guidance and support York

Options
Hi Everybody, I'm currently in training for the paralympics for rio in 2016. My fitness aims are to gain weight, I am currently 10st I am hoping to reach 12st in 2 months. I work as a personal trainer and would be more than happy to offer support/ guidance to anyone who feels they need support. I am also looking for people to train with in my local area (York). to help/motivate each other to reach targets. I do a mixture of fitness work outs, some skill based sessions with flexi ladders, Hurdles, long distance running, short sprints, cycling, swimming, Interval training, strength and conditioning workouts. I am not advertising myself as a personal trainer, I would genuinely just like to make some new friends and support people in reaching their fitness goals, if anyone fancies a chat please get in touch, hopefully speak soon thanks Joe x

Replies

• marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi Joe -

I'm not from your area, but maybe you can give me some info that would help me.

I will be 62 in September. I've got a lot of weight to lose. I've been tracking my calories here and have lost some weight - but I don't exercise at all. Problem is I have some physical issues that limit me. I'm fearful of exercise because I don't want to injure myself. And to be honest, I've gotten used to sitting on the couch watching tv.

My issues are heart disease; achilles tendonitis-both legs. I've had casts on both legs, and am fearful of suffering a tear to the tendon(s). I have neuropathy of both legs - both legs are weak and don't move the way they should. Like to get in and out of the car, I have to put a towel or rope under the sole of my left leg and actually lift the leg into the car, and have to do the same thing to get in and out of bed. Walking up stairs I often stumble because my legs don't lift the way they should. Arthritis makes me stiff and it's painful to walk. When I go to the market I have to use a wheelchair because of the pain in my back - it feels like it's going to snap and I'm often in tears. And I have shortness of breath walking from my car into the house. Of course, high blood pressure.

I don't want to make excuses. Other than stretching, what can I do? I thought about using an exercise bike, but could I tear my achilles tendon? How can I walk if I can't catch my breath? I thought about yoga, but can't get up and down from the floor without help. No access to an indoor pool. It does sound like I'm making excuses. I want to do exercises in my home because I'm so overweight I know people would make fun of me. Know that shouldn't bother me, but it does.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your input.