ers?)

Heavy means as heavy as you can manage while still maintaining good form. Usually as heavy as you can lift for 10 reps. You should be struggling by the 9th and 10th rep. Rest 30-40 secs, and repeat.

I can only lift maybe 15-20 lbs for that many reps.. so shouldn't it be considered heavy? I live in a town with no gym ://
  • I agree 200% Lifting produces amazing results fast, and you will never look big and bulky like you fear. If you hire a trainer, don't let him/her keep you on the machines. Go for those free weights!

Okay, help me understand. Is everyone saying it is actually better to substitute the cardio with lifting??? I have limited time, so I need the best bang for my buck. (I'm over 35 too.)