QUIET snacks

Options
2»

Replies

• dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Wish my cubicle co-workers were even half as concerned about this as you are...

Ditto..
  • Hoosier96
    Hoosier96 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Are nuts really that loud? I snack on cashews daily but only bring about 20 cashews in so I eat them fast.

That's what I was thinking, but I eat roasted almonds. OP, do you tend to chew with your mouth open? That exacerbates chewing noises so close it if you do.
    No, haha!! Maybe it just sounds louder to me than it is (glass office and the fishbowl effect). All I know is when anyone else snacks, it drives me crazy. I can only assume I do the same to them.
  • Hoosier96
    Hoosier96 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    loud chewing and slurping is my #1 pet peeve. it is revolting to me. I wouldn't do well in Japan.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    OMG I thought maybe my husband posted this.... he is ALWAYS getting onto me about "crunching" as If I can help the fact that carrots are crunchy?

Some fruit is nice and soft like bananas.... and orange (if you peal it instead of slicing it - cause then you'll have some slurping). Raisins.... soft nuts like cashews.... peaches... baked apples.... a sandwich....
  • sweetpea03b
    Options
    People really complain about crunchy snacks, really? Over sensitive people

DAILY. I have been married to my husband for 5 years... 4.5 of those years I have had to endure the stink eye and constant lectures about "crunching". And we're not talking like i'm eating with my mouth half open imitating a cow chewing cud. Carrots... apples... popcorn... it all crunches naturally when you eat it. I have literally had to eat outside so my husband would STHU about it.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Are nuts really that loud? I snack on cashews daily but only bring about 20 cashews in so I eat them fast.

That's what I was thinking, but I eat roasted almonds. OP, do you tend to chew with your mouth open? That exacerbates chewing noises so close it if you do.
    No, haha!! Maybe it just sounds louder to me than it is (glass office and the fishbowl effect). All I know is when anyone else snacks, it drives me crazy. I can only assume I do the same to them.

I must say, that is very considerate of you. If others were snacking loudly, then I'd probably crunch away with them! I had someone years ago in a library tell me that I was eating an apple too loudly. It hasn't stopped me from bringing apples (I'm a writer, so I still do work in the library) and eating them as loudly as I want. Clearly you're more considerate than I am! :)
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Sweet:

Raisins
    Sounds weird but...candied flowers..if you can find them...quite interestingly fun to eat.
    Candied Ginger
    Dried Apple slices
    Dried Banana slices

Savory:

Dried and salted coconut slices...chewy and delicious
    Nori sheets...they are..crinkly but not loud
    Spicy "chips" made with chickpea flour and mixed spices...then baked...they crunch just one time when you bite ..then they are soft:tongue:
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    What about carrot chips. Not as thick so not as loud. I totally don't get what you are so worried about do others in the office worry when they smack on chips? At least yours is a healthy crunch, and not a mindless snack. Try nitrate-free lunch meat slices. Salad with dark greens. I love the one guys chicken idea, and I do something similar. I try to have 2oz. of protein, as much veggies I want, and in the afternoon since I workout after work I include a carb. I work in a tiny office, and no of us worry about sound....now smells thats another story....lol. Try a stuffed portabella mushroom cap. Zuchinni boat stuffed with rice and tomato, basil. Sprinkle a little parm if you want (i know you said you are avoiding cheese, or is it dairy you are avoiding?) Avocado half shell stuffed with avocado chicken salad...yum! Half tomato scooped out and filled with tuna salad (made with avocado instead of mayo, or Follow your heart veganaise {my kids love this better than mayo}) topped with watercress. Nitrate-free smoked salmon on cucumber rounds, sprinkle with fresh dill.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Chicken. Seriously. I know nomming on chicken as a snack sounds nuts. Follow me here:

Grill several boneless chicken breasts (season how you like) and cut them in to bite-sized pieces. Divide each chicken breast into 2 (two) portions and put it in a zip-lock. Now you have a 2-3oz(ish) high protein snack that doesn't sound like a rock crusher.

LOVE THIS!!!!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    How is grapes not mentioned??? Love love grapes mmmmmmmm
  • Jplante312
    Jplante312 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Edamame! I'm eating at work now lol :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

DAILY. I have been married to my husband for 5 years... 4.5 of those years I have had to endure the stink eye and constant lectures about "crunching". And we're not talking like i'm eating with my mouth half open imitating a cow chewing cud. Carrots... apples... popcorn... it all crunches naturally when you eat it. I have literally had to eat outside so my husband would STHU about it.

Does it bother him when he eats crunchy food or is it only when other's do it? You're nice for going outside to eat I'd probably look at my BF after getting a lecture and crunch away. How does he handle eating in social situations?
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    avocado, corn tortilla (sm) and deli chicken, soup (I eat this ALL THE TIME in conf. calls and no one has been revolted to my knowledge), protein shakes, Trader Joe's coconut flakes, slice of raisin bread with almond butter, hard boiled egg.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    cucumber sticks
    hummus
    toast
    sliced bell pepper
    berries
    cantaloupe
    watermelon
    applesauce
    couscous
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    OP, I wish you were my cubicle neighbor! I also can't stand the chomping, crunching, and slurping that goes on in the office. It's repulsive to me.

I bring instant oatmeal packets for my quiet snack.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, sunflower kernels, matchstick sized carrots, grapes, bite sized crackers.
  • sweetpea03b
    Options

Does it bother him when he eats crunchy food or is it only when other's do it? You're nice for going outside to eat I'd probably look at my BF after getting a lecture and crunch away. How does he handle eating in social situations?

Oh no... just when I do. I bring this up that he crunches equally loudly but I don't get all bent out of shape about it. Now, if i'm crunching he grabs a handful of popcorn/chips/whatever and purposely crunches as loud as he possibly can and I just ignore him because he's the one with the wacko pet peeve. Nope, just when I do it.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I would do a banana with reduced calorie peanut butter for a snack. You also have turkey links, hard boiled eggs, pouches of tuna, etc etc Remember, your body has to burn through sugar to get to fat. I know sugar is broken down differently in fruit; however, nonetheless, it is a content of sugar. I recommend most women avoid fruit after around 2pm.

That's ridiculous. Avoid fruit after 2pm? Maybe avoid caffeine after 2pm, but fruit? Oh, and only women? Men can have all the strawberries and bananas they want at 4pm, but those women need to curb their fruit intake midday. Poo on that.