Potatoes vs. Whole Wheat Bread vs. Brown Rice

Options
13»

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I know that when losing weight and keeping it off, it's best to avoid these three items. But if one has to choose, which is the best nutrition-wise to eat sparingly?

"You know" wrong. You do not need to avoid those three items to lose weight and maintain said lost weight.

The only factor to losing weight = calorie deficit.

I've been perusing the boards for some time now and keep seeing that phrase: "calorie deficit." What does that mean?

Simple explanation:
    Say you have to eat 5000 calories (just an example) to maintain your weight. If you remove 500 calories from that, you'd be eating 4500 calories and would be in a caloric deficit. You'd be eating less calories than it takes to maintain your weight and would therefore lose weight.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I know that when losing weight and keeping it off, it's best to avoid these three items. But if one has to choose, which is the best nutrition-wise to eat sparingly?

"You know" wrong. You do not need to avoid those three items to lose weight and maintain said lost weight.

The only factor to losing weight = calorie deficit.

I've been perusing the boards for some time now and keep seeing that phrase: "calorie deficit." What does that mean?

BadNews-BangHead.gif
  • princelukas777
    Options
    I'd probably encourage you to EAT them, and NOT NOT eat them, LOL.

Carbs get a ton of bad rap, and it's totally unnecessary! As long as you're getting your adequate intake of carbs, protein, and fats (assuming they're from natural, whole sources like potatoes and whole wheat products) then I say you should be fine! Don't sweat it and eat up, my friend! =D
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    None of those things sound appetizing at all.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    It depends... If you are diabetic a baked russet potatoes would have a glycemic value of 85. The brown rice is 55 moderate and whole wheat bread is 69. The best choice then is the brown rice. If you ate not diabetic then it doesn't matter as long as it fits in your calories.

Calorie deficit = eat less than you burn.
  • GetNew81
    GetNew81 Posts: 26
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I'm learning a lot. And still slightly confused.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I ate all three things while losing weight with adf (alternate day intermittent fasting) and had no problems. Since transitioning into maintenance though, I've decided to eat primal and have cut out wheat. I still eat white rice and potatoes though. My maintenance carb range is around 100-125 a day :)
  • Sarcastic_Hate
    Sarcastic_Hate Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i eat Potatoes mashed everyday two times a day and i am losing one pound a day so i think its all about calories and working out :)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I eat all 3 of those along with anything else I feel I want and have managed to lose a few pounds..... :drinker:
  • jeda1231
    jeda1231 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    the only reason I do not eat whole wheat bread is because of a gluten allergy! I wouldn't focus on what is "good" or "bad" just balance it!!! I consumer like 250g of carbs a day - some whole grains but most fruits and veggies - and have been losing the weight/inches I have wanted!! Focus on reading the ingredients and being able to pronouce all of them!! That's usually how I decide :) Potatoes - I lean toward sweet potatoes for flavor :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've had all of them today. Except I had white rice instead of brown. Just not too crazy about brown rice. I have a baked potato about 3-4 times a week. Some form of bread daily. If I'm not having rice, it's because I'm having pasta or pizza.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat potatoes, but not much rice or bread.
    Potatoes are of the earth and I like that, plus they contain a lot of potassium and various other nutrients.
  • hilarymcm
    hilarymcm Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you're not overeating these things, you're fine! Potatoes are very nutritious as long as you're not eating them fried all the time. If you're bored with these three things, try plantains, yuca, farro, etc.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options

Lol its best to eat all of them
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I remember hearing a researcher on NPR last year say that one shouldn't eat potatoes more than once a week in order to lose weight.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-potatoes

That's pretty good.