back pain...due to running?

Options
Ever since I started running (about 2 to 3 months ago) I have been having middle back pain. I was wondering if this is common? I don't want to stop running as I really enjoy it, but I am a bit concerned.

Replies

• kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    Yes, running isn't that great for your body. Can you maybe alternate running with something that doesn't put so much pressure on your body so it can rest in between?
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Maybe your shoes? I have found that when it comes to running, shoes make all the difference. Go to a professional running store in your area and have one of the sales reps assess your need. I think it might help make a difference.
  • writer190
    writer190 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    In response to Kimberly: Running can injury you, sure, if you're not careful, but it is one of the best forms of exercise out there, in my opinion. So it is pretty good for your body! :P

I got back pains when I started running, too. Belle has a good idea with the shoes. Also, stretch your back before and after you run. Lie on the floor on your stomach with your arms out, perpendicular to your body. Swing one leg across the other, out (towards your arm) and then back to where it was. Switch legs. Then lie on your back and repeat this. I hope I explained that well.

Also, do you sleep on your stomach? That's not great for your back. When I joined track, I had to start sleeping on my side, because the running and the sleeping on my stomach hurt my back.
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    The back pain you're seeing may be due to your body building muscle to an area of your body that is little weak, not the building muscle piece but you are targeting an area of body with this exercise that is not used to being used. This happened to me as well when I started lap swimming, and previously to me when I started running. As your body strengthens the pain will go away. Do some really good stretches after and keep moving! What a great job you're doing!!
  • Being_Healthy
    Being_Healthy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas everyone!

I really hope it isn't my shoes as I only purchased them about 2 months ago (a couple weeks after I started running as I was getting blisters from my old ones). Simply can't afford yet another pair right now.

I hope that it is due to building muscle...that would be great! I will definitely start stretching before and after.