TDEE daily cal vs. MFP daily cal

Options
Hello, everyone. I calculated my TDEE yesterday, which is 1860 calories/day. My goal is to lose more weight so I subtracted 25%, which left me at 1395 calories/day. MFP has me at 1240 calories/day. Which should I follow? Should I be eating more to lose weight? I've been following the MFP calories and losing ounces/week.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    How long have you been following MFP and what lb/week goal do you have MFP set at?

I would suggest going with the TDEE goal. I know A LOT of people think the lower their calorie goal, the faster they'll lose, but then get discouraged and up their calories and start dropping. I used to have my goals set at 2 lbs/week (I have a lot to lose), but it was barely coming off, and I switched it to 1.5, and am losing now because my calories have been increased. I'd even recommend going with TDEE -20%, rather than the 25% you calculated.
  • kimmid70
    kimmid70 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should be eating your TDEE calories. I too wasn't sure b/c my TDEE is 1980 and MFP had me eating 1200/day to lose 2 lbs. a week. I was STARVING. Then I read about TDEE, so I'm now eating 1500, which is still a little less than 25% of my TDEE. But I'm doing much better and lost 2 lbs. last week, and I didn't exercise as much as I wanted to. Hope this helps!
  • MrsDangerousCurves
    MrsDangerousCurves Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    @Crista_b - I've been following MFP for about 2 months now. I have MFP set for 1 lbs/week. Thanks for your response!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You should eat our TDEE -20% for sustainable weight loss with more than 50 pounds to lose. If you have 15-50 pounds to lose, then you should eat TDEE-15%; less than 15 pounds, then TDEE-10%. (My opinion)