Excess sugar - what's the outcome?

Options
Hi,
I regularly have too much sugar according to the nutritional profile on MFP, and it bothers me that I don't actually know what the effect on me is!! So a banana, some special K with red berries, an apple and a couple of cups of tea can send me over the limit. Can anyone tell me what my body will do with the excess sugar (sorry - I know this is probably really ignorant as questions go!!).
Thanks for your help!

Replies

• lighttekkie
    Options
    Depends on the kind of sugar... its kind of complicated... but for the most part if its a fruit with the skin on breaks down differently than white sugar... obviously strawberries are better for you than sour patch kids... as a sugar addict I was given a book on it and it talks about how sugar breaks down and which ones are easier for your body to break down.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Here is an article that is very informative on sugar.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T045000.asp
  • yazi_livefit
    yazi_livefit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The excess sugars are stored in your body in a form of Fats. Just remember to always read your labels before purchasing the products. Too much sugar, carbs, fats even proteins will always cause you to not lose or even gain extra weigh even though you have stayed within or under your calorie goal. So beware and make sure to stay below the daily need on these as well.
  • Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    Options
    Keep sugars and fats separated best as possible.

Without going all chemistry on your *kitten*, realize your body will have a natural insulin spike to sugars. Some of which is perfectly acceptable because it is the insulin that opens the key to your cells to allow transportation of nutrients. Having said that, if one consumes large amounts of sugar with large amounts of fats, your body is going to shuttle fats into cells.

It is ideal to try and keep fat intake separated from heavy carb/sugary meals.

It is ideal to eat these fast acting, quick energy meals before working out, as it supplies a readily available energy source for your body. Once your through burning available fuels, your body turns to your glycogen- after your glycogen it goes after your muscles...and that is when things start to get a bit more complicated.

Long story short- Don't let yourself eat these sort of meals later in the day, and always keep carbs in moderation and sugars to a minimum. Fruits are great because it is those sugars that floods your body with all the vitamins and minerals.
  • mrsyatesy
    mrsyatesy Posts: 173
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    Thanks everyone - it kills me that vegetables and fruit can be so high in sugar, it's not even that I'm eating processed rubbish that I can understand!! Anyway, I am going to try to follow the advice, thanks again for taking the time.