Eat First?

Options
I've never really worried about if I should eat first or work out first... But now that I'm on a diet and working out I was wondering if I should eat first and then work out. That way I'll work off the calories I just took in. I don't really get cramps if I work out after I eat so I'm not worried about that part. I've never really gotten sick either... But there's always a first time... So what's best? Work out and then eat or, eat and then work out?

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    For me it's workout before I even think of eating, even if that means I don't eat till 3pm or whatever. There is no way on earth I can workout with any food in my stomach. I get horrible pains & have to be near a toilet if I do.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    For me it's workout before I even think of eating, even if that means I don't eat till 3pm or whatever. There is no way on earth I can workout with any food in my stomach. I get horrible pains & have to be near a toilet if I do.

Likewise.

OP, do whatever you feel works best for you. Meal timing is largely irrelevant; total calories are important.
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    My favourite time to go to the gym is early evening - that way I can eat a banana before I go to keep me going but then come back and have a proper meal. If you do have a proper meal before it's probably best to wait an hour or so before going to the gym to let it go down. It's personal preference what you do though.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    doesn't matter, whatever makes you feel better / more convenient
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i have a small bowl of cereal or a fruit before i work out since i take metformin in morning and otherwise my bloodsugar drops to low
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Experiment, and find what works best for you. A lot of people workout fasted, and have success with that. I tried it, and it doesn't work for me. When I strength train, I can do so quite soon after a meal, no problem. When I run, I've found that my body's quite temperamental. I found that I run best having eaten quite a lot that day, but I have to leave at least two hours between eating and running.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It's really up to you. I like to workout after breakfast but before lunch.