Cheaper alternative to BodyBugg?

Options
I've thought about getting a BodyBugg for a long time but haven't due to the $$. I think I really need something like that though that will calculate how many calories I actually am burning a day. I have a desk/computer/office job but I get up and walk around the office a decent amount most days. I'm also a mom of 2 (7 & 4) and I feel like I'm going non-stop from the time I get home just doing normal daily activities (fixing supper, getting things ready for the next day, fixing lunches, giving baths, light housekeeping, etc.) I don't feel like anything I'm doing is burning a lot of calories and usually set my activity levels at sedentary or light activity. The last 3 days though I've eaten more than my low end calorie goal (1276, goal to lose 2lbs/wk) 1340 one day and over 1700 the other 2 days (but not over my 1776 high end goal to lose 1lb/wk) but I've been starving, stomach literally growling! I drank 8 glasses of water on Wed, only 5 yesterday but I've had over 10 today. At the beginning of the week (Sun-Tues) I ate around my low calorie goal (1276) and didn't drink near as much water and in those 3 days I lost 1.8 lbs. This morning I was back up 1.6 (I know it could just be fluctuating) but I wasn't hungry. I don't get it, obviously I'm eating more because I am hungry but I'm still hungry and not mental hungry, I'm not craving anything, my stomach is just growling. It all seems so backwards so I'm wondering if I'm possibly burning more calories than I think???

So back to my original question, does anyone know of a cheaper device than the BodyBugg that will tell me how many calories I'm actually burning?

I'm hoping the weight thing is just a fluctuation and I'll be back down this weekend. It's really frustrating feeling like I should be eating less calories to lose the weight (like I was at the beginning of the week) but knowing that I'm starving when I'm eating 500 calories more!

Replies

• DanielMiller
    Options
    your weight will fluctuate daily , however keep in mind that it takes 3500 calories burned or conserved to burn off 1 lb of fat. . In theory at the end of a full week just on diet management alone ( if you maintained your limits) you should lose 2 lbs a week. If you are are active ...those calories will be burned off as well , leading to more weight loss in a given week,
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Not sure who makes it, but there are heart rate monitors out there with pedometers to count steps. With counting steps, maybe that could be considered walking? Some other folks on here have talked about the FitBit (not sure if that is the correct name, but it's something like that). It is essentially the same as a BodyBugg, just smaller and less expensive. I guess it all comes down to just exactly what you want your device to do as to which one is right for you. I have a Polar F6 that I wear for my swimming workouts and occasionally wear for gardening.
  • sroseber
    sroseber Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I remember hearing or reading about the FitBit thing somewhere, forgot all about it though and what it was called. Thanks for the reminder, I'll have to look into that. I thought I'd seen some people on here talking about heart rate monitors that did something similar but not sure if maybe I misunderstood what they did.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    fitbit is like the bugg but smaller and cheaper. their website says they are better. i keep consiering it.
  • hawaiibound
    hawaiibound Posts: 158
    Options
    where would i buy a fitbit?
  • ropsnik
    ropsnik Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My trainer tried to sell me a body bugg at 24 hr fitness. It counts calories but it does not have a heart rate monitor. I have a Polar HRM and use this as my tool to track my calories, avg heart rate, Max heart rate, time in zone during my workouts at the gym or while playing golf. I have been using it for 6 mos and I am very pleased with its performance vs what the cardio equipment reads at the gym. Best regards!
  • rjadams
    Options
    for fitbit look on line. I saw them on their website for 99 bucks.
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    So glad I checked in today. I have been thinking the same thing about the bodybugg. Kind of expensive, and quite frankly I don't want to weart that thing around my arm all the time. I checked on line for the fitbit, and I am gonna try it. Looks like its $99 like someone else mentioned, and you can wear the thing in your pocked. It is backordered until mid june! Also I do have the polar 4 heart rate monitor, which I really like, but keep wondering about the all day calorie burn!:wink:
  • rjadams
    Options
    I have also heard people clip the fit bit to their bras since they are so slim. I want to get one when I get some extra money.
  • ThumperWabbt
    ThumperWabbt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The GoFit is the same thing as the Body Bugg, but a bit cheaper, and they come with 6 months subscription...Amazon has them.
  • sroseber
    sroseber Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've looked into the GoWearFit or the GoFit or whatever it is called because it does seem to be the same as the BodyBugg and cheaper but still more than I have to spend right now. I do recall the FitBits only being $99 as has already been mentioned but sucks that they are backordered. So there are heart rate monitors that will track all day calorie burn too? Can anyone give me a specific model? Does anyone know if the FItBit has a subscription like the GoWearFit and the BodyBugg? Guess I can just check the website.