Protein doesn't do it for me - what should I do?

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    this sounds like a classic example of somebody on a 1200 (or lower) calorie diet finally understanding why 1200 (or lower) calories is too low because it's difficult to meet your macros on such a small amount of calories.

nowhere has the OP mentioned her calorie goal and her profile is locked, but i'd wager that's the problem in a nutshell.

if you can't meet your protein macro on your current calorie goal then you can use protein shakes, change your diet, or increase your calories.

... and this is a really helpful response, because ...?

1. If you had read the posts carefully before bringing out the pitchfork, you would have noticed that I have mentioned my calorie goal - which is exactly where it ought to be.
    2. If you don't have anything productive or helpful to say, why say anything at all? Are you bored? There are tons of nice free games on the internet that you can waste your time with, instead of making pointless comments that nobody needs.

It was quite helpful, actually, but your response is quite rude. The poster missed where you posted your 1500 calorie goal but that is all. He is right that you will eventually need to make choices about your diet. You cannot continue to eat a high carb diet and fit in the protein you want. It's that simple.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    this sounds like a classic example of somebody on a 1200 (or lower) calorie diet finally understanding why 1200 (or lower) calories is too low because it's difficult to meet your macros on such a small amount of calories.

nowhere has the OP mentioned her calorie goal and her profile is locked, but i'd wager that's the problem in a nutshell.

if you can't meet your protein macro on your current calorie goal then you can use protein shakes, change your diet, or increase your calories.

she has had no reason to suspect her macros WEREN'T working for her so far, I was the same way,
    and i completely understand. I think not worrying about the fat as much, would work well, plenty of healthy fats out there-
    flax seeds, different kinds of nuts. eggs yes yolk included, sardines and other fatty fish.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFObr7rc1kA

this video is very long winded, i'm trying to remember where they answer the question, how much is really needed.

around 11 mins in they talk about the minimum for someone on maintenance. (1.2g protein per kilogram)

and 13 min in 1.5g/kilo for someone on a deficit, if they are not very low on bf%, just your average person, not highly trained
    body builders and such
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

this video is very long winded, i'm trying to remember where they answer the question, how much is really needed.

around 11 mins in they talk about the minimum for someone on maintenance. (1.2g protein per kilogram)

and 13 min in 1.5g/kilo for someone on a deficit, if they are not very low on bf%, just your average person, not highly trained
    body builders and such

Is that per kg total body weight? (at work, can't get to youtube)
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I have to drink protein shakes to get my goal in, otherwise it's a hopeless struggle.
    I've tried tons of brands and flavors over the past 3 years and so far this company is my favorite. It's really a meal replacement shake, but just as or even better than a protein shake. Has 28 g of protein per serving.

http://chikenutrition.com/index.html
  • katy_trail
    Options

body builders and such

Is that per kg total body weight? (at work, can't get to youtube)

in a lean person or closer to healthy weight, it's body weight.

for someone that is very over weight or obese, protein needs are based on lean body mass.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Guys, thank you so much, there is a ton of useful information for me there to draw from, will check out the vid later on as well!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to make sure I hit my protein goals, or at least get close to it. Today my goal is 151g of protein.

I actually went out and bought turkey jerky that I will try today. 1 oz is 80 cals and 13g of protein. :smile:
    I also usually have 2 protein shakes a day, and a greek yogurt, almost 2 glasses of milk, and sometimes snack on almonds.

I am always over in my carbs though. But I am working on upping my protein, and once I get the hang of that, then I will start working on lowering my carb intake.

It takes time, so don't try and change everything all at once. Start with small changes that you can manage and that way you won't relapse into high carbs/low protein again.

As for protein shakes, my favorite is the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Double Rich Chocolate. I won't drink it if it doesn't taste good, and this one tastes pretty yummy and I only mix it with water. A 5 lb container is about $50.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Learn to enjoy the protein supplements on the market. We quit buying bread, pasta, crqckers, etc-and had the money for the supplements.

i get 1.5-2g per lb of weight pretty efficiently, and my progress has been more dramatic since i added it.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    I agree, my progress has been much better with the extra protein.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options

1. If you had read the posts carefully before bringing out the pitchfork, you would have noticed that I have mentioned my calorie goal - which is exactly where it ought to be.
    2. If you don't have anything productive or helpful to say, why say anything at all? Are you bored? There are tons of nice free games on the internet that you can waste your time with, instead of making pointless comments that nobody needs.

