Would you eat more or less?

Options
BarbieAS
BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
I'm going to attempt to make this short and sweet but I doubt it will work :wink: .

First, stats. 5'6", CW 209lbs and 43% BF, 32 year old female. GW 150lbs or about 25-27% BF (this will be flexible but in that general area). I've had my RMR tested and while I don't remember the exact number, I was told it was "above average," and I have no thyroid or other medical issues.

I've been at this for almost a year, but on and off in that time, and I've struggled quite a bit. I've really been focused for the last 8 weeks, so I have 8 weeks of good data.

During that time I've eaten an average of 1489 calories per day, ranging anywhere from 840 to 2160 (the extremes are rare, most days are between 1400 and 1600). I make probably 85% of my meals at home (occasional restaurant meals are a necessary evil of my life) and weigh/measure everything I possibly can, and I feel good about my logging accuracy overall. Macros are set at 25% carbs/25% protein/50% fats (I'm not shooting for low carb or ketosis or anything, though I did try that briefly; a lower carb goal just helps me keep mindless snacking in check) and meet those pretty well for the most part. I drink plenty of water.

I've also burned an average of 2497 calories per day per my Fitbit. I work out 5 times per week (occasionally I miss one), lifting "heavy" to the best of my ability using resistance machines (working my way up to free weights but joint issues require that I have professional help starting out, so I'm saving up $ for that) and then mostly treadmill walking or elliptical as a bit of cardio, plus one high-calorie burn cardio class per week.

So, that puts me at an average daily deficit of 1008 calories. One would assume that in 8 weeks I would have lost about 16lbs, but I've only lost 9, so just barely over half of what I'd expect, even including beginners' water weight losses. With 60-70lbs to lose, over 40% BF, and just starting out I feel like my body should be able to handle a larger deficit (I had/have every intention of decreasing my deficit as I go), so 2lbs/week felt appropriate for now. Based on what I've actually lost, you could assume that my TDEE is not 2497 as calculated by my Fitbit but actually 2230 and I should decrease my calorie intake even further to 1250 or so. OR, you could assume that since I'm eating at about calculated TDEE -40% that I'm not eating enough and I should up my goal to 1750-1850 or so.

It's obvious I need to make a change. I'm willing/planning to give whatever approach I pick at least 4-6 weeks to really see the results. Which direction would you go first? (I think I know the answer I'm going to get, I just need a little validation.)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    there is no reason to be eating at TDEE -40%! eat more!
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    How about you eat 1g/ pound of body weight in protein or so, and 100g fat each day, and fill in the rest with carbohydrates to meet a calorie goal of TDEE-20%. You are exercising yourself into the ground if you don't eat enough to fuel your activity and your body's normal processes. Losing 2 pounds per week at the point you are at might not be realistic for you, but 1 pound is. shoot for that, and be happy when you are successful. Any progress, no matter how small, is still progress. I think your exercise lever isn't all that ridiculous, you just need to eat more.
  • master_chief88
    Options
    with the amount of exercise your doing and the calorie deficit, your body will cling onto everything it can, scales are not the best way to go, use a tape measure in conjunction with scales, I would say more carbs and protein and less fat, whey protein powder is a good way to get it into your diet, without the hassle.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    How about you eat 1g/ pound of body weight in protein or so, and 100g fat each day, and fill in the rest with carbohydrates to meet a calorie goal of TDEE-20%. You are exercising yourself into the ground if you don't eat enough to fuel your activity and your body's normal processes. Losing 2 pounds per week at the point you are at might not be realistic for you, but 1 pound is. shoot for that, and be happy when you are successful. Any progress, no matter how small, is still progress. I think your exercise lever isn't all that ridiculous, you just need to eat more.

Do you mean 1g/lb of LBM or total weight? My LBM is around 120lbs (give or take a little), and my protein intake is usually in the neighborhood of 90-100g/day, so I'm already close to that, but 200+ grams of protein per day seems unattainable for me...
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 3", 134 lbs and eat around 1500 Cals on average. I walk 30min a day and lift once a week. I'm losing 1 lb a week, which is a lot considering that I'm relatively close to goal weight.

Given your height & weight & activity level, I would definitely eat more.
  • divemunkey
    Options
    LBM should be fine for a minimum. I weigh about 193, with LBM of 124. I try to hit 150g protein a day.
  • divemunkey
    Options
    Also, My diary is open if you need some ideas. I am also 5'6".