how do you make YOUR hummus?:)

Options
Happymom83
Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
So I LOVE hummus!:love: I usually just buy premade(from a local company at my growers market:bigsmile: ) But I'd like to start making my own...So Im wanting ideas!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I drop a can of black beans in the food processor with a tbsp of olive oil, some sea salt, and a bit of roasted garlic or onion. OMNOMNOMNOM.
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I love a **** TON of kalamata olives in it.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I drain a can of chickpeas over a bowl then rinse the beans and toss them into the food processor with a bit of olive oil, some garlic, cumin, one of these: sriracha/roasted red pepper/jalapeno, a Tbsp or so of tahini, and a little liquid drained from the can to help reach the desired consistency. Just pulse it up and chill.

Edit: forgot cumin
  • patricemeredithclarke
    patricemeredithclarke Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    1 can of chickpeas drained, 1 can of black beans drained, 4 huge cloves of garlic, juice of 1 lemon (or more!), 1 seeded jalapeno, cumin, salt, and pepper... I don't add any additional fat... if I need liquid for consistency I use more lemon juice or water... so good!!
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I haven't made any but I really want to so this would be good to know!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    lot of hummus posts the last few weeks. Use the search tool...............................
  • Lanae7
    Lanae7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I drain a can of chickpeas over a bowl then rinse the beans and toss them into the food processor with a bit of olive oil, some garlic, cumin, one of these: sriracha/roasted red pepper/jalapeno, a Tbsp or so of tahini, and a little liquid drained from the can to help reach the desired consistency. Just pulse it up and chill.

I follow the same recipe, sans the jalapeno.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    1 can of chickpeas drained, 1 can of black beans drained, 4 huge cloves of garlic, juice of 1 lemon (or more!), 1 seeded jalapeno, cumin, salt, and pepper... I don't add any additional fat... if I need liquid for consistency I use more lemon juice or water... so good!!

bump. That sounds delicious!
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    been meaning to try this recipe for sweet potato hummus
    http://www.wholeliving.com/133217/sweet-potato-hummus
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Cannellini beans, garlic sauteed in olive oil, and rosemary. Mash up and spread on toasted whole wheat pita points.

(I don't care for chickpeas at all.)
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained, juice of half a lemon, garlic (I use the paste that comes in tubes), 2 or more tablespoons of tahini, dash of cayenne, salt. Process until smooth, adding water until hummus is the consistency you want. I don't put olive oil in the hummus itself, but often drizzle it on top before serving.

Additions according to mood: black olives, roasted red pepper, jalapeno, fresh parsley.

Also like white bean spreads, black bean spreads, and now I think I need to dig up an old Moosewood recipe for a feta/walnut spread...
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas, tahini, loads of garlic, more cumin than it seems like you should need, coriander, lemon juice, olive oil. Destroy.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options

NEVER forget the cumin!!! :happy:
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
  • Becca308
    Becca308 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do the standard canned chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, salt, pepper, cumin... and I also add chipotle for a kick. Yummy!
  • Jeffrey_S
    Jeffrey_S Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Here's my basic recipe, put all in a food processor or blender including the reserved liquid from the can of beans. I also add whatever suits my mood, typically pimento stuffed olives...but the possibilities are endless.

1 15-ounce can garbanzos
    (reserve 1/4 cup liquid)
    1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    2 large garlic cloves, peeled and cut into thirds
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    salt to taste
    Olive oil to drizzle
    parsley for garnish
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options