Struggling with self-image....

Options
2»

Replies

• SamDanielleB
    Options
    I know it sounds ridiculous, but I tend to struggle with self-image too... always have. I've never been overweight (I'm only 20,5'2", 130 lbs... heaviest was probably 135), but since I've always been a little softer/rounder/less skinny than my classmates, and never was good enough for myself, I've never been confident and comfortable with my body. I've decided that for this summer my quest is to defeat these inner demons and find my self-confidence, because I don't need to look like them, and I'm not supposed to look like them. I want to believe my fiance when he tells me I'm the most beautiful woman in the world, instead of immediately looking for reasons to doubt him. I want to know I'm exercising and eating right for my health and longevity, not to obtain that "sexy" ideal that my self-image has been poisoned with. I want to confront every image, every person I've been jealous of and KNOW that they are not better than me, that we are all equals with different types of beauty, and they do not define the term "beautiful". I define my own beautiful.

At least, I'd like to think all these things. I've got a long way to go.
  • CantStopWontStop92
    CantStopWontStop92 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It really is a mental thing. And I know a number of people touched on this, but it isn't a matter of reaching X weight. You're always going to want to lose a little less, tone a little more. I won't lie, I'm very fortunate to be happy with my weight. But there are still things I'd do anything to change about myself. I wish I were chestier, tan, had better skin, higher cheekbones, blahblahblah the list goes on. The realization I finally came to is sure, change what you can, but don't do it at the expense of your happiness. Beyond that, you have to find what you like about yourself! Own your body, flaws and all:) The funny thing is once I stopped obsessing over my body, I was being asked out on a lot more dates and receiving a lot more compliments. Confidence, not a size 0 body, is the most attractive thing anyone can have.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, but it gets better. Some days I look at myself and just see a huge fat land whale but now my image of myself is getting closer to what others see. It takes time.
  • Lillyloooo
    Lillyloooo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I struggle too !