What is the best eating plan for life?

Options
stacyshan
stacyshan Posts: 16 Member
There are so many eating plans out there, all contradicting one another, theories changing & I don't believe a calorie is a calorie, so how do you decide? Do you think it's a customized thing, different for each individual & how do you figure it all out, in this world of almost too much information? So many successes on MFP surely it's no secret, who of you have figured it out & how?

Replies

• lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    What do you mean you don't believe a calorie is a calorie?
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    The best plan is the one you can stick to. Cutting out or seriously restricting certain foods is, in my opinion, a sure fire way to set most people up for failure (unless you have a true allergy to it, of course, or need to for other medical reasons).

Hit your calorie goal (a moderate deficit to lose, then up it as you near maintenance); hit your macro and micronutrient goals. Then fill up on whatever you want.

This is generally referred to around here as IIFYM (If it fits your macros).
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    For me, it's simple! Healthier choices, Moderation, Substitution and Portion Control. That is what has made me successful!

I try to eat clean and make healthier choices 80-90% of the time. Of course, I do have my guilty pleasures so I MODERATE how often I have these said pleasures. And of course, portion control. I watch my portions with meals, snacks and with my guilty pleasures. And then the Substitution. If I am craving chips, then I will sub it for Kale chips, air-popped popcorn or Special K Cracker chips. If I am craving ice cream then I whip up my own homemade frozen Yogurt (Greek yogurt and mixed berries tossed in a muffin cup and then put in the freezer for 20 minutes. YUM!) Of course, If I just want the real deal then again I moderate how often and watch my portion size.

I think the reason so many plans contradict each other is because an eating plan is meant to be personal. What works for one person may not work for another. It's all about finding a program that works best for YOU and a program that you can manage for a lifetime. :smile:
  • stacyshan
    Options
    To Lina, I don't believe all calories are equal, so it's not as simple as a calorie # to live by.
  • stacyshan
    Options
    The best plan is the one you can stick to. Cutting out or seriously restricting certain foods is, in my opinion, a sure fire way to set most people up for failure (unless you have a true allergy to it, of course, or need to for other medical reasons).

Hit your calorie goal (a moderate deficit to lose, then up it as you near maintenance); hit your macro and micronutrient goals. Then fill up on whatever you want.

I agree to your best plan & it sounds like my macro's & micronutrient goals are where I am sorely lacking & ignorant. Where/how do I figure all that out?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    To Lina, I don't believe all calories are equal, so it's not as simple as a calorie # to live by.

But....you're on a calorie counting site..that gives you a calorie #....

Edit: stupid typo. :grumble:
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you get seven responses, you'll get eight different opinions...
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi Stacy -

I am not at maintenance yet, but I am planning to try maybe 5:2 or even JUDDD....good recent research on the IF approach.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Choose your priorities regarding nutrition. Choose the foods that you like and that help you fulfil those priorities, and create your own plan. There's no one right way of eating.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Edit to be less snotty today.

I need a beer *L*
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    There are so many eating plans out there, all contradicting one another, theories changing & I don't believe a calorie is a calorie, so how do you decide? Do you think it's a customized thing, different for each individual & how do you figure it all out, in this world of almost too much information? So many successes on MFP surely it's no secret, who of you have figured it out & how?

I eat whatever I want, it's mostly healthy (pats self on back), sometimes chocolate happens (oooops). But I consistently stay in my calorie goal, log everything, use commonsense (twinkie v. carrot sticks...hmmm which one is healthier), I've eliminated NOTHING from my diet. This works for me!!
  • stacyshan
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, after this site, I am a lifetime believer in the almighty calorie & believe it an essential tool, but just one important piece of the puzzle & I'm finding nutrition not as simplistic as the calorie.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, after this site, I am a lifetime believer in the almighty calorie & believe it an essential tool, but just one important piece of the puzzle & I'm finding nutrition not as simplistic as the calorie.
    I think that's the cool thing about this site. You can use the calorie counting as a base to create your own ideal diet. Clearly, not everyone agrees with you about the "a calorie ≠ a calorie" thing, It doesn't matter though. They can do things their way, and you can do things yours. If you think that certain foods are better, then base your diet around them.

If you're not sure where to start, maybe start focusing on one thing at a time in your diary, whether it's trying to get more protein, or more fibre, or a certain number of vegetables or whatever. Make gradual changes, and you'll end up with your own perfect plan. :smile:
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

I agree to your best plan & it sounds like my macro's & micronutrient goals are where I am sorely lacking & ignorant. Where/how do I figure all that out?

Well, I'm a big believer in KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid). It's very easy to over think it. I eat fresh when I can, but don't sweat the odd processed meal.

For macros - figure out first how much protein you need. I lift heavy for most of my exercise, so I aim for 1 g/lb. For my weight (166 lb) that works out to roughly 40% of my calories requirement.

Then, I do have to limit carbs as I am prediabetic. I set that at 30%, and spread them through the day. I forget exactly what the numbers are, but I think that works out to about 30 g per meal, plus some for snacks. I limit portion sizes of white rice or pasta, but don't cut them out totally. Your body needs some carbs for fuel.

The rest is fat. Other than trans fat, I don't worry about fat. I'll eat a nice juicy ribeye or burger, or bacon. But lots of chicken and fish too. My cholesterol was a little too high a year ago, but it is coming down now.

For micros - eat a variety of fresh fruit and veggies.

Oh, and beer. Plenty of homebrew for the B vitamins in the yeast. [Optional :wink: ]

That's about it. Works for me. I've been at maintenance for about a year, after losing 40 lbs. I don't even log anymore, as I kinda know where I am now. [I do check my blood sugar though, and primarily eat to that. If it is too high, I know I had too many carbs in one meal.]
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    I find this a weird question when you are on a calorie counting website, presumably having success with your weight loss using said calorie counting website? Theres your answer for a life long eating plan.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    The best plan for eating for life?

The one you can stick with for life.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    When does a calorie NOT equal a calorie?

Never, because math.