Total beginner! (Help me?)

Options
Okay, so I started last week (Thrusday to be precise, I just couldnt wait until Monday!)
I've never done any form of exercise (done voluntary, that wasn't considered a "fun" activity haha) and I'm slightly discouraged by how weak I am. I've been looking up beginner videos but, I can't even do them the same length of time they can! That doesn't mean I don't try!
But what's concerning me now is, my calves are burning, for the second day in a row. My rest day was yesterday, and it just hurts very bad to move. Is there anything I can do to help the soreness? Should I push through and work out anyway? Is taking two rest days in a row bad juju if you're new?

Replies

• ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should still exercise today,but just take a brisk walk instead. This will help with your legs. Its normal to be extremely sore if this is your first time to work out ever. When I did my first Crossfit sesion, I was sore for a week (its sad, I know)
  • Maria_Cutie
    Maria_Cutie Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Walking to the bathroom from the kitchen hurts so bad! haha, Maybe waiting it out until after work would be better? I have a sit down job, so usually my muscles are even more sore afterwards, from not using them... oh the dilemma.
  • jessknickle
    jessknickle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree. I recently just started working out again, this is probably my 10th time trying to lose weight. Before I joined goodlife fitness, I did an at-home Jillian Michaels work out.. the first day I did it, I was unfortunately so sore I needed 2 resting days. I still did squats and crunches, but I just ate really healthy, drank lots of water and took a few hot baths!
  • bfinup
    bfinup Posts: 47
    Options
    There's a difference between being sore and being injured. Exercise may help relieve soreness... That being said whenever I worked out after a long break I'm sore for a week before I can really jump into working out regularly
  • Gweno11
    Gweno11 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey! I started This Monday. And today I ran 30 mins at 8kph. I burned 440 calories. It burnt my kit Kat bar. Try to think that way and you will se how easy it is !
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    trust me I know. This may be TMI, but I was so sore at one point, I couldnt even sit on the toilet seat without being in pain. It hurt because I was using my leg muscles to squat to sit and get up. I felt like every single muscle in my body was sore. It was quite ridiculous. But not to worry, with repetition, you will get there.
  • Maria_Cutie
    Options
    There's a difference between being sore and being injured. Exercise may help relieve soreness... That being said whenever I worked out after a long break I'm sore for a week before I can really jump into working out regularly
    Alright! I think, what I'll do is take a nice long hot shower, and exercise after work. Give my legs a bit more down time before I go at it again :)
  • synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C is huge for soreness and stiff muscles, make sure when you work out you get a good warm up stretch and cool down and stretch when its sore, it hurts but it will make it feel better. Aside from that just deal with it and eventually you get used to being sore. But I am normally sore 3 days post work out its just something you live with lol. just work out a different muscle group the next day. I also find yoga helps out sore muscles a bunch. Best of luck feel free to friend me if ya want
  • Maria_Cutie
    Options
    trust me I know. This may be TMI, but I was so sore at one point, I couldnt even sit on the toilet seat without being in pain. It hurt because I was using my leg muscles to squat to sit and get up. I felt like every single muscle in my body was sore. It was quite ridiculous. But not to worry, with repetition, you will get there.
    Welcome to my world right now, Except, the exercises I was doing was for my thighs, not my calves! I've always had super nice calve muscles (Thank you Marching band for 5+ years) but apparently they just kicked my *kitten*. When my thighs are sore though, usually I can push right on through it and do my work outs, but there's something about calf pain that just...makes it nearly impossible to move.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'm always more sore if I don't exercise the next day. Warm up slowly and let your muscles ease into. Keep at it but don't push so hard you injure yourself. A great website for free workouts is www.fitnessblender.com. They have all kinds of workouts for various fitness levels and you don't need any or a lot of equipment form them. Good luck!
  • Maria_Cutie
    Options
    Vitamin C is huge for soreness and stiff muscles, make sure when you work out you get a good warm up stretch and cool down and stretch when its sore, it hurts but it will make it feel better. Aside from that just deal with it and eventually you get used to being sore. But I am normally sore 3 days post work out its just something you live with lol. just work out a different muscle group the next day. I also find yoga helps out sore muscles a bunch. Best of luck feel free to friend me if ya want
    Thank you darling! I think I'll bump up my arm day to today and push my booty work out to tomorrow lol :)
  • deepuckett1
    deepuckett1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Welcome Maria. The best advice I can give is this is a life journey. It isn't a race - this is the event. It's one day, one pound sometimes one ounce a day. You will be ok!
  • jaredmcfitness
    jaredmcfitness Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think everyone's given you good advice, but I'll still throw in my two cents... 1) remember this next time, so when you start a new program you won't push *quite* as hard the first week!, 2) drink A LOT of water, 3) do light exercise and stretch before each workout, 4) stretch and drink lots of water after the workout. I've had times when I couldn't walk up/down the stairs for 2-3 days. Calves and biceps really seem to have the toughest time adjusting to a new workout after a break.

...Mainly, I say "Way to go!" for trying something new... And I would agree that even a little exercise today (like going for a walk) is better than nothing, since you're trying to build a good habit and it's your MIND that's the biggest obstacle at the start. =)
  • Maria_Cutie
    Options
    I think everyone's given you good advice, but I'll still throw in my two cents... 1) remember this next time, so when you start a new program you won't push *quite* as hard the first week!, 2) drink A LOT of water, 3) do light exercise and stretch before each workout, 4) stretch and drink lots of water after the workout. I've had times when I couldn't walk up/down the stairs for 2-3 days. Calves and biceps really seem to have the toughest time adjusting to a new workout after a break.

...Mainly, I say "Way to go!" for trying something new... And I would agree that even a little exercise today (like going for a walk) is better than nothing, since you're trying to build a good habit and it's your MIND that's the biggest obstacle at the start. =)
    Thank you! I really appreciate the kind words! And you reminded me to go chug some water haha
  • MGreensides
    MGreensides Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Running water can't freeze....keep moving even if it's only a brisk walk. And...water...stretch...repeat. I was so sore when I started that I couldn't get in and out of the bath (oh and epsom salt baths are great) and now I can run 5k no problem. Just keep plugging away at it. Slow and steady wins the race. And if you're looking for friends for this journey feel free to add me.
  • Maria_Cutie
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Now I really want to get moving. Maybe get in something tiny before I have to head to work!
    (Boo, call center)
  • Maria_Cutie
    Options
    Update: Did some squats (which helped my calves? I dunno man)
    and some arm work outs with my dumbbells :) Feeling a lot better!
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do if you are sore is get moving and warm up the muscles.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Exercise is always a great way to help with soreness. I often don't feel sore until two days after my workout, but exercising always helps alleviate the pain and make it go away faster. Also a hot bath or shower and ibuprofen.
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Great advice so far. I've been exercising for years and still get that when I start back up or try something new. I was sore for a week after my first session of P90X. I always seem to be more sore the second day after than the first.

Take it easy, but keep moving.