Fitbit Flex, Nike Fuel Band, Jawbone Up

Options
Has anyone incorporated one of these devices into their exercise program? I'd be very interested to know how it has worked, whether you felt it has helped you towards your goal and whether it was worth the money. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit - just saw this link on another thread:

http://www.getgrok.com/2013/01/a-comparative-review-28-days-with-the-fitbit-one-jawbone-up-nike-fuelband-and-bodymedia-link/

A great comparative review.
  • CUScka
    CUScka Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of purchasing one of these...but also wondered if it is worth it? People who use this...does it improve your results? Would love to hear your thoughts/experiences!
  • CUScka
    CUScka Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you Shannon! This article was great! Going to purchase FitBit today :)
  • michele2377
    michele2377 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in what others have to say about these as well! Just read the article Shannon posted - great comparison but doesn't really talk about the FitBit Flex. I think I'd rather have a wrist band on vs something I'd have to carry. So I'm undecided between the Up and the Flex. UGGHHHH
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in what others have to say about these as well! Just read the article Shannon posted - great comparison but doesn't really talk about the FitBit Flex. I think I'd rather have a wrist band on vs something I'd have to carry. So I'm undecided between the Up and the Flex. UGGHHHH

For me personally, I'd hate a wristband. I'd hate always having to wear it, it being obvious, people asking about it. With the Fitbit, I clip it to my pants or my bra. It's 100% hidden unless I pull it out to check my steps. I also hated the bodybugg. It showed up even under short sleeves and I'd never wear it with a tank top.

The article I posted did suggest that the author believes that the wristbands underestimate steps if you're carrying shopping bags, have your hand in your pocket, or otherwise carry yourself in a way that isn't regular, swing-armed walking.
  • sblivess
    sblivess Posts: 3
    Options
    Shannon -

Great article. Thanks. Have you found wearing the Fitbit has helped your progress?
  • niightwindz
    niightwindz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I use the FitBit and I absolutely love it. I would recommend it. :)
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I've had the Fitbit Ultra, One and Flex. I've loved them all. I find the Flex very comparable in steps to the Ultra and the One. I went for a hike last weekend and realized I was carrying my water bottle hugged up against my body using the wrist with the Flex on it, but my step count at the end was right (it's a trail I walk often). I like the convenience of not having to take the Flex off, but if you're not comfortable having something visible all the time, I'd highly recommend the One.
  • MMFernaays
    MMFernaays Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased the Fit bit One. I thought I wanted the Flex or Up, but when I thought about the times that I would want to still see results, but didn't necessary want an "Athletic" looking bracelet on, I decided to got with the One. This clips to your bra as well as your pants, so it's very versatile. I've only had the device for about two weeks, but I really like it so far. I am competitive by nature, so having this device makes me strive to do better then I did the day before.

Good Luck with your decision!!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    As far as whether they work - like most things it depends on you. If you put it on every day and actually use it to meet certain goals, it will help you.
  • blove_925
    blove_925 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Love my jawbone up! Like the sleep tracker and always having it on is a benefit for me. I would not remember to use a non-bracelet. I think the fitbit flex may be a little more user friendly. It didnt exist when I purchased the up.
  • thetiniestgirl
    Options
    I love gadgets. I ordered the Flex after lots and lots of research online. I can't wait until it arrives.

I'm the type of person that had a Polar heart rate monitor and a pedometer at the same time and it motivated me to see numbers and pretty graphs.

Regarding people that notice - it's usually a "cool- a fitness friend." I do this for me, though, not anyone else. :)
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have a Nike Fuel Band and I love it. It's very discrete ( I have the all black one) no bigger than a watch. I like it because it gives me mini goals. You set a Fuel goal and work towards it. Then you increase it to get better. I also challenge myself to 10,000 steps a day using it. I see it as just another tool to push yourself. I love my Fuel Band!
  • michele2377
    Options
    Do either of these come with extras? (chargers, etc) Or are they all sold seperately?
  • findsara
    findsara Posts: 2
    Options
    I have been using a nike fuel band for a few months now. It has definitely encouraged me to get off my butt on the days that I don't exercise. I hate the thought of a little piece of plastic telling me that I didn't meet my goal so it has been working. It's a little spendy but I feel like anything that actually motivates you is worth it. The tracking info on the nike site is pretty interesting too. The biggest drawback in my opinion is that if you are not a runner or a walker, you often don't get credit for activities like bicycling that don't involve lots of arm movement since that is where the accelerometer is. But I'm a runner so it works for me.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Do either of these come with extras? (chargers, etc) Or are they all sold seperately?

Flex comes with its charger.
  • michele2377
    Options
    Thanks Shadow.

It seems like the fitbit flex is pretty hard to come buy unless you want to pay almost double on ebay. :(
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Thanks Shadow.

It seems like the fitbit flex is pretty hard to come buy unless you want to pay almost double on ebay. :(

You could buy it from the website directly. If you decide flex is the one you want:
    http://www.fitbit.com/store
    It does look like the item is backordered though and will ship within 6-10 weeks (depending on color).
  • shellyb17
    shellyb17 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I got a Flex at my local Target today. I had to ask a sales rep to get one from the back room for me. Also used my Target red card....saved myself 5%. :)
  • niightwindz
    niightwindz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks Shadow.

FitBit One, and my old FitBit Ultra, both came with the chargers. I didn't have to buy anything extra.
    Shipping time is delayed on the Flex I believe because its on backorder, but my One was here in less than a week, and the shipping was to Canada from the USA for it so I was happy with how quick it arrived.