It was quite helpful, actually, but your response is quite rude. The poster missed where you posted your 1500 calorie goal but that is all. He is right that you will eventually need to make choices about your diet. You cannot continue to eat a high carb diet and fit in the protein you want. It's that simple.

I appreciate all the great suggestions made in this post and they will certainly help me figure out how to lose the last couple of pounds and eat healthily. Making assumptions without knowing anything about me is not helpful. Simply telling me to change my diet is not helpful. There is no need for that.
  • ScottysSpeedShop
    ScottysSpeedShop Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting to this point of your fitness goal. That's awesome! This last part is the part I find to be the most interesting. Enjoy the journey.
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, women can get toned, cut, and gain a moderate amount of muscle without eating 100 grams of protein a day. At 36 (female), I did it on oatmeal, tons of veggies, and 1 chicken breast a day while lifting weights and doing cardio 3-4 times a week. I even ate brown sugar with my oats and full fat ranch dressing on my salads! Going to extremes (i.e. cutting carbs completely or inhaling insane amounts of protein) isn't always necessary, what is necessary is consistency over time. :)

100g of protein is not an insane amount, it's a minimum guideline backed up by studies, which say it's needed to prevent muscle loss as the person is cutting. Some muscle will be lost, but if we can minimize it, we should. It's much easier to keep muscle, than build it.

My point being...100 g of protein a day is not necessary for a woman to get toned. Been there without it. You?
  • katy_trail
    Options
    i was there without it too, but this time around i look 15lbs lighter than i actually am. I've lost a ton of inches for such a short period of time. Why would anyone want to lose muscle?

I assumed nothing, and said I understood the OP's point of view.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

I appreciate all the great suggestions made in this post and they will certainly help me figure out how to lose the last couple of pounds and eat healthily. Making assumptions without knowing anything about me is not helpful. Simply telling me to change my diet is not helpful. There is no need for that.

honestly, responses like yours are the reason i wonder why i even bother to try and help. i wasn't rude with my initial response. i am tired of people on this site accusing everyone of being rude or mean or both when they get a response that isn't sugar-coated. i'm not a mind reader. your profile was LOCKED. it was nowhere in your OP that you were on 1500 calories. i'm not going to do more than that trying to figure out that key piece of information. what i wrote is correct. not only for you but for anyone else in a similar situation... first consider adding protein supplements, then considering drastic changes to your diet, finally looking and seeing if your calorie goal is too low. instead of being on the defensive and looking for reasons to be offended, why not just consider that the information may be useful and that the person who wrote it (who has no history with you whatsoever) isn't actually being "rude" or "mean", just direct and to the point?

here's another bit of information. 1g of fat = 9 calories. 1g of carbs = 1g of protein = 4 calories. use this information to really figure out exactly why you aren't meeting your macros and what minimal changes you need to make to get your macros back in line. in your case, it really is just a matter of swapping just enough carb calories for protein calories.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    The OP is having Eggs and Milk for lunch? Uhhhhh.... what?

No vegetables? Those are your carbs, eat em. You want tone nothing if you don't eat properly. You'll just be skinny fat, and that's fine, but you won't be a hardbody.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    OP, try Nancy's Organic Nonfat Probiotic Greek Yogurt. It's 120 cals for 22g of protein and 0g of fat! I LOVE it! I can easily eat the whole tub, which is 88g of protein. I'm a little addicted, lol!

http://nancysyogurt.com/index.php/probiotic-greek/nonfat-organic-probiotic-greek
  • Vini9
    Vini9 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Some good things I have found to help me bump up protein is hard boiled eggs, kashi cereal, string cheese, shredded cheese, fage yogurt (which is Greek yogurt) quest protein bars (low carb high protein) nuts, higher protein pasta ( like smart taste) cottage cheese, turkey jerky, and portable packs of tuna with crackers or something similar. I think they make chicken packs too. My grocery store sells a granola bae naked, it has double the protein in it and you can use it for cereal in the morning or on top of your yogurt. I hope this helps they are just something's I have used and I know I have more but just can't think right now. Good luck to you.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    if money is the issue, as she said, she's better off making her own protein bars. i can give many suggestions on increasing protein, but they are already in the list in my previous posts.