From UK.....new member feeling like a frump!!

Options
13»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
  • Nikoah
    Nikoah Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Up the north east myself :) Feel free to add for help/advice.

Are you tracking everything? Im sorry but I cant believe you are doing the Jillian Michaels DVD and only consuming 1200kcal a day and not loosing anything at all for 2 weeks? Are you sure your putting in fizzy drinks? Juice? Every single thing that consumes through your lips must be accounted for.

Lets see if we can help you feel more comfortable for your holiday!

Thanks Sawjer, i am very thorough with everything that goes into MFP, including ketchup....butter...oil everything, i don't snack too much during the week and i only drink water, don't like fizzy drinks so that can't be it. I only started Jillian Michael about a week ago, maybe i am being impatient?!

Also, i decided t start the 5:2 fast diet and started with a fast day yesterday.....i haven't done 30DS yesterday as it recommends that you don't exercise on fasting days....... I guess I am just a little lost with all this lol.

Thanks

I will be honest, I did not read all the other posts, so this may have already been answered. I have started, and due to illness stopped Jillian Michaels's dvds several times, and for the first 2 weeks after I start them the swelling in my muscles actually puts on about a lb. So that could be it. Also, I agree with the one who wrote about the calories being off. I have mine set at 1416. Check a BMR calculator online and eat 500-1000 cal less than that a day, and log your work outs so that it evens out. I also use a pedometer to log my calories through exercise so that I don't under or over eat. I don't loose if I don't eat my minimum. I am at 500 cal deficit ONLY. Any more and I don't loose. Things to consider. Also, if you need more friends, feel free to add me.

Nikoah
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Add me! :) Herts!
  • markdavies120
    markdavies120 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Best advice i can give from my personal experiences is not to measure every week, rather 2 or even 3 weeks between. If your exercising regular and doing more toning you will see the differences. weighing is ok but in your instance you may be seeing no loss due to the toning? However you will become down and likely to give in if you go off what the scales say alone.

Aim for smaller potions and eat more often. Do not have too much of anything and try to mix it up.

I'm like you in that i just love crisps. i will have a bag most days still but only something with few calories like wotsits or quavers. It gets rid of that needed fix and i am starting to gradually move away from wanting them daily.

dont deprive yourself either. worse thing you can do is not to treat yourself every now and again. Just try not to go stupid. I perform my weight and measurements on a friday morning. This way i then have a couple of days over weekend to relax my intake and if i have had a loss at weigh in or on my measurement i will have a takeaway, by Sunday getting back in to the routine.

Good luck and keep at it!
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I live in Scotland and have been a mfp member since last August. I realise you are now doing the 5:2 plan but previous to that, why were your calories set so low? I have always gone by the calories mfp gives me, and eat back my exercise calories, and it works for me! Different methods work for different people, but in my opinion, you probably didn't lose weight initially because you weren't eating enough. If I eat too far below my target, my weight refuses to budge on the scale and I have a lot more to lose than you!

Just a suggestion. Hope you find something that works!
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hi!

here are some tips for along the way:

1. keep the same regime (be it amount of calories or type of excercise) for a period of 4-6 weeks before changing it. Sometimes our bodies just need to get over the initial shock.

2.- particularly for a beginner - get a food scale and weigh EVERYTHING. you'll hate it at first (I know I did), because you'll see that very often the portions on the scale look so very tiny for the amount of calories that are in them... But as time goes on you'll see that you'll have a better grasp of the quantities-for-calories; and you'll be less likely to over-indulge (on salted nuts, for instance) when you're out having fun

3. tied to #2: log EVERYTHING (I think you're pretty good with this already, logging 6 g of butter, lol) Sometimes we consume calories we don't mean to. Often in drinks, such as sugar or milk in coffee. it's a little bit but it does add up. Make sure to always log the alcohol intake as well. it's way more cals than most people think... (it's called a "beer belly" for a reason, apparently)

4. because of #2 and #3 you'll probably see that your favourite foods are calorie-rich. This does not mean that you have to give them up. You can substitute something else that you're lukewarm on: for instance, I completely switched out potatoes from my daily intake. Instead I'll have an extra large portion of green beans or broccoli or some other veggie that is just as filling but has a lot less calories. This way I can still enjoy that tiramisu for dessert ;)

5. trick for crisps, as that's my weakest point as well: measure out your 30g portion before eating it. Put the bag away; so that you'll have to walk to it again if you want more. This helps you to feel like you've had your treat AND you've been responsible about it.
  • slw87
    slw87 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm from the uk too. I've had Mfp a while now but never really taken it seriously.
    So I'm back on it with good intentions and would like some friends for support :)
  • saleh1988
    saleh1988 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    any new memper is welcome to MFP , we need alot of motvaiton guys