Need new motivation!!

Options
Hello! I joined this site over two years ago and I lost almost 65 pounds and I was on my way to losing more! But then surprise! I got pregnant! I gained about 55 of that back. About six months after I had my beautiful little daughter I lost 50 of that, mainly due to the breast feeding. Since then, I have lost another ten, again due to the breast feeding and sheer guilt over eating constantly (I don't know if this is the same for other mothers, but I am starving after she nurses, almost every time!). Even though I have lost the baby weight and then some (I am a size twelve for the first time since high school) , I still feel like my shape is weird and I am not happy with myself at all. I hate sitting down in front of people because it feels like everyone's gaze is drawn to my puffy stomach. But now my problem is I have no motivation...my eight month old daughter still gets up about four to five times a night, especially now that she is teething (my poor baby) and I am utterly exhausted during the day. We are temporarily staying with my husband's family (he just got out of the army and we are on vacation for a month) and my sister in law and mother in law are about a size two and never eat, so to make matters worse I feel gigantic and it is super hard to eat in front of them! So now I am doing myself another disservice by eating junk calories when I can just so I can avoid eating around them. And on top of it all, my husband does not seem attracted to me anymore, (which is slightly unfair, since I weigh about thirty pounds less now than I did when I met him).
I am 5'6" and about 175 pounds or so. I know I need to lose at LEAST another 30. What can I do to keep myself going here??

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Hey, congratulations on your success so far!

Things that have worked for other people:
    Get friends on MFP. Never underestimate the value of support and seeing other people succeed.
    Change goals from results to activities.
    Make a plan to achieve your goals. Try to find happiness in following the plan.
    Find a therapist to talk to about your issues. An impartial ear is a great tool!
    Make sure you are eating enough food. Lack of food leads to irritability, depression, etc.

Things that you might be able to do:
    Ask your mother/sister in laws to help you with the baby.
    Have them watch her while you go get a healthy lunch.
    Walk her to a place to get a healthy lunch (sunshine is awesome).
    I really hate to say this, because I don't think we should allow other people's judgement to affect us, but if you truly feel uncomfortable about your stomach, you might be happier with a compression undergarment that changes your shape. At least as a temporary measure, to help you out of the cycle you're in.
    Aim for a calorie deficit of 250 to 500 calories. No more. Physically play with your daughter as much as you can for exercise.
    Tell your family about your struggles and elicit their help. You might be surprised.