Understanding Calorie Count on myfitnesspal

Options
Hello,

As per my age, weight and height, my daily calorie intake should be 1600, but to lose weight my intake should be 1200 calories/day as guided by my dietician.

I use this site to log the daily food intakes. When I start logging my food, I notice that I cover 1200 calories until evening snacks and if I have dinner, I am putting some extra calories. I work out twice a day and burn about 350-375 calories each workout i.e. 700-750/day.

When I log the exercise, my food diary gets updated on its own and shows that I can consume more. (Eg: if I burn 375 in morning, the food diary shows my daily intake should be 1200+375 = 1575 calories/day)

Is this correct? Do I need to intake the amount of calories I burn daily? Or do I have to stick to 1200 calories/day even after I exercise?

Replies

• rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    you are supposed to eat back workout calories.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    MFP is working the way it is supposed to work.

That said, you are trying to compare MFP's recommendations to that of your dietitian. Don't. Pick one and go with it. Mixing or comparing approaches leads to headaches, and in some cases failure.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    MFP sets your calorie goal by the information you add. So age, height, weight, etc and how much you want to lose a week. It takes your deficit and gives you a number...say 1200 calories. This includes what you need to lose the desired weekly 1-2lbs or whatever you chose. When you exercise "Your Daily Goal" changes to include the new calories you earned so your original deficit remains the same.

If you eat 1200 calories a day and burn 300 you're only really getting 900 calories...not 1200.
  • optimisticShark
    optimisticShark Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    True if I eat 1200 and burn 300, I am actually taking in 900 only. But if I eat 300 back i.e. total it back to 1200, does it mean I only lose 400 deficit instead of 400 + 300 = 700 per day?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    True if I eat 1200 and burn 300, I am actually taking in 900 only. But if I eat 300 back i.e. total it back to 1200, does it mean I only lose 400 deficit instead of 400 + 300 = 700 per day?

Correct. I think, if I'm following your numbers correctly.

That's the way MFP works. It calculates a deficit for you to help reach your goal. It assumes NO exercise. When you exercise you burn additional cals that you should eat back to maintain the deficit MFP calculated for you.