Does anyone have one of those ceramic non stick frying pans?

Options
They advertise them on the TV shopping channels over here, I assume they're everywhere though.

Anyone have one? Are they really as good as the advertisment makes them seem?

Seems like they would be really good for cutting down on cooking fats, and I am having a killer of a time making healthy pancakes....every recipe I have tried just sticks and burns and I've never had a problem with regular ones. Thought it might be a good option.

Opinions?

Replies

• lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I am not sure which pans you are talking about. However, I have a Tefal non-stck frying pan. I have always used the Tefal ones and they are fantastic as you do not need to use any fat whatsoever when you are frying food.
  • willafan
    willafan Posts: 101
    Options
    They advertise them on the TV shopping channels over here, I assume they're everywhere though.

Anyone have one? Are they really as good as the advertisment makes them seem?

Seems like they would be really good for cutting down on cooking fats, and I am having a killer of a time making healthy pancakes....every recipe I have tried just sticks and burns and I've never had a problem with regular ones. Thought it might be a good option.

Opinions?
    i just bought one-- the brand escapes me. Have cooked one thing in it (Fish) and it worked GREAT. No difference between the TFal (bad chemcials) and the ceramic one.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have these granite pans I know that sounds weird but my dad ordered them for me and they are fantastic nothing sticks to them and they wipe clean when washing with no scrubbing.
  • fmgifford
    fmgifford Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I received one for Christmas and I love it! Nothing sticks to it. Easy to clean.
  • Brandilynnrose
    Options
    I don't have one, but a relative did. She loved it initially (for a month or 2)...but then everything started sticking in it. It didn't last very long.
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I bought the GreenLife pans from Walmart a few years back and they still work just as good as the day I bought them. They cost about 35-40 bucks for two, but well worth it! Mine are used DAILY.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    i have a earthchef pan, it works lovely. bought it to replace my teflon pan. I still add oil when needed but i have had it for over 2 years and havnt scratched it up yet.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I don't have one, but a relative did. She loved it initially (for a month or 2)...but then everything started sticking in it. It didn't last very long.

Did she put it in the dishwasher or scratch it with metal utensils?

That ruins the pan.
  • Brandilynnrose
    Options

Did she put it in the dishwasher or scratch it with metal utensils?

That ruins the pan.

I'm not sure about the scratching, but I know she doesn't have a dishwasher...she was complaining about it the last time I was at her house because I saw one and asked if she liked it. I personally would like to try one myself. I think I might look into the GreenLife pans another poster mentioned having, since she said that she's had them for years without issues.
  • cweyland
    cweyland Posts: 2
    Options
    i have the Orgreenic skillet and it works awesome. No need for oil, do not even need to spray with Pam unless you want to. They clean up great. I love mine and will be getting a larger one.
  • cweyland
    cweyland Posts: 2
    Options
    They need to be cured properly before the first use...also should not be put in the dishwasher...but they clean so easy there is no need to dishwasher them.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just use a little bit fat.

My best non-stick pan is a actually stainless steel pan, because it stays smooth no matter what. All "non-stick" pans eventually lose their coating and become much worse than bare metal.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,293 Member
    Options
    I do and its great. The best thing about it is the even heat and how it does not burn stuff - it takes time to heat up the food. I love it.
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have 2 of them -I use Greenpan and when I fry eggs, it is still stick. Not sure why. :\
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I have PureLife+ from Walmart and LOVE them! Nothing sticks. My tamagoyaki literally folds in on it's self when I'm moving it around the pan lol. I bought the 99$ set so I don't know if that makes a difference, but they also carry a $45 set =).

Edit: I've had them for about 6 months, hand wash them, don't use oil, and never use metal in them =). Good as the day I bought them. They also cook at a lower heat =).
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    Yes, I have a 12" ceramic skillet. You have to "season" it just like a cast iron skillet. And it works awesome. I use it almost daily. Just follow the directions it comes with for care, and remember to season it every 6mo or so.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I use well seasoned cast iron for almost everything. Easy clean up and non stick. If I'm going to cook something that's notorious for sticking, I put a little oil on a paper towel and wipe the pan with it before cooing but most stuff I just put right in the pan with no oil.
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I also have one, but being at work I can't tell you the brand. It works great, the only time it see anything other than a piece of kitchen towel to clean it is if I have cooked anything with a sticky sauce.

Andy
  • morteon
    morteon Posts: 1
    Options
    I work for company producing these and i personally tested tens of them. They are indeed great, but you have to be careful of:
    1. not to burn it - like to to the point when the ceramic coating change color.
    2. not to scratch it - besides obvious scratching with sharp utensils it also happens when pans are stacked. Even the slight-ish scratch spoil the fun.
    IMHO if you manage to avoid points above, you'll be happy with it for years.
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i have two scanpans. they're pricy, but amazing - i conveniently got them both as gifts :) i use them both pretty much every day. nothing sticks and they wipe clean easily. i don't really even put them away, just put them back on the stove to use again at the next meal. cook on a slightly lower heat, no oil and cooking sprays needed... comes out perfectly every single time.

OH and it's generally better to never use any kind of metal utensil on any kind of non-stick pan.