Needing healthy meals

Options
taml8807
taml8807 Posts: 14
I need to know what's good to eat! Please let me know good foods & recipes!

Replies

• dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Depends on what type of diet you're going for. Personally, I try to eat real food and I'm trying to eliminate or reduce the processed stuff. If I want it, I allow just about everything in my diet except for fake sweeteners and margarine. I limit desserts and I watch portion sizes. What type of foods are you interested in?
  • samsteve2012
    samsteve2012 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have cut out potatoes, bread, pasta, processed foods, cakes, biscuits, crisps etc, i now eat lots of broccoli, carrots, courgettes, beans, peas, cauliflower, cabbage, salad, chicken, fish, yoghurt, jelly & fruit, it seems to be working for me, so far so good. GOOD LUCK :smile:
  • BreeNJesse
    BreeNJesse Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I cook new recipes every week, some of the nest websites I use are skinnytaste.com and eatinghealthy.com :)
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    My food diary blog - ameliasfooddiary.wordpress.com - might give you some inspiration (sorry for the shameless plug!)

Ax
  • heatherminshull
    Options
    You will hate me for saying but your aim is to keep to palm full sizes. Protein - palm of your hand
    Carbs - same size, veg / greens as much as you want.
    I am working on five smaller meals a day. For me - the simpler the better. E.g breakfast - porridge and fruit, lunch - chicken / tuna salad - 1 slice of bread, snacks piece of fruit with protein (nuts / seeds etc). Yep. Very boring.
    The food doctor books have some good recipes if you need motivation. Good luck!
  • jeslaughter
    jeslaughter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I try to eat what I like mostly, at least items that are lower in calorie and sodium. I have not really removed a lot from my daily diet except processed foods as much as possible. Portion size was always my issue and now that I am eating healthier foods, the portion size does not really seem to come into being an issue. I eat more veggies, more salads and mix the dressing up for a change of taste. I will add sunflower and pumpkin seed to my salads too for a nice crunch...and health benefits. I refuse to eat anything deep fried or fried in oil or butter.
    One of my favorite meals is toasted tuna open face sandwich..
    toast is 12 or 7 grain bread
    mix can of low sodium tuna(water packed) with chopped onions and light Ranch dressing and 1 tsp of mayo
    spread the two pieces of toast with the tuna mix (use it all for the two pieces of bread
    top each slice with a Kraft low fat thin cheese slice (whatever flavor of cheese you desire).
    place it under broiler until cheese is melting and serve it with a nice fresh salad...hummm making myself hungry..ha ha
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    You really can eat anything you want as long as you stay within your calorie goals and any eating restrictions you might have for medical conditions. IMO you will feel better and have better success if you stay away from processed foods and fast food. Buy most of your groceries from the outer perimeter of the store, which is where the most healthy items are typically located.

I've listed some of my favorites below.

Breakfast
    1 c Lowfat plain yogurt with 1/4 c wheat cereal (I use Uncle Sam's Wheat and Flax), a T of walnuts or pecans and 1/2 c berries or
    English muffin egg sandwich - 1 egg, 1 slice cheese, 1 oz ham on toasted English muffin or
    1 c oatmeal (old fashioned or steel cut oats) with berries and almond milk or
    Kashi 7 grain waffle with 1/2 c lowfat plain yogurt and berries or 1/2 banana

Lunch
    Pita pocket w/ 2 T hummus and stuffed with veggies and 1/2 c cottage cheese or
    Veggie burger on whole grain bun w/ lettuce, tomato and mustard or
    Mexican pizza - 6" whole grain tortilla w/ salsa, 3 oz cooked chicken breast, veggies and 2 T shredded part skim mozzarella

Dinner
    4-8 oz (depending on how many calories I have left) Lean protein such as chicken, fish or pork tenderloin and
    As much as you want of Salad or steamed or roasted veggies (go easy on dressings, butter or sauces) and
    1/2 - 1 c Whole grain carb like brown rice, quinoa, whole grain pasta, etc. and

Snacks
    Celery and carrot sticks and hummus or
    Apple and PB2 peanut butter or
    Cottage cheese with walnuts and cinnamon or
    Graham crackers with PB2 peanut butter

If something is not sweet enough for me (plain yogurt), I sweeten with Truvia sweetener. No calories and all natural. Also drink lots of water - at least 8 glasses a day, more if you are working out. For me, working out is key to weight loss. I can eat more when I work out so I never feel deprived. I don't view it as dieting, this is a lifestyle.