Best options at a hibachi restaurant?

Options
My daughter's birthday is today and she has requested the local hibachi restaurant. (A Japanese steakhouse where they cook the food on the table in front of you.) Since I'm trying to be really conscience about what I'm eating, I'm hoping for some ideas on the healthiest way to order. I'm particularly concerned about the sodium and other hidden calories.

Thanks!

Replies

• Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest culprits is the copious amount of oil that they use. Not much you can do about it. Stay away from the rice and noodles, go with chicken, shrimp, or vegetarian, ask for no extra soy or terriyaki on your food.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I'd just avoid the rice if you're that worried about it. I ate at one recently and the calories really weren't that bad for everything, ie salad, soup, rice with meat and veggies, etc.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The calories aren't bad at all. We went last Friday and I ate everything and I stayed within my goals. We had miso soup, salad, shrimp, filet mignon and lobster tail, grilled veggies and 1/2 the bowl of rice for under 600 calories.

Enjoy!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The problem is the oil really. They use a lot. I'd see if they have sushi or something and get a couple rolls instead. Or just shrug it off, lol.
  • Annerk1
    Options
    The calories aren't bad at all. We went last Friday and I ate everything and I stayed within my goals. We had miso soup, salad, shrimp, filet mignon and lobster tail, grilled veggies and 1/2 the bowl of rice for under 600 calories.

Enjoy!

Did you add in all the oil they cook with?
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Bennihanna (spelling is probably way off) has some online menu calorie items that you can gauge. I would suggest boxing up half of it right away. Do an extra mini workout to ease the guilt.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options

Enjoy!

"fried rice" usually has oil factored into the calories. The 3 tablespoons they pour on the grill for 6 people is not going to add up to much once it gets divided up. ;)
  • jqh23
    Options

Enjoy!

No, I didn't even think of it. How much should I have added? It didn't look like he used that much.
  • jqh23
    Options

Enjoy!

"fried rice" usually has oil factored into the calories. The 3 tablespoons they pour on the grill for 6 people is not going to add up to much once it gets divided up. ;)
    Yeah, that is a good point.
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If they serve you the same amounts that they do at my local Hibachi, I would just ask for a box in advance and put at least half if not three quarters of it in the box. Eat what you leave on your plate and enjoy! That is my philosophy when we go there and I do love my Hibachi! Yum! :happy:
  • Annerk1
    Options

Enjoy!

I've never been to a hibachi restaurant where they only used about 3 tbsp of oil on the grill. Usually it's triple that anyhow.
  • jqh23
    Options
    Even still.. how much of that oil are you really eating then 1-2 tbsp? Isn't it olive oil?
  • Brandilynnrose
    Options
    You can request steamed brown or white rice instead of having the fried rice. If you do that and stay away from the dipping sauces, your meal won't be too bad. I have never eaten an entire mean from a hibachi place in one sitting, I always bring at least 1/2 home.
  • Peanutbutterx
    Peanutbutterx Posts: 332
    Options
    stir fry : ) veggies w/ chicken, lean steak, scallops, seafood
  • Annerk1
    Options
    Even still.. how much of that oil are you really eating then 1-2 tbsp? Isn't it olive oil?

No--it's the cheapest peanut, corn, or canola oil they can buy.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Do they have a menu you can take a look at so you can decide before you go? Post it here. I'm hungry.
  • kathicooks
    kathicooks Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I did a Hibachi place on a cruise (yup, one of the fancy restaurants you pay extra for) and told them that I'm diabetic and would like extra vegetables...everyone else at the table was jealous of the enormous pile of lovely garlicky, stir-fried vegetables they made for me. i didn't share a bite of them! I figured i'd cope with the oil in place of the carbs and just enjoyed the whole thing.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I usually just avoid rice and/or noodles and skip appetizers. I also make sure I take at least 1/2 of it home, because even the amount of meat & veggies they give you is insane!!!!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Eat all the foods, don't feel guilty and then go back to regular eating habits the next day!
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Skip the noodles and rice.
    Stick with vegetables and meat/fish/shrimp or tofu (they usually have it even if it isn't on the menu).
    Bring a lot home.
    Do some extra exercise today and tomorrow.
    Eat lighter rest of today and tomorrow to even out the calorie splurge.

Finally, relax and live a little. It is a party